• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite sporting images

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tommie Smith's & John Carlos's black power salute at the 1968 Olympics. Still a powerful image nearly 40 years on:

I personally think that Muhammad Ali is the most overrated human being ever (not adverse to calling a man like Joe Frazier an "Uncle Tom"), so here's our 'Enry depositing him on his arse:

& the twin peaks of English sport; Bobby Moore:

& Martin Johnson:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Seriously though...

Jordan's last shot for the Bulls in 1998. I used to have a much better picture where you could see the facial expressions of the fans.

pasag

RTDAS
This is the greatest sporting image ever imo.

From wiki:

Winmar is best remembered for his reaction to overt racism from the crowd at Victoria Park when he faced the offending segments of the crowd, lifted his Guernsey and defiantly pointed to his skin (at the end of a game between St Kilda and Collingwood) in 1993. This act led to far-reaching reform in the AFL in respect of racism in the game.
But it's a whole lot more than that tbh. It was about one man standing up to racism and telling the crowd he was proud of who he was and that they should go **** themselves. Meh, no explanation can do it justice but it's the greatest sporting image ever imo. Nothing beats it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Not good quality, screenshot of a youtube clip, but it's Jonty Rhodes running out Inzamam in the '92 WC.
I used to have a superb full scale poster of that run out. Think I have lost it now. The best picture of Rhodes was by a Hindu photographer where he is stretching, hands stretched as well and parallel to the ground in the air stopping a ball. Think I might find it in one of the Sportstar magazines in my library from the period. Wisden wanted to publish the same in their millenium edition where they had one photograph for each decade but Hindu didn't give them permission I think.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, as much as I love Rafter (one of my favs ever), it would have been tragic had Goran never won Wimbledon.

Coming in as a wildcard only due to his past record at Wimbledon, and then winning the thing from nowhere, brilliant story.

I always said Rafter is stiff, because in 2000 he came up against Sampras in the final who needed to win that grand slam to break the record. Then he comes up against a Goran on a mission in 2001.

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, as much as I love Rafter (one of my favs ever), it would have been tragic had Goran never won Wimbledon.

Coming in as a wildcard only due to his past record at Wimbledon, and then winning the thing from nowhere, brilliant story.

I always said Rafter is stiff, because in 2000 he came up against Sampras in the final who needed to win that grand slam to break the record. Then he comes up against a Goran on a mission in 2001.
Meh, it'll always be one of life's grand injustices that Rafter never won Wimbledon and Hewitt did.

Fiery

Banned
Not a Crusaders fan but that was a legendary moment.
Yeah, good old Mehrts. My favourite All Black of all-time Christian Cullen officially retired yesterday...damn you for stuffing his career John Mitchell.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Meh, it'll always be one of life's grand injustices that Rafter never won Wimbledon and Hewitt did.
True. Hewitt was in his prime though, and he came up against Nalbandian who was far from ready to win a slam. Probably will never win one.

Just circumstances really.

What Rafter does have is back-to-back US Open titles including owning Phillipousis in one of them :D

Also another footy image that I think is powerful but I can't for the life of me find is Rohan Smith punching the turf at the end of the 1997 preliminary final vs. Adelaide. Has stuck with me throughout my time watching footy.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not a Crusaders fan but that was a legendary moment.
Neither am I, Highlanders/Hurricanes for me. Born in Invercagill so that explains the Highlanders, and my father bought me a Hurricanes jersey in one of the first Super 12's so I supported them, brilliant whenever Hurricanes beat the Highlanders.

That pretty much summed up every watching NZers thoughts at that moment. Yes we lost the World Cup but put this in your pipe and smoke it SA.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It's best if you don't support the Highlanders, Athlai. It hurts too much...

Anyway, here's one - and I'd like to point out colour photography was available in 1987...