• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Phelps - Better than Ian Thorpe ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was thinking of starting a similar thread a week or so ago.

In my opinion, yes. I guess the problem with swimming (and numerous other sports) is that in the end, the main test of your ability is the Olympics. If your peak doesn't coincide with the Olympics, then to an extent it's bad luck. However, I think we'll see in China Phelps is a better swimmer.

The variety of events he's winning in pays testament to that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I read in today's paper that Thorpe had allegedly returned a slightly iffy drug test before he retired. Had excess levels of male hormone is his body. Linky.

I'm sure one or two suggestions as to how he might have got an excess of male hormone into his body spring to the minds of our cruder readers... :p

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phelps is better than Thorpe by a fair margin imo. He's dominating every event he's in, and unlike thorpe, it isn't just 2 freestyle events, it's 5 individual events involving all strokes. Quite simply a freak, and already imo the greatest ever swimmer.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Phelps easily better, and he's not a complete tool too, well done to him...

Cloete

International Captain
Absolutely light years apart. As Clapo said, he's breaking records in all sorts of strokes. Just a machine.

Perm

Seems like a much nicer guy than Ian Thorpe anyway, I've always disliked the "Thorpedo". Still, in the end I think that Phelps will be the better swimmer, but like Jack said, if his peak doesn't come at the Olympics then I think he will go down in people's estimations.

andyc

Seems like a much nicer guy than Ian Thorpe anyway, I've always disliked the "Thorpedo".
Nah, went to a charity thing in Shanghai once a few years back where Thorpie was up raising money for orphanages in the area, came across as a really nice guy when I got a chance to talk to him. Recommended a coffee shop in my area, IIRC.

Bobisback

International Regular
Nah, went to a charity thing in Shanghai once a few years back where Thorpie was up raising money for orphanages in the area, came across as a really nice guy when I got a chance to talk to him. Recommended a coffee shop in my area, IIRC.
But how was the ***?