• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Is relegation a good thing in sport?

• Yes

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Club over country, in my opinion. I would probably kill each and every one of you here if Satan guaranteed me Spurs would win the premiership next season.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The people who don't care about the national side don't care enough to moan...

I just don't like the way that a lot (not all) players don't care, hence I don't care about the national side. Additionally, you follow your club side every week, England once every now and then when international weekends get in the way. Gah, I hate international weekends.

If hell was to freeze over and the footie side was to win something important, I'd be pleased, but I'd be happier if the Rugby side won on Saturday - and I care about Rugby once every four years.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Club>Country by a reasonable distance. The guys in your club should be some sort of family, while it's an honour to represent your country you shouldn't abandon these guys.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
On a completely different note, how common is Halsey's view that his club is more important than his national side?

I'd rather my country do well than my club, ftr.
Country > Club particularly because my club is in another country so yeah.......

pasag

RTDAS
Can't think of one supporter that would rather see Australia win in International Rules as opposed to their club winning a premiership and if they did they'd be mad although obviously the example is pretty poor for many reasons (first off being it's not the same sport).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Can't think of one supporter that would rather see Australia win in International Rules as opposed to their club winning a premiership and if they did they'd be mad although obviously the example is pretty poor for many reasons (first off being it's not the same sport).
Quite true. Awful example.

Country > club every time.

'Cept in rugby league. There's virtually no international game there, so Saints come first.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, don't come whinging to us next time England screw up then.
Just because I care more about my club doesn't mean I don't care about my country. When I could, I spent thousands of pounds trawling the country watching Tranmere, some games there was 100 of us there, you feel you know all of the fans, the players start to recognise you. Doesn't mean I'm not passionate about my country, but I identify more with my club, my hometown club.

I realise that your post may not have specifically been aimed at me btw :) (then again it might have!)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Club over country, in my opinion. I would probably kill each and every one of you here if Satan guaranteed me Spurs would win the premiership next season.
Can't see him being too pleased TBH as it'd mean he'd need to buy a pair of ice-skates to get around & they must be a bugger to find for cloven hooves.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Country>Club, i'd take England winning a WC or European Championship over United winning the premiership, champions league or matches vs Liverpool.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, then why make the post :p

I can't put myself in the position of a dedicated soccer fan, but from the outside I find it a bit odd that someone would choose club over country. But then again as I said, I'm not in the position because I'm not a huge soccer fan who loves a club as much as say I love the Richmond footy club in AFL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lol, then why make the post :p

I can't put myself in the position of a dedicated soccer fan, but from the outside I find it a bit odd that someone would choose club over country. But then again as I said, I'm not in the position because I'm not a huge soccer fan who loves a club as much as say I love the Richmond footy club in AFL.
Better comparison might be from the league boys with State of Origin. I dunno which they'd prefer out of a Premiership or an Origin series for NSW/QLD.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you follow your club home & away, it makes more sense to be pasionate about them than a bunch of no-mark millionaires who quite frankly probably wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Better comparison might be from the league boys with State of Origin. I dunno which they'd prefer out of a Premiership or an Origin series for NSW/QLD.
I honestly reckon they're more passionate about State of Origin, but it'd be interesting to see what they say.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't we have both?

Then again I have no real problem if Manly players don't get selected for State of Orgin. One cus we don't have any real standout players and most guys from either Queensland or NSW can do a similar jobs. Two because so often teams with large state of orgin players have a month or two were they do nothing.

So yeah i guess Manly over NSW overall.

Also Sydney FC > Australia. I'm so over Milligan and Zadkovich missing half of Sydney FC games to play for the Under 23s and now Casey is making the squad as well. Man as soon as Timpano is fit we will have four players missing every 2nd game to play U23s.

Last edited: