• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

African Footballers And Those From Other Continents

Removing which players would hurt the standard of the Premiership the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Living here I have noticed that South Africa and African sports have an inferiority complex and love to build themselves up and exaggerate (eg Supersport picking 6 South Africans in the Cricket World XI)

This months South African Sports Illustrated said

SASI said:
African footballers currently have a stranglehold on English soccer
They then go on to list all the players. Firstly, there are a number but not that many, secondly, most are not top level players.

Do you agree with SASI? The question is, if you removed the players from of a certain region from the Premiership, which would affect the standard and the product the most?

Last edited:

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Other European would practically destroy it IMO. There are a lot of players from other countries who form the nucleus of sides, for example Spain with Liverpool.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can we see the list... who are they??

McCarthy... Kanu... er... Arsenal's North African contingent...?

speirz

State Vice-Captain

Off the top of my head
McCarthy
Kanu
Diouf
Toure
Yobo
Eboue
Adebayor
Sissoko
Bouba Diop
Ameobi

No one really big, Arsenal would be hurt a bit but that's about all

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head
McCarthy
Kanu
Diouf
Toure
Yobo
Eboue
Adebayor
Sissoko
Bouba Diop
Ameobi

No one really big, Arsenal would be hurt a bit but that's about all
Essien and Drogba not fairly big?

Couple more you missed out
Martins
Henri Camara
Aghahowa
Zokora
Lua Lua
Yakubu

and my head is starting to hurt from thinking about soccer too much.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

TBH, the list is fairly long and too long for me to be bothered to type. If people want a team list I will do as I dont mind doing 1 at a time.

Anyway, there are 2 teams with 0 Africans. Man U and Sheff Utd.

The most is 6. And that is with Transfer Happy Harry. Portsmouth have Djimi Traore, LuaLua, Roudolphe Doulala, Lauren, Kanu and Benjani Mwaruwari

The rest have between 1-5 Africans in their squad.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Essien and Drogba fairly big?

Couple more you missed out
Martins
Henri Camara
Aghahowa
Zokora
Lua Lua
Yakubu

and my head is starting to hurt from thinking about soccer too much.
Essien + Drogba slipped my mind:-O With Chelsea's money they wouldn't be missed too much though.
There seems to be alot of African strikers.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went for other Europeans. Figure there's more of them and generally higher class.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, I wish I could do the poll again and seperate Scandanavia from the rest of Europe.

Scandanavia being Denmark, Norway and Sweden but for the purposes of this adding Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

That might actually have got my vote.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, ha! :laugh: Have to admire steds going down the patriotic plastic-sweatie route, but really it's probably non-British Isles Europeans by quite a fair bit.

We' arguably be the most damaged by losing our Aficans (we have three who're first choice-ish in our squad), but we'd be hurt an awful lot more losing our Europeans as would most of the top teams.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBH, I wish I could do the poll again and seperate Scandanavia from the rest of Europe.

Scandanavia being Denmark, Norway and Sweden but for the purposes of this adding Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

That might actually have got my vote.
Five years ago, maybe, but not nowadays. Especially with all the newly EU nations now having the same rights as longer-term members. France, Holland & the Iberian countries now supply an awful lot of class to our league.

Matteh

Five years ago, maybe, but not nowadays. Especially with all the newly EU nations now having the same rights as longer-term members. France, Holland & the Iberian countries now supply an awful lot of class to our league.
I'd agree with you. Had the likes of Schmeichel, Oyvind Leonhardsen(sp), Erland Johnsen, Forssell, Litmanen, Gronkjaer, Jon-Dahl Tomasson, Gudjohnsen, Limpar, Henning Berg, Lars Bohinen, Ostenstad, Dahlin, Gudni Bergsson, Claus Jense, Per Frandsen etc.

grecian

Yes, 35 years ago, the british Isle contingent would of won by miles. Brady, Souness, Dalglish, Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Brazil, Stapleton, Rush, Hughes and on and on.

Which is why I'm not that bothered with the foreigners in the English premier League, we've always had them. Liverpools starting line-up in the 86 cup final, double-winning year, had not a single English player in there.

I have no interest in making players for teams that seem to despise us. Much rather have Spanish and Ivorian players myself.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd agree with you. Had the likes of Schmeichel, Oyvind Leonhardsen(sp), Erland Johnsen, Forssell, Litmanen, Gronkjaer, Jon-Dahl Tomasson, Gudjohnsen, Limpar, Henning Berg, Lars Bohinen, Ostenstad, Dahlin, Gudni Bergsson, Claus Jense, Per Frandsen etc.
You forgot Tomas Brolin.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well its still pretty impressive now even if you just look at a few clubs. Liverpool have Hyypia, Agger, and Riise, Charlton have 5, Gislason, Hreidarsson, Myhre, Rommedahl, Tanska.

Niemi and Jaaskelainen are up there as being the best keeper in the Prem for a while. And its nice to see Larson at United for a short time.

Many teams have a couple of players (whether it be Pedersen and Enckelman at Blackburn or Mellburg or Sorensen at Villa). They are still making a big contribution.

But certainly on reflection, far les of a contribution than mainland Europeans.

andmark

International Captain

May I add Eric Cantona.