• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

African Footballers And Those From Other Continents

Removing which players would hurt the standard of the Premiership the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Halsey

International Coach
TBH, I wish I could do the poll again and seperate Scandanavia from the rest of Europe.

Scandanavia being Denmark, Norway and Sweden but for the purposes of this adding Finland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

That might actually have got my vote.
How many genuine world-class players from Scandinavia played in the Premiership though? I can think of Schmeichel, and the odd other extremely tenuous case.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How many genuine world-class players from Scandinavia played in the Premiership though? I can think of Schmeichel, and the odd other extremely tenuous case.
Brolin was gun at WC'94 i'm led to believe. Gravesen went off to Real Madrid.

Scandinavians have generally always done a solid job at their clubs really, regardless of whether or not they're actually world class standard.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brolin was gun at WC'94 i'm led to believe. Gravesen went off to Real Madrid.

Scandinavians have generally always done a solid job at their clubs really, regardless of whether or not they're actually world class standard.
Solskjær?
Bit of a stretch to call either genuinely world-class I'd say. Ole Gunnar has been a magnificent servant to ManUre (in fact he inherited the "token non-evil United player" mantle when Irwin moved to the Wolfs), but I doubt he'd attract too many votes in a "best foreigner to play in the Prem" poll. Brolin was very good in US 94 & more-or-less single handedly knocked us out of Euro 1992 (well, him & Graham "Do I Not Like That" Taylor), but was average & overweight for Palace. Jon Dahl Tomasson (sp?) who was very good over in Milan also played here for Newcastle & was poor too.

I suppose part of the problem is (as matteh says) that Scandinavia produce lots of solid, dependable pros but (rather like ourselves) not so many truly great players. I know Finland isn't strictly Scandinavia, but Hyypia & Litmanen were arguably the best players from the region to play here aside from Schmeichel and Litmanen was never the force he was for yer Scousers that he was for Ajax.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well if we are including Litmanen in the discussion, I think its time to point out that I, and many others, would describe Brian Laudrup as world class. Even though his stay in the Prem was short, he was there and he was an exceptional player throughout his career.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Forgot Laudrup had even played here. That makes 2 genuine world-class players then by my reckoning.

Yeah, as Brumby and Matteh said, they've all been solid and decent club-pros - nothing wrong with that, but they didn't really add too much genuine quality IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well if we are including Litmanen in the discussion, I think its time to point out that I, and many others, would describe Brian Laudrup as world class. Even though his stay in the Prem was short, he was there and he was an exceptional player throughout his career.
Yeah, he was arguably world class, even if his record at Rangers has something of the flat-track bully about it.

I'd totally forgotten he even played in the Prem TBH. :ph34r:

The best Scandianvian to play over here was probably Allan Simonsen, but his brief spell with The Addicks predates the Prem by about a decade & (IIRC) they weren't even in the top flight back then anyway.

Matteh

Surely the Brian Laudrup playing the Prem is similar to Litmanen and Larsson now. Absolutely gun for their careers then come to the Premiership late in their careers and do alright but not exactly spectactular.

Matteh

Brolin was very good in US 94 & more-or-less single handedly knocked us out of Euro 1992 (well, him & Graham "Do I Not Like That" Taylor), but was average & overweight for Palace. Jon Dahl Tomasson (sp?) who was very good over in Milan also played here for Newcastle & was poor too.
Definitely a link between how dire Brolin (who played for Leeds too iirc) and Tomasson were over here. But having seen Tomasson play the other week, he's certainly good enough in theory to play in the Premiership, yet for some reason he was dire at Newcastle. Think he's been playing well at Stuttgart these days too.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Surely the Brian Laudrup playing the Prem is similar to Litmanen and Larsson now. Absolutely gun for their careers then come to the Premiership late in their careers and do alright but not exactly spectactular.
Yeah that's true, he was here late in his career IIRC, and only played a handful of games.