• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Is relegation a good thing in sport?

• Yes

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'd take Australia winning the WC over Man City winning the Prem, but ****, I'd take either one pretty happily.

(I realise they're different countries stfu)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Especially the latter.
Would say both are unlikely, but Citeh winning the Prem is far more likely than Oz winning the world cup. Yer Chavs have shown that if you have a decent manager (which Svennis is, at club level at least) & a chairman with a large enough bottomless pit you can win the big one.

Plus there are four Premier League titles to each world cup, only 20 teams competing & City are likely to be in the top flight for some time to come. In the WC there're 32 teams & they've qualified twice ever.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
1968, in fact. Though admittedly we were leading going into the last day and rested a lot of players due to the European Cup final.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think relegation and promotion are good if you have the talent to support it, otherwise you just end up with an inferior, watered-down competition. I think this is why the NRL > Superleague and (generally) State Cricket is > County (maybe!?). On the other hand, it gives a lot more players the chance to mix it with the best which you would think would create a better general standard...however English cricket is a pointer to this not being the case. I think the fact that city competitions in Aus are so strong may be one reason why the lack of a secondary division and an extra strong state comp is creating a number of good players. Maybe, though, it's just the weather.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What the hell do you get out of supporting a team like that? I mean, I support Tottenham and people say its pointless.
The knowledge that i'm not an utter tool like many Premier League supporters?

Pretty much picked them at random when i was 7 and i've stuck with them since.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Americans never seem to understand why you would bother supporting a smaller club. My cousin, born in Liverpool but lived most of his life in California, gave me some stick when I told him I was a Tranmere fan (this was about 10 years ago). He said it was like supporting a college side in NFL or basketball or whatever it is they play.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The best argument for relegation is that it gives hope (however nominal) to supporters of teams outside the top flight that one day their club will be in with the big boys. I know nothing about AFL at all, but if you were a follower of (say) South Melbourne back in the day you're now either faced with a mother of a round trip to see "your" team or to start to follow one of the other local clubs, which is usually anethema to any fan. When Wimbledon relocated to Milton Keynes & were "rebranded" as the MK Dons over here a group of local supporters formed their own team called AFC Wimbledon who do have that chance (however minimal it is) that they could be back in the big time one day.
& they're now back in the league. Kudos. Gives a big tick to promotion and relegation for my quid. :cool:

Any opinions changed over the years?