• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your all time favourite sporting moments and why

Salamuddin

International Debutant
France defeating Brazil 3-0 at the Stade De France in 1998 - Will never forget that magical night !!!!!!

magpie_man

School Boy/Girl Captain
2005:

Australia defeat Uruguay to make it into the World Cup;
Wests Tigers defeat North Queensland Cowboys to win the NRL grand final;
England win back the Ashes;
New Zealand flog Australia 24-0 in the rugby league Tri-Nations final to win the trophy;
Sydney Swans win the AFL grand final.

~DanVettoriFan~

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bulldogs 2004 Grand Final victory.

Not only because it was over bitter rivals Easts. But that whole year. What the team and fans had been through. It was a perfect way to silence the critics.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there has been a similar thread before, 'cos I remember giving the same answer. Anyway, this needs a little scene-setting. It was the last game of the 1988/89 Division One (as the English top flight was called before the Premiership came along) season. Arsenal, who had lead for most of the season & looked like bringing home the title for the first time since 1970/71 had run into some iffy form & Liverpool (reigning champions & winners of six titles in the 80s alone) were in imperious form, surfing a wave of public sympathy following the Hillsborough disaster.

Arsenal finished their home season with a 2-2 draw against Wimbledon, leaving them three points behind Liverpool with an inferior goal difference & this one final match at Anfield, an absolute fortress & a place were we hadn't won since 1973. It meant we had to go threre & win by two clear goals to give us the title. Alan "Smudger" Smith had given us the lead early in the second half with a glancinf header, but despite playing Liverpool off the park, we couldn't find that second. Until....

The last minute of the match.

You couldn't make it up. :)
Almost cried at this point while reading Fever Pitch tbh. Agree with DCC, though, hard to see past David Healy's goal against England.

On a less personal level, the greatest sporting moment of all time is definitely Jimmy Glass.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interesting, in the other thread, I picked the semis of the League Cup in 2000, where we beat the filth to get to Wembley. As an overall outcome, yeah, I'll stand by that, but the following two for the actual feeling the goals in question brought in me, undescribable

Ned Kelly equalises for the Whites @ Wembley

The greatest FA Cup comeback of all-time, word

BTW, in the second clip the magical moment itself is around the 4:50 mark. We were bottom of the league (the Championship, though it wasn't called that then), SOuthampton were safely middling in the Prem. It was 3-0 at half-time. The winners got Liverpool at home in the quarters.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Have a new one now, John Terry's missed penalty, brilliant moment, combined elation with an opportunity to laugh at someone I don't like very much.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal unbeaten season ranks pretty highly for me, can't think of anything that quite tops that.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really a "moment" as such though, more of a great achievement. I can't understand how a great hundred can be classed as a superb sporting moment, although in certain circumstances the final runs of one can make good moments.

Julian87

State Captain
Socceroos in the World Cup was great.

But giving India a hiding in South Africa was better. Because I love watching Australia dominate and I love watching India get absolutely flogged and cry like little girls.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
1) 2003 rugby world cup final. The tension in that was huge. Was so gutted when Wilkinson dropped kick that goal. Especially being an Aussie living in England at the time.

2) Socceroos at the world cup.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Darren Albert's try in the '97 GF.
AWTA, his tackle to ensure the Knights made the GF that year was just as awesome.

Pontings 196* in the 06/07 ashes, Adelaide 06/07 Ashes, 06/07 ashes on a whole.

Craig Lowndes/Jamie Whincup 3-peat at Bathurst is up there as well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Last game of the season 1991. Latics are already promoted to the then first division but lying in second place playing third place Sheff Wednesday at home. West Ham are top and we need to win and them not to to become champions. We're 2-0 down at half time. Second half we launch a massive comeback and its 2-2 in injury time when we get a penalty, news filters through that West Ham have finished with a draw...Neil Redfearn steps up and it goes a tad mental.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rfnLRb36k

Wow, that vid brings back memories

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
1. Here's John Aloisi to put Australia in the WC..
2. India 2-1 defeat of Australia 2001
3. Nadal 9-7 vs Federer in the 5th of Wimbledon (even if Fed lost :( )
4. Arsenal's unbeaten streak
5. Bolt blitzing the field in the 100 & 200

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'm happy there's a Clint Eastwood movie coming out soon about the 1995 rugby world cup final. There were some beautiful scenes there. After one-hundred years of turmoil, a country united as one.

And it did, as Louis Luyte said, decide who the real best in the world is.