Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Which sport do you think is the best of all?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Soccer

13 29.55%
  • Baseball

3 6.82%
  • Cricket

34 77.27%
  • Swimming

2 4.55%
  • American football

3 6.82%
  • Golf

3 6.82%
  • Rugby

9 20.45%
  • Volleyball

3 6.82%
  • Dodgeball

3 6.82%
  • Hockey

4 9.09%
  • Basketball

4 9.09%
  • Tennis

2 4.55%
  • A.F.L.

7 15.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which sport do you think is best?

Icon5 Which sport do you think is best?

The title asks the question.

Which sport is your favourite or you think is the best?

Cricket, hands down.
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

International Coach
    Cricket and "Soccer", joint.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Breakout Champion!
    Rugby League.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    From that selection, cricket.

Lots of sports I like that should be on there but are virtually unknown in the Anglo-American cultural sphere of influence, however.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricket and AFL equally.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Basketball, cricket.

To follow on from Vimes's point (although I would disagree about the Anglo-American sphere of influence regarding team sports as us & the seppos barely share one in common) I don't think one can really say one sport is intrinsically better than another, merely that one enjoys a particular sport more personally. Gun to head I'd probably say if I had to choose one sport to watch solely for the rest of my life it'd be association football, but that's because I've got about a quarter of a century's worth of memories invested in it. It doesn't mean that it's necessarily better than (say) AFL, just that I prefer it.

When we compare sports the perceived strengths of our preference are often seen as weaknesses by non-fans. To use football as the example, it could be argued that one of its biggest strengths is the uniquely high value it places on scoring (very few other sports have 1-0 as a common scoreline), however if one is of an Aussie Rules/basketball bent this could be seen as a weakness because it quite often means the quote-unquote less deserving team (i.e. the team who've had less possession or territorial advantage) wins the game. In sports were scoring regularly run in three figures this is less of an issue. As a football fan tho I could very well equally say that sports where scoring is almost fetishised devalue the very act of scoring.

Anyway, I voted "soccer".
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Vice-Captain
    Cricket, followed by "soccer" and baseball.

What's some of these other sports BTW Vimes?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Cricket followed by Rugby from that list.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by The Baconator View Post
    Cricket, followed by "soccer" and baseball.

What's some of these other sports BTW Vimes?
    Handball is the obvious one - has a presence in basically every country in continental Europe, I'm yet to encounter a Brit who has heard of it. Then there's all the individual endurance sports: cycling, speed skating, cross-country skiing, biathlon. Of those, only cycling registers, and only because of Lance and the dopeheads. In fact, I will watch pretty much anything on snow (except freestyle, which is mildly ridiculous judged as a sport), curling (if snooker's a sport so is curling). I like speedway too, but that's at least known somewhat in England and Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    To follow on from Vimes's point (although I would disagree about the Anglo-American sphere of influence regarding team sports as us & the seppos barely share one in common)
    True that, there's two spheres. Still, neither of them has particularly large intersection with the rest of the world - with the obvious exception of that kick-a-ball-and-run-game - it says something that there are more people wearing baseball caps in the world today than could explain to you how a run is scored in baseball (or at least I'd hazard a guess that this is so.). And arguably the main sports have similar intent: baseball and cricket, yankball and rugby, ice hockey and football, (basketball has no analogy I'll admit). Also, the individual sports which have taken head are those with the head-to-head aspect, and the inexplicable golf, which can only be due to the fact that it's got so many recreational players who want to watch the masters.

The interesting thing is that neither country managed (or wanted?) to export their professional sports to any great degrees - apart from football, boxing and basketball, and the latter was never that popular in America in the first place (afaik gridiron and baseball were the popular team sports over there at least up to Jordan's and Gretzky broke through, and how the NHL survives with 30 teams is beyond me...).

The rest of your point is nailed on (except for the bit where you claim you'd want association football as the only sport ). I'm reared on sports where a tocking clock is enough to provide high drama - because, if you've got enough information, you know that in about 15-20 seconds your favourite will peep round the trees and have about 25 seconds to the finish, which should be good enough to win...so get round those trees, please...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Football just above Cricket to play, but that changes about depending on how i like my own bowling. AFL > both to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Handball is the obvious one - has a presence in basically every country in continental Europe, I'm yet to encounter a Brit who has heard of it.
    Sod off, we had a conversation about it on MSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    Sod off, we had a conversation about it on MSN.
    Aber du kommst aus Deutschland, ja?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    In my teenage years I used to be able to sit down and watch every ball of a test match without trouble (despite what Richard says). I went through a few of those stages during the last Ashes series, but games just aren't as competitive as they used to be, so I don't watch cricket as much as I used to and really don't have the time.

I love watching League during the winter, none of the other codes do it for me, they are quite boring tbh.

As far as Basketball goes, I'll watch Bullets in the NBL and Bucks in the NBA, but basketball is a live game for me, and the NBA game I went to in the States was one of the best sporting events I've been to.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information