• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever sporting come backs

Tom Halsey

International Coach
For those of you that don't know, Bradford 26 St Helens 12 after 57 minutes. Bradford 32 St Helens 40 after 80.
To follow your lead...

1999 European Cup final: after 90 minutes - Manchester United 0-1 Bayern Munich. After 93 - Manchester United 2-1 Bayern Munich.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
1970 VFL Grand Final.
Half Time: Collingwood 10.13 (73); Carlton 4.5 (29)
Full Time: Carlton 17.9 (111) Collingwood 14.17 (101)

In front of a record crowd of 121,000 and with one of the greatest marks ever included.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1970 VFL Grand Final.
Is that the one with Jesaulenko's Mark of the Century in it? Recently read an article on it.

Anyway, off the top of my head:

- Nick Faldo's turnaround of a six shot deficit to Greg Norman on the last round of the 1996 (IIRC) US Masters.
- Liverpool coming back from 3-0 down at half-time against AC Milan to win the 2005 Champions League final.
- The Botham/Willis test in the 1981 Ashes.
- France coming back from 24-10 down v The All Blacks in the 1999 World Cup Semi-Final to win 43-31
-Dennis Taylor coming back from 8-0 down to beat Steve Davis in the 1985 Snooker World Cahmpionship

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is that the one with Jesaulenko's Mark of the Century in it? Recently read an article on it.

Anyway, off the top of my head:

- Nick Faldo's turnaround of a six shot deficit to Greg Norman on the last round of the 1996 (IIRC) US Masters.
- Liverpool coming back from 3-0 down at half-time against AC Milan to win the 2005 Champions League final.
- The Botham/Willis test in the 1981 Ashes.
- France coming back from 24-10 down v The All Blacks in the 1999 World Cup Semi-Final to win 43-31
-Dennis Taylor coming back from 8-0 down to beat Steve Davis in the 1985 Snooker World Cahmpionship
Remember watching that when I was about 8 and almost crying. We had nothing in the 2nd half.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Remember watching that when I was about 8 and almost crying. We had nothing in the 2nd half.
TBF Lamaison (sp?) was inspired in the second half. The game was worthy of the final (which was a bit of a damp squib, really). Might even go so far as to say the best game I've seen.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
2005 European Cup Final >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1999 for comebacks.
Liverpool scored 3 in 45 minutes (and then had to rely on the luck of penalties to actually win it).

United scored 2 in 3 minutes.

Then also you remember that we had to comeback against Juventus in Turin in the semi, after being 2-0 down after 11 minutes. No-one won in Turin back then. That in itself isn't > Liverpool's, but the final is.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It's only against the Blucerchiati and hardly on the same scale as Liverpool and Man U's efforts but I will always remember this comeback, truly unreal especially considering I went to the toilet at 0-2 and come back six minutes later and it was 3-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPAlVr9UNs

Also Inter's comeback in this season SuperCup was pretty good as well.

Last edited:

cover drive man

International Captain
champion's league final

Liverpool 0-1 ACMilan
Liverpool 0-2 ACMilan
Liverpool 0-3 ACMilan

HALF TIME

Liverpool 1-3 ACMilan
Liverpool 2-3 ACMilan
Liverpool 3-3 ACMilan

liverpool win on penalties.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's only against the Blucerchiati and hardly on the same scale as Liverpool and Man U's efforts but I will always remember this comeback, truly unreal especially considering I went to the toilet at 0-2 and come back six minutes later and it was 3-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPAlVr9UNs

Also Inter's comeback in this season SuperCup was pretty good as well.
Jeez, that commentator is so so annoying.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Port Vale vs QPR in 1997.

Port Vale were 4-0 up at half-time......then: -

Holwyn (og) (QPR) 66 mins
Impey (QPR) 85 mins
Murray (QPR) 88 mins
Spencer (QPR) 90 mins

----

QPR v Newcastle, 1984: Barcodes were 4-0 then 5-1 up before QPR fought back for a share of the points

----

Barnsley v Exeter, 1977: Barnsley 3-0 up at half time... City win 4-3

----

2004 FA Cup: Spurs v Man City. Tottenham 3-0 up at half time and as the players make their way to the tunnel, Joey Barton is sent off for being an idiot (plus ca change).

48": Distin - 3-1
61": Bosvelt - 3-2
80": Wright-Phillips - 3-3
92": Macken - 3-4

All made more hilarious by Man City having an 18-year-old Icelandic kid in goal, pulling off save after incredible reaction save, and my housemate being a Spurs fan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man U vs. Bayern sounds the best from what I've read and the footage I've seen, but I didn't watch it live. But with stoppage time going, to avoid defeat would have been something let alone win the game.

Liverpool's is obviously awesome as well.

That Carlton grand final Pasag mentioned was massive as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To follow your lead...

1999 European Cup final: after 90 minutes - Manchester United 0-1 Bayern Munich. After 93 - Manchester United 2-1 Bayern Munich.
2005 European Cup Final >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1999 for comebacks.
Liverpool scored 3 in 45 minutes (and then had to rely on the luck of penalties to actually win it).

United scored 2 in 3 minutes.

Then also you remember that we had to comeback against Juventus in Turin in the semi, after being 2-0 down after 11 minutes. No-one won in Turin back then. That in itself isn't > Liverpool's, but the final is.
Didn't Liverpool score like 3 in 8 minutes though?

Port Vale vs QPR in 1997.

Port Vale were 4-0 up at half-time......then: -

Holwyn (og) (QPR) 66 mins
Impey (QPR) 85 mins
Murray (QPR) 88 mins
Spencer (QPR) 90 mins

----

QPR v Newcastle, 1984: Barcodes were 4-0 then 5-1 up before QPR fought back for a share of the points

----

Barnsley v Exeter, 1977: Barnsley 3-0 up at half time... City win 4-3

----

2004 FA Cup: Spurs v Man City. Tottenham 3-0 up at half time and as the players make their way to the tunnel, Joey Barton is sent off for being an idiot (plus ca change).

48": Distin - 3-1
61": Bosvelt - 3-2
80": Wright-Phillips - 3-3
92": Macken - 3-4

All made more hilarious by Man City having an 18-year-old Icelandic kid in goal, pulling off save after incredible reaction save, and my housemate being a Spurs fan.
Shame on the lot of you tbh, but especially Neil, who has focused on a lot of 3-0...4-3s and missed out the best one. Widely regarded as the greatest FA Cup comeback of all-time (in my house, anyway) Premiership Southampton led Tranmere, bottom of the First Division, three-nil at half-time. And they had completely bossed the first half as well. But one such optimist, who is believed to be a fan of Geraint Vincent the newsreader, is believed to have said, "don't worry, we'll win this four-three" in the concourse at half-time. True to form, Paul "useless blue" Rideout scored a hat-trick, Stuart "barndoor" barlow scored a fourth, and Tranmere marched on to the Quarter-finals, for the second year in a row. True story.

Love watching the game. Andy Gray's commentary is marvellous, reading us the last rites at 3-0, then at 3-2, "who said this cup-tie was over? Not me!" with more than a hint of irony.

Seriously, greatest comeback ever, and I'm disgusted that it had to be me who mentioned it.