• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your all time favourite sporting moments and why

open365

International Vice-Captain
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/european/1951291.stm

My all time favourite sporting moment.

Heineken cup semi-final, Leicester defending champions,1 point down, last play(s) of the game, Tigers get a penalty inside their own half close to the touchline. Two choices, go for the lineout catch and drive or take the highly improbable kick at goal, Stimpson steps up to take the 58 metre kick(bout as far as you can kick it).

At this point i was cowering behind the sofa with my hands over my eyes. I had little faith in him getting the kick, he's not the best kicker in the world, it was 58 metres out, windy, from the touchline and carrying the weight of 16000 fans.

Complete silence(Welford road has this for every kick), he kicks it, it hits the far left post falls down onto the crossbar, and trickles over the posts.

Tigers win 12-10 and go on to defend the title against Munster in the final.

Quite simple, awesome, Johhny Wilkinson's kick in the world cup is of course bigger, but to me this is better as the sheer difficulty of the kick outweighed Wilkinson's drop goal.

So, what's your favourite sporting moment of all time, and give a tribute, it's a friday night and i've little to do or read.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From a personal point of view I can't go past running out onto Carisbrook as the curtain raiser for the Junior All Blacks vs Japan later that afternoon. Now, in the area I live, Carisbrook is considered as one of the greatest stadiums on the face of Earth, that's how revered it is in Otago, and I was fortunate enough to be able to play on that hallowed turf.

From a spectator's eyes, it would have to be the Black's Caps ability to chase down 3 massive scores in the last two Chappell Hadlee series. Simply amazing.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Socceroos making the WC is one and pretty much everytime Qld win a State of Origin game...

On a personal note it would be the first century i scored as a cricketer...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but the 2006 State of Origin when Queensland won, great moment for me as a Kiwi supporting Queensland.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Australia making the WC.
Australia beating Japan during the WC.
Fittler kicking a match-winning 40-20 after getting deliberately headbutted by Vilasanti in the 02 NRL GF, as well as the punishment Morley then proceeded to hand out to Vilasanti.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Northern Ireland 1 - 0 England.
Northern Ireland 3 - 2 Spain.
The England v Sri Lanka game a few days ago.
The 2005 ashes series.

oz_fan

International Regular
Fittler kicking a match-winning 40-20 after getting deliberately headbutted by Vilasanti in the 02 NRL GF, as well as the punishment Morley then proceeded to hand out to Vilasanti.
I was at that game, definately my favourite sporting moment when the Roosters won that Grand Final.
Some of my other favourite sporting moments are:
  • Australia at the soccer WC
  • Any State of Origin match, win or lose they're great contests

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
JONES!
BOWDEN!
Kasprowicz the man to go and HARMISON has done it!
Joy for every England player on the field!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think there has been a similar thread before, 'cos I remember giving the same answer. Anyway, this needs a little scene-setting. It was the last game of the 1988/89 Division One (as the English top flight was called before the Premiership came along) season. Arsenal, who had lead for most of the season & looked like bringing home the title for the first time since 1970/71 had run into some iffy form & Liverpool (reigning champions & winners of six titles in the 80s alone) were in imperious form, surfing a wave of public sympathy following the Hillsborough disaster.

Arsenal finished their home season with a 2-2 draw against Wimbledon, leaving them three points behind Liverpool with an inferior goal difference & this one final match at Anfield, an absolute fortress & a place were we hadn't won since 1973. It meant we had to go threre & win by two clear goals to give us the title. Alan "Smudger" Smith had given us the lead early in the second half with a glancinf header, but despite playing Liverpool off the park, we couldn't find that second. Until....

The last minute of the match.

You couldn't make it up. :)

pasag

RTDAS
So many tbh.

Adelaide 2006
South Africa second Test 2006
Carlton - premiership 1970
Carlton - premiership 2005
Carlton 99 Preliminary win over Essendon by 1 point! (What a game)
Kieren Perkins 1996 Olympics 1500 win
2000 Australian Open Semi Final Andre Agassi v Pete Sampras - greatest tennis match I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think there has been a similar thread before, 'cos I remember giving the same answer. Anyway, this needs a little scene-setting. It was the last game of the 1988/89 Division One (as the English top flight was called before the Premiership came along) season. Arsenal, who had lead for most of the season & looked like bringing home the title for the first time since 1970/71 had run into some iffy form & Liverpool (reigning champions & winners of six titles in the 80s alone) were in imperious form, surfing a wave of public sympathy following the Hillsborough disaster.

Arsenal finished their home season with a 2-2 draw against Wimbledon, leaving them three points behind Liverpool with an inferior goal difference & this one final match at Anfield, an absolute fortress & a place were we hadn't won since 1973. It meant we had to go threre & win by two clear goals to give us the title. Alan "Smudger" Smith had given us the lead early in the second half with a glancinf header, but despite playing Liverpool off the park, we couldn't find that second. Until....

The last minute of the match.

You couldn't make it up. :)
Reminds me of another United moment, though I'm too young to remember it.

Going for our first title win in 26 years, Aston Villa were still breathing hard down our necks when we played Sheffield Wednesday at OT. Although in hindsight this wasn't true, at the time it seemed that any slip-up was as good as conceding the title. Anyway, Wednesday got a penalty which Sheridan converted, and it stayed that way until stoppage time. In the mean time there were tears in the terraces. Bruce nodded in an equalizer, and then, 6 minutes into stoppage time, Pallister knocked in a cross, deflected into the path of Bruce, who nodded it in. ("BRUCE!!! Yes! Yes for Manchester United!")

Where have you heard something similar to that before?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Mine still hasn't changed, TBH. Might perhaps have been different had I not been a stone's throw from the Ashes urn as it was being lifted, mind. :)

Others are Pompey staying up in Division One (showing my age here...) on the last day of 2000-2001, Wayne Rooney arriving on the international scene in a big way against Croatia in 2004, England beating Germany 5-1 in 2001, Beckham's free kick against Greece in 2001, Ian Blackwell's 134* (71) against Sussex in 2005, Cameron White's 116* (53) against Gloucestershire in a Twenty20 world record score in 2006, South Africa overcoming Australia in the 434-4 game, Jonny Wilkinson's winning drop goal in RWC 2003, Bangladesh beating Australia in 2005, Pompey gaining promotion to the Premiership in 2003, watching Pompey beat Derby 6-2 a few weeks before gaining promotion........

I could go on. :p

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chappell-Hadlee game 3 at Hamilton this year. After a 10 year streak of going to ODIs and seeing NZ lose, it was a pretty special evening.