Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Is relegation a good thing in sport?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 85.71%
  • No

3 14.29%
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I might as well stop watching football if relegation is done away with.

Take away relegation you get a stagnant league with the same old teams, which the Prem is bad enough for anyway. Look how well Reading have done this season, and Wigan last.

My whole footballing life has been spent dreaming about the day the mighty whites magically win promotion from the Championship. Every club should be afforded that dream, except for Wrexham & Jester.
    And to see out hero finally grace the Premiership and get more regonication.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And to see out hero finally grace the Premiership and get more regonication.
    Definitely.

And that reminds me, today is the 5th, as such I can change my avatar

Greenacre returns
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Oh yes, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back nanananananana

Greenacre m'lord

etc

School Boy/Girl Captain
    If the teams in the 2nd division still get some form of financial backing from the NRL (even if it were only administation and travel costs), I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.
    You could see a few of the teams that got dudded, like Newtown and North Sydney, with the opportunity to compete in the top flight again. Throw in a few Queensland Cup sides (Redcliffe, Easts, Wynnum etc) and maybe even a few Bartercard Cup sides (Auckland Lions, Wellington Orcas) and a few teams looking to get an NRL license (WA Reds, Central Coast) and you have yourself a good national 2nd division.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie_man View Post
    If the teams in the 2nd division still get some form of financial backing from the NRL (even if it were only administation and travel costs), I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.
    You could see a few of the teams that got dudded, like Newtown and North Sydney, with the opportunity to compete in the top flight again. Throw in a few Queensland Cup sides (Redcliffe, Easts, Wynnum etc) and maybe even a few Bartercard Cup sides (Auckland Lions, Wellington Orcas) and a few teams looking to get an NRL license (WA Reds, Central Coast) and you have yourself a good national 2nd division.
    The main problem I see with it is that you could end up with even more teams in Sydney, because with the inclusion of sides like Newtown and the Bears, chances are Wests Tigers and St George-Illawarra could decide to split their mergers.

If relegation was going to occur, i'd prefer a smaller top league (say a 12-team comp) in order to ensure that the highest level is always competitive. The thing is with a greater number of teams like they have in the EPL, you can end up with a lot of teams who just consistently sit mid-table and never look likely to win or be relegated.

International Coach
    Football has had it for a century, and it doesn't seem to have done too much harm.

Relegation gives hope to lower clubs, and also stops clubs from the top league resting on their laurels. I know the argument is that relegation scares clubs into buying foreign players, but personally, as far as football goes, I value club football more than international football anyway. If given a choice between United winning the Champions League and England winning the World Cup, I'd go for United every time.

In Australia, there isn't really enough teams as far as I can tell.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    How many of the English competitions you named there have a salary cap, out of interest?
    The Super League does, as does the Zurich Premiership (Union).

It's sort of worst of both worlds, really. If your team is down the bottom & threatened with relegation the management don't have the option to recruit without (at least in theory) having to ditch players to remain under the cap. Although last season Wigan signed Stuart Fielden when they were threatened with the drop & he openly admitted he'd moved for the money, so I don't know how closely the caps are policed.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    My whole footballing life has been spent dreaming about the day the mighty whites magically win promotion from the Championship. Every club should be afforded that dream, except for Wrexham & Jester.
    We've been promoted once, relegated once and lost a Playoff final on penalties since i've supported Mansfield. My whole footballing life has been spent dreaming about the day the mighty yellows magically win promotion from Division 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Although last season Wigan signed Stuart Fielden when they were threatened with the drop & he openly admitted he'd moved for the money, so I don't know how closely the caps are policed.
    For Super League, all the clubs finances (not just salary expenditure, as the cap is a % of the clubs income, iirc) for the previous season are checked by the league, and any discrepencies are punished. So if Wigan went over with glass jaw, they'll pay for it later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    For Super League, all the clubs finances (not just salary expenditure, as the cap is a % of the clubs income, iirc) for the previous season are checked by the league, and any discrepencies are punished. So if Wigan went over with glass jaw, they'll pay for it later this year.
    Well, in fairness to the other 11 clubs, if they have (& frankly I'd be shocked if they hadn't) I hope it's more than last season's token slap-on-the-wrist.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by speirz View Post
    The main problem I see with it is that you could end up with even more teams in Sydney, because with the inclusion of sides like Newtown and the Bears, chances are Wests Tigers and St George-Illawarra could decide to split their mergers.

If relegation was going to occur, i'd prefer a smaller top league (say a 12-team comp) in order to ensure that the highest level is always competitive. The thing is with a greater number of teams like they have in the EPL, you can end up with a lot of teams who just consistently sit mid-table and never look likely to win or be relegated.
    Yeah, that could be a problem. As a old Wests Magpies fan, I wouldn't mind seeing the joint venture split but I'd also be happy with them to continue as a JV. It would make more sense for them to continue as a reasonably successful and financially viable merger rather than split and risk both sides falling back into 2nd division.
    I can't see St George Illawarra splitting, they've been embraced by both sets of fans from day-one really, and they have a good arangement with St George providing the money, Illawarra providing the players.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Its should be noted that in NSW State Football there is promotion and regulation already. There is only two divison though NSW Preimer League and NSW Super League. But smaller clubs take part in the State Cup comp.

I can see the A-League in the future having a similar structure, with two divisons of 10 or 12 teams, would atleast be a decade or more away though. Also i would say up to six of those sides would be from outside Australia, as you couldn't have more then 20 professional clubs in Australia and all be successful.

EDIT: Just noticed that in NSW they have a 3-Tier structure: Preimer (Div 1), Super (Div 2), North and South Conference (Div 3). I guess it shows its could be done in Australia, but it would be hard to work out the structure to have one including all the states.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 05-03-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The Super League does, as does the Zurich Premiership (Union).

It's sort of worst of both worlds, really. If your team is down the bottom & threatened with relegation the management don't have the option to recruit without (at least in theory) having to ditch players to remain under the cap. Although last season Wigan signed Stuart Fielden when they were threatened with the drop & he openly admitted he'd moved for the money, so I don't know how closely the caps are policed.
    The Football League has a salary cap. I think it's that no more than 60% of the club's revenue can be spent on wages.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    There not really salary cap when they are based on a club revenue. Its just measures to try and stop clubs from going broke, not even out the competition. In theory the A-League has a salary cap on marquee players as well using that logic. But you can basically pay what you want, as long as you can show you get the income to pay that amount of a player

The Football League has a salary cap. I think it's that no more than 60% of the club's revenue can be spent on wages.
    Didn't know that actually, but it does make sense. There have definitely been moves to stop teams achieving success through bankruptcy in the last 3-4 years though, with the ten-point penalty now for going into administration.

Makes the fact that a wee small team like Colchester (even if the town is a poo-hole of the first water) are doing creditably in about tenth & Dirty Leeds are rooted to the foot that bit funnier.

Moreover how buggered would The Chavs be if the Prem had a similar arrangement regarding revenue...?

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information