• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arsenal FC

Are Arsenal better with or without Henry??

• We are better without Henry

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • We need henry back

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Nishant

International 12th Man
Well...as a die hard arsenal fan...i thought it was abt time a thread dedicated to this wonderful football club was opened.

Th main Q for us arsenal fans is, how is our team gonna do nxt yr!

So, any thoughts?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We'll be up there again, but whether we'll have the squad to mount a serious title challenge is anyone's guess. A lot depends on the close season. I'd like a centre-half & a striker as we've looked short in both areas this year when injuries have struck.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Hey btw, i though you Arsenal fans would like to know that one of your most adoring fans is none other than the most wanted man in the world, OBL.......yes, its true. :)

Nishant

International 12th Man
We'll be up there again, but whether we'll have the squad to mount a serious title challenge is anyone's guess. A lot depends on the close season. I'd like a centre-half & a striker as we've looked short in both areas this year when injuries have struck.
yep...thats what i was thinking as well!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Not really, unless something akin to the plague strikes Chelsea and Manure the simple and obvious answer is no.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not really, unless something akin to the plague strikes Chelsea and Manure the simple and obvious answer is no.
Well no. Given we've beaten ManUre twice & drawn at Stamford Badge we aren't a million miles away from either when we have a full team. We lack their depth tho.

Scaly piscine

Well no. Given we've beaten ManUre twice & drawn at Stamford Badge we aren't a million miles away from either when we have a full team. We lack their depth tho.
Meaningless. Manure and Chelsea can consistently churn out wins. The CDMs regularly drop points because they're a bunch of softies who would sooner pout and whine than do what it takes to grind out results when things don't go their way.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Simply not true. I doubt very much if there's a more competitive central midfield pairing than Fabregas & Gilberto. We've lost games we should've drawn & drawn games we should've won for two main reasons:

1) We've playing a zonal defence & our centre-halves (when Gallas is out and/or playing at full-back) lack the physical presence to make the system work. It's no coincidence that our defence issues have become more apparent since Sol Campbell left. We’d be better served with a man-marking system for mine.

2) We lack width & are trying to play the ball through teams too much. Teams that have the most success against us are those who face us with two banks of four because we don't have serious wing options just now.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
another frustrating season for the goonies. missing their best centre back in gallas and their two best goalscorers rvp and henry for huge chunks of the season hasn't helped. would be like chelsea missing terry, drogba and lampard, or united missing ronaldo, rooney and ferdinand.

we do need width though badly, alex hleb is one of the worst players i've ever seen play for arsenal, should be shipped out quick.

Scaly piscine

Simply not true. I doubt very much if there's a more competitive central midfield pairing than Fabregas & Gilberto. We've lost games we should've drawn & drawn games we should've won for two main reasons:

1) We've playing a zonal defence & our centre-halves (when Gallas is out and/or playing at full-back) lack the physical presence to make the system work. It's no coincidence that our defence issues have become more apparent since Sol Campbell left. We’d be better served with a man-marking system for mine.

2) We lack width & are trying to play the ball through teams too much. Teams that have the most success against us are those who face us with two banks of four because we don't have serious wing options just now.
Oh wait... what did I say again?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh wait... what did I say again?
That we're a "bunch of softies". We aren't; it's a question of height and weight at centre-half. No-where else. Toure is a very decent defender, but he's not a beast like Campbell was or (say) Terry is now. He doesn't have the size to dominate an area like they can/could, so he'd be better served as a man-marker.

Nishant

International 12th Man
This is quite late news...but Arsenal have a new goalie...stats look good...anyone actually seen him play? Hope he does well!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
another striker, centre back & full-back would do Arsenal very well. Hopefully they don't lose Henry though that would be a HUGE set-back.

Scaly piscine

another striker, centre back & full-back would do Arsenal very well. Hopefully they don't lose Henry though that would be a HUGE set-back.
Not really, he wasn't much cop this season just gone and he's past his best. The CDMs will be far better off selling him, like they should have done over a year ago.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah Scaly's actually right about Henry, they should have sold him last summer, they'd have got double what they'd get if they want to sell him now. All in hindsight of course...

They might as well keep him now IMO.

Nishant

International 12th Man
c'mon guys...surely u cant be serious abt Henry! Its just one poor season...im sure he'll be back with a bang nxt season. He's been injured most of the time, but he has played..he's done okay...its just we are used to him pulling off brilluance all the time. But i reckon he is still our no. 1 striker. Henry-van persie-adebayor as our strikers will rule nxt season!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
another frustrating season for the goonies. missing their best centre back in gallas and their two best goalscorers rvp and henry for huge chunks of the season hasn't helped. would be like chelsea missing terry, drogba and lampard, or united missing ronaldo, rooney and ferdinand.

we do need width though badly, alex hleb is one of the worst players i've ever seen play for arsenal, should be shipped out quick.
Word out on the width factor, but i honestly don't think Hleb is that bad TBH not scored many goals that i can remember but he seems a good player. I am a bit surprised Arsenal didn't get Ribery given though, thought he was a shoe in to join Arsenal.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
c'mon guys...surely u cant be serious abt Henry! Its just one poor season...im sure he'll be back with a bang nxt season. He's been injured most of the time, but he has played..he's done okay...its just we are used to him pulling off brilluance all the time. But i reckon he is still our no. 1 striker. Henry-van persie-adebayor as our strikers will rule nxt season!
Just seen this post, obviously Henry's still a good player, but if they're going to sell him this summer (which is beginning to look likely) then, in hindsight if they'd sold him last summer, when the offers were also there, they'd have got a lot more money, and missed out on an average season from Henry this season.