Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Is relegation a good thing in sport?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 85.71%
  • No

3 14.29%
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

International Coach
    And all this despite a tiny net spend.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    And now they've plummeted way down to... 3rd.
    4th actually.

And the virtuous cycle which has kept the top 4 largely constant over the past few years is more down to the Champions League than the Premiership.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    And all this despite a tiny net spend.
    In terms of transfer fees they're actually running at a surplus are they not?

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Could be, I didn't check.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    They certainly are in real terms, only team in Premiership history to be like that (up to end of 09/10 season) - the only other manager who actually breaks even is the much maligned FSW.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Coincidentally to this discussion we are having here, there has been an issue come up in the AFL today which is kind of relevant to this debate.

Collingwood are pretty much the richest AFL club. Their player salary spending is capped, however the spending of one's football departments (i.e. coaches, training facilities etc.) is not capped. Collingwood have traditionally spend a lot on their football department (much more than say North Melbourne have, which is Benchy's team and probably the poorest club in the AFL).

One of Collingwood's big expenditure projects has been flying their entire team to Arizona pre-season for training, as the high altitude improves player's stamina and endurance. They have a few injured players in their ranks and plan on sending these players to Arizona during the season to recover. We're talking go there for 5-6 days whilst they have a bye in the fixture. There are many clubs which would simply not be able to consider this as an option, and others who could do it but would have to sacrifice in another important area of their football department.

Tthis news only came out today but the rumour is the AFL is uncomfortable with this. For a while there has been talk of putting a cap on football department spending. I would not be surprised if this is the final straw for the AFL Commission.

Anyway food for thought.
    Last edited by Jono; 26-05-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Coincidentally to this discussion we are having here, there has been an issue come up in the AFL today which is kind of relevant to this debate.

Collingwood are pretty much the richest AFL club. Their player salary spending is capped, however the spending of one's football departments (i.e. coaches, training facilities etc.). Collingwood have traditionally spend a lot on their football department (much more than say North Melbourne have, which is Benchy's team and probably the poorest club in the AFL).

One of Collingwood's big expenditure projects has been flying their entire team to Arizona pre-season for training, as the high altitude improves player's stamina and endurance. They have a few injured players in their ranks and plan on sending these players to Arizona during the season to recover. We're talking go there for 5-6 days whilst they have a bye in the fixture. There are many clubs which would simply not be able to consider this as an option, and others who could do it but would have to sacrifice in another important area of their football department.

Tthis news only came out today but the rumour is the AFL is uncomfortable with this. For a while there has been talk of putting a cap on football department spending. I would not be surprised if this is the final straw for the AFL Commission.

Anyway food for thought.
    Not sure how I feel about capping football department spending, but it's definitely one area where the richer clubs have a perceived advantage. Having said that NM have a fine young coach as it stands, and I don't know too many coaches in the league I'd swap him for at this stage. Think it is an area which clubs will try and exploit in the future though.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Brisbane in the AFL won three straight premierships, and lost another on their fourth attempt at the start of the 2000's, now they're on the bottom of the ladder. Teams don't neccessarily bottom out like that all the time, but over the course of a decade or more, many different teams taste success, not just one or two.
    Which happened to coincide with them having $500k+ (about 8% above the normal cap) more money than all the other clubs in their salary, bar Sydney who had a bit more than that, under the competetive balance fund. It was Eddie through constant lobbying who help make the AFL move and take that away from them. We used to hear about in for 30mins every thursday night for years.
    Last edited by Redbacks; 26-05-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Collingwood are pretty much the richest AFL club. Their player salary spending is capped, however the spending of one's football departments (i.e. coaches, training facilities etc.) is not capped. Collingwood have traditionally spend a lot on their football department (much more than say North Melbourne have, which is Benchy's team and probably the poorest club in the AFL).

Anyway food for thought.
    Big whoop, what else are Collingwood meant to spend their cash on?

New teeth for their fans if truth be told.

Why is equality the be all and end all? I don't get it.
    There's nothing to stop a team becoming better in the Premiership, nothing.

I'd much prefer a completely unequal system than one which forces artificial equality through the likes of drafts and things. They're the biggest crock of **** ever.

lol.

Funny, because that's how I feel when I read your posts on the matter.

So naiive saying there's nothing stopping a team getting better. Head in the sand type stuff.

If nothing's stopping them, why aren't they!?

So naiive saying there's nothing stopping a team getting better. Head in the sand type stuff.

If nothing's stopping them, why aren't they!?
    The nature of competition. Teams improve all the time but obviously in the process they overtake other teams who become worse. For each place a team moves up, a different team moves down etc.
    Norwich City just achieved their second successive promotion ffs.

Why should teams be helped to improve? If you're **** then suck it up or do something about it. Invest in youth, invest in a good scouting network, better coaches, better infrastructure, better training. Don't see why they should be given a leg-up in the interest of fairness, it's competitive sport ffs.
    Just disagree with it.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information