• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the AFL Stars

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hall, Archer, Christ Grant, Luke Darcy should be there imo.

Phil Matera
Matthew Scarlett
Stephen King
Peter Everitt

Thoughts?

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
No battle of the AFL stars would be complete without Adrian "Who stole my fake teeth" Hickmott.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha! Should go straight to the final tbh.

Che ****atoo Collins vs. Hickmott

May as well skip all the waffle, let's get real here.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
David Neitz IMO

EDIT: After bothering to look he's already in...

Byron Pickett then.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hall only Swan that would make it close to the top 50 players of the last 10 years, which is no insult and I think the Swans heirarchy would take it as a compliment in many ways. No other side has been better at doing team things in that same period.
TBH i would say Lockett, Kelly and Goodes are all better then Hall. Lockett did play majority of his football in that period and i've heard a lot of people say he played his best footy for Sydney. Also that full back, can't remember his name, Dunkley maybe, would also be infront of him IMO.

I know a lot of our success has been playing as a team, but we have had a few standouts who should make that list.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Admittedly forgot about Goodes in that post above (although I'd already put him in, so whatever) but Kelly probably suffers from straddling the period, he played quite a bit of his best footy before '96 as well, while there have been a large number of players better than Dunkley. Guess Plugger went till about '99 or '00 (not including the comeback), and is an OK chance.

In my opinion, Plugger didn't play his best footy for Sydney, more that he was actually out on the ground week in week out, which let him have an effect on Sydney's season. At St. Kilda he'd have an enormous effect on just about every game he played, but he wasn't playing enough, and wasn't settled down enough off the field, for that to effect the season's fortunes.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Looking at the list so far there seems to be an overkill on midfielders and forwards. With most of the defenders attack minded. People seem to undervalue to role that a quailty full back can play in keeping a team's best players attacking options at bay. That West Coast fullback from a few years back and Dunkley would be one of the first guys i would pick from that period. But i guess both did play a lot of their best football before. Also both were a lot more consistant then few other show ponies on that list.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Michael has been the best full back post-95 IMO, though Fletcher, Scarlett, Macintosh etc. have all been consistent.

pasag

RTDAS
Can we make this from 1990-2007? Would get alot more legends in and would be a much better battle, imo.