• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Anyone else will be watching this? Hasn't been a fight this huge for a long time, and I'm looking forward to it.

My money is on the Golden Boy, even though Mayweather has a very good shot. I might make a bet, but I hate betting against boxers like Mayweather. Anyone else?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Heavily over hyped fight that the Golden Boy and Mayweather have worked hard to promote.

De La Hoya was always overrated and he is now an over rated has been. Mayweather should win but I will not be tuning in.

Majin

International Debutant
I'll be watching, want De La Hoya to win but think Mayweather is more likely.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
What time is it on around these parts, anyone?

De La Hoya is awesome, so it'd be great to see him get up again, but Mayweather will probably win. I'll watch it if it's available and not too expensive, otherwise I'll try and catch a replay when it's not PPV.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
floyds footspeed will prove too much for oscar sadly, i can see him running rings round de la hoya all night. oscars only real chance is to come out and try and blitz the 'pretty boy' early with that wicked left hand of his. massively overhyped fight though, calzaghe-kessler is the one people really want to see.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Only way Mayweather will win is if he's on his heels all fight. De La Hoya is naturally a bigger fighter so should win fairly comfortably, Mayweather just won't be able to hurt him. Mayweather was 4lbs inside the 11st limit which suggests he's a blown-up light-welter fighting as a light-middleweight.

Mayweather is a complete tool too.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Only way Mayweather will win is if he's on his heels all fight. De La Hoya is naturally a bigger fighter so should win fairly comfortably, Mayweather just won't be able to hurt him. Mayweather was 4lbs inside the 11st limit which suggests he's a blown-up light-welter fighting as a light-middleweight.

Mayweather is a complete tool too.
all this means nothing. the art of boxing is hitting and not getting hit, mayweather is one of the masters of this. he can dart in and out all night scoring points off oscar without hurting him, he is so much quicker than oscar that oscar will tire from just trying to keep up with him, and any follower of de la hoyas career will know that he tires horribly in the last 3-4 rounds of fights.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
all this means nothing. the art of boxing is hitting and not getting hit, mayweather is one of the masters of this. he can dart in and out all night scoring points off oscar without hurting him, he is so much quicker than oscar that oscar will tire from just trying to keep up with him, and any follower of de la hoyas career will know that he tires horribly in the last 3-4 rounds of fights.
A good big 'un will generally beat a good little 'un. Mayweather likes to fight off the back foot too, so he's going to have De La Hoya's jab in his face all night. Mayweather might just keep out of harm's way to scramble a points win, but I think you're seriously underestimating De La Hoya's accuracy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Worth a punt then Brumby? Because Mayweather is a massive favourite going by the bookies.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dunno. I've steered you wrongly before IIRC. :ph34r:
Haha. I'm not talking anything big, I very rarely bet big on sports I have no clue about with regard to who is good and who isn't (except snooker, because I never lose when betting on snooker). Just something small.

I'm just surprised as to how short Mayweather is considering the split discussion that has occurred in this thread.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. I'm not talking anything big, I very rarely bet big on sports I have no clue about with regard to who is good and who isn't (except snooker, because I never lose when betting on snooker). Just something small.

I'm just surprised as to how short Mayweather is considering the split discussion that has occurred in this thread.
De La Hoya is probably going to be a stone heavy going into the fight, which gives him an ‘advantage’ and you find De La Hoya is the non boxing enthusiast’s darling (hence the split discussion). Book markers favour Mayweather for his the real deal, whilst De La Hoya is a romanticised figure, who like his supporters live on past glories.

Betting on boxing is something I would never do for all you need is one lucky punch but Mayweather is the better man.

Last edited:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
A good big 'un will generally beat a good little 'un. Mayweather likes to fight off the back foot too, so he's going to have De La Hoya's jab in his face all night. Mayweather might just keep out of harm's way to scramble a points win, but I think you're seriously underestimating De La Hoya's accuracy.
i do not underestimate oscars skills at all, but you need to get near floyd to hurt him, his footspeed is absolutely incredible, i just cant't see past mayweather UD.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone else perplexed that Mayweather's own father came out and admitted that he felt De La Hoya won the fight on points?

I wouldn't be exactly pleased with daddy if I was Mayweather.