• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arsenal FC

Are Arsenal better with or without Henry??

• We are better without Henry

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • We need henry back

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Tom Halsey

International Coach
fortunately spurs have started pretty badly.
Same amount of points as they had at this point last season though. Having said that I agree that anything less than fourth would be a huge shock, contrary to what the media will tell you, the big four will remain the big four for a few years yet I imagine.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's all rather scary, really. We're getting a worryingly good run of results & both ManUre & yer Chavs are looking really rather toilet. Admittedly Sevilla are really the only decent team we've played thus far, but they were dispatched with the minimum of fuss.

Still can't quite believe we can win the Prem, but we're 2 points clear with a game in hand & don't play a top 4 team until Liverpool on October 28. You never know, you really don't.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It's all rather scary, really. We're getting a worryingly good run of results & both ManUre & yer Chavs are looking really rather toilet.
Chavs - agreed.

United - grinding out results despite not playing well, rather similarly to the back-end of last season. And, while I've only seen (extended) highlights, I reckon we played quite well last Sunday.

Think Arsenal might put in a decent challenge for the title personally. Don't know about them winning it, but they've looked a lot better than Liverpool (thankfully the mass media seem to be back to criticizing Benitez rather than thinking Liverpool will win the league) against marginally better opposition.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The gunners have chance, their home/away games verses the United, Chelsea & Liverpool will go along way in deciding if their young talented squad go win. But personally i won't want them to win since they won't be the true English champions given all the foreigners in their squad which is sooooo different to back in the days.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The gunners have chance, their home/away games verses the United, Chelsea & Liverpool will go along way in deciding if their young talented squad go win. But personally i won't want them to win since they won't be the true English champions given all the foreigners in their squad which is sooooo different to back in the days.
back in the days???

what are you on about!? silly boy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
back in the days???

what are you on about!? silly boy.
Fair go. Aussie has a point; the team that won the first Arsenal title I remember (88/89) only had one "foreigner": David O'Leary. Their ranks had swelled to two by 90/91 with the acquisition of Anders Limpar.

Nowadays we're reliant on Theo "One Goal" Walcott & Justin Hoyte (whose first team appearances will doubtless be curtailed by Sagna) for our pommieness. Although Almunia qualifies on residence next year & apparently fancies a go.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You don't even have to go so far back, my early days of following football during United's treble season & up to a few years back when Arsenal won the league unbeaten if my memory serves me correctly. The likes of Adams, Campbell, Cole, Keown, Dixon, Seaman, Wright, Parlour mixed with the foreigners that you are well aware of gave the gunners a solid mixture of local & foreign players. Totally different case now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You don't even have to go so far back, my early days of following football during United's treble season & up to a few years back when Arsenal won the league unbeaten if my memory serves me correctly. The likes of Adams, Campbell, Cole, Keown, Dixon, Seaman, Wright, Parlour mixed with the foreigners that you are well aware of gave the gunners a solid mixture of local & foreign players. Totally different case now.
Nah, when we won it unbeaten only Cashley & big Sol were really regulars. Arsene's been phasing English players out since he arrived. He did inherit the famous back four/five, but most of his English signings have been merde. Whither Franny Jeffers & Richard Wright now?*

*Yes, I know they're being ****e for Wednesday & bench-warming for the Irons, respectively. I'm being rhetorical.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, when we won it unbeaten only Cashley & big Sol were really regulars. Arsene's been phasing English players out since he arrived. He did inherit the famous back four/five, but most of his English signings have been merde. Whither Franny Jeffers & Richard Wright now?*

*Yes, I know they're being ****e for Wednesday & bench-warming for the Irons, respectively. I'm being rhetorical.
Well i wasn't refering solely to the season when Arsenal won the league unbeaten that all those English players were present. I was refering to a 4 to 5 year period when all those home grown players were part of the Arsenal set up. But i understand where you are coming from BB sir...

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Well i was refering solely to the season when Arsenal won the league unbeaten that all those English players were present. I was refering to a 4 to 5 year period when all those home grown players were part of the Arsenal set up. But i understand where you are coming from BB sir...
lol....home grown players like who? the only regular home grown player in that period was ashley cole, there were others who made sporadic appearances...but that was it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
oh dear, i probably was not too clear but with you i never am. When i said home grown i meant English players who were born here & came through all the various levels of football until they reached the premiership i.e Cole, Campbell, Adams, Parlour etc. If i wanted to say players came up through the Arsenal ranks i would have said that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
regardless, the fact of the matter is, english players are too expensive, whereas more talented players from abroad are cheaper, its hardly surprising that things have gone this way.

Nishant

International 12th Man
You really didnt think id forget abt this thread did you?? :)

Arsenal to win the premiership this season!!!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Tbh, I would be surprised if they match the efforts of last season, top four is assured but I personally don't foresee a title challenge, feel free to dig this up in May when they've made me look like an idiot.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To be fair this time last year everyone was saying 2007/8 would be the season the Spurts finally overhaul us & look how that ended up. Slightly better luck with injuries and we could've pushed United even harder.

I'd like to see a striker & a centre-half signed up tho. Hleb can eff off too; one half decent season in 3 & he thinks he's Overmars or something.

Agent TBY

International Captain
To be fair this time last year everyone was saying 2007/8 would be the season the Spurts finally overhaul us & look how that ended up. Slightly better luck with injuries and we could've pushed United even harder.

I'd like to see a striker & a centre-half signed up tho. Hleb can eff off too; one half decent season in 3 & he thinks he's Overmars or something.
OT, but your location amuses me no end. :laugh: