• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Is relegation a good thing in sport?

• Yes

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Chelsea were never really a brilliant club until Abramovich took over them (sure they won a few cups and were competitive, still weren't considered perenial title threats), and now they're considered title threats every year. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another 'Chelsea' so to speak, especially given how profitable football is these days...More people looking to buy. Tell someone in 1992 that Chelsea in 15 years would be winning Leagues and Cups left right and centre and progressing far into European tournaments. Probably wouldn't believe you.

BTW, I hate Chelsea, just using them as an example :p
Probably would, dominant clubs did change far more often back then. Calls for Fergie's head in January 1990, we did the double not much more than four years afterwards.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably would, dominant clubs did change far more often back then. Calls for Fergie's head in January 1990, we did the double not much more than four years afterwards.
I hope he still sends Mark Robins a very large Christmas hamper every year. :)

sideshowtim

Banned
You get my point though?

The Top 4 are not destined to be the Top 4 forever like some seem to suggest. And this is coming from a United fan.

cpr

International Coach
Yeah i get the point, just prayin to god those bitter blue's we call 'neighbours' arnt the next big thing...

Though now they've got a billionaire backer, surely its time they moved out of their council house tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think the germane point is that unless a club acquires a rich sugar-daddy there's no way they'll be able to supplant one of the big 4 with any regularity. It's possible that, say, Newcastle or Blackburn might just squeeze out, say, Liverpool this season. But to stay there? Nah.

As for any team coming up from The Championship, forget it.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's a comforting thought, but simply not true. In Liverpool's matchday fifteen v ManUre on Saturday they had two home-produced players (Carragher & Gerrard).

& one of those was poached from another nearby club:
Gerrard supported Everton!!!:-O The traitor.

cpr

International Coach
Aye, as did Fowler and McManaman IIRC. Typical theiving scousers :p

(not that we stole Giggs from Citeh mind)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You get my point though?

The Top 4 are not destined to be the Top 4 forever like some seem to suggest. And this is coming from a United fan.
Chelsea have been top 4 since about 98 pretty much though. Soon as Gullit/Vialli/Zola made an appearance pretty much.

cpr

International Coach
More top 5 then, as Newcastle were still knocking about at that level. Though 4th and 5th (and really 3rd) were some distance off the top

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More top 5 then, as Newcastle were still knocking about at that level. Though 4th and 5th (and really 3rd) were some distance off the top
Was basically Man Utd and Arsenal knocking off title wins in that period granted. Leeds/Newcastle/Chelsea/Liverpool and suprisingly Villa weren't too far off in that period for picking up the next 3 spots.
Hope Man City carry on their current form well into the season, purely to see someone who hasn't performed amazingly since about 93 or so finally click.

cpr

International Coach
last decent season they had was 90/91, finished 5th (one above us). Think they'll suffer when they pick up a couple of injuries. If Elano gets crocked, they'll be stuffed. No doubt Petrov will have a strop soon. Cant see them staying where they are, be lucky to get a european spot i reckon

David

International 12th Man
On a completely different note, how common is Halsey's view that his club is more important than his national side?

I'd rather my country do well than my club, ftr.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
On a completely different note, how common is Halsey's view that his club is more important than his national side?

I'd rather my country do well than my club, ftr.
Surprisingly, but usually confined to football. A lot of supporters of the bigger clubs are quite dismissive of fans who follow England abroad. The stereotypical view being that they follow small clubs so it's the only chance they get to see the continent.

To be honest I'd take a World Cup for England over a Premiership for Arsenal any day, but that probably marks me out as a shandy-drinking poof of a supporter.