• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Gerrard/Lampard dilemma & a look at England's road to Euro 2008

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lampard has always been ****e for England, not just since te World Cup. Good amongst good players at Chelsea, ****e otherwise. Anyway, why can't this go in the normal football thread?

Nah, he was great in Euro 2004 (he was, IMO, actually our best player in that tournament, but Rooney took all the credit, fat **** that he is)

What did he do before the WC then?

He was our top scorer in WC qualifying, and voted England player of the year 2005. He had a great year in an England shirt between tournaments.

He was good at Euro 2004, but that was when he first broke into the first team, he had done nothing of note internationally before then. Since then he's been consistently average (WC qualifying) and occasionally rubbish (WC finals).
That would be because he's a striker.
So a striker deserves more praise than a midfileder for scoring 5 goals? Logical 8-)

I don't get you Halsey, half the time you make great sense, and then other times you sound like somebody who knows nothing about football. Is this anti-Chelsea bias, or are you just stupid?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
So a striker deserves more praise than a midfileder for scoring 5 goals? Logical 8-)

I don't get you Halsey, half the time you make great sense, and then other times you sound like somebody who knows nothing about football. Is this anti-Chelsea bias, or are you just stupid?
To a certain extent, yes - it is a striker's job to score goals, it is merely a bous for a midfielder.

I've already said that I don't think Lampard was bad during WC qualifying - he was average, much like most of the team - the original post about Lampard having always been **** for England was an overreaction, but he was hardly as good as everyone seems to make out.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
But anyway Lampard has not always been tripe for England he was the best player in Euro 2004
RUBBISH, englands best player of that tournament was ashley cole.

This whole frank lampard debate to me is a load of nonsense, the simple fact is that he is not very good, radio5 raised the point long ago that "frank lampards amount of goals often mask the fact that he has put in a very poor/mediocre performance" and i'd be inclined to agree, the only difference between his performances now and those of a few months ago is that the goals have dried up, better than his father? balls he is, he isnt as good as jamie redknapp.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
This whole frank lampard debate to me is a load of nonsense, the simple fact is that he is not very good, radio5 raised the point long ago that "frank lampards amount of goals often mask the fact that he has put in a very poor/mediocre performance" and i'd be inclined to agree, the only difference between his performances now and those of a few months ago is that the goals have dried up, better than his father? balls he is, he isnt as good as jamie redknapp.
Thankyou for putting the argument across a lot better than I ever managed.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason for Lampard not playing well for England is actually quite simple.With Chelsea he has Makelele behind him playing as a defensive midfielder and this means that Lampard can influence the game higher up the pitch and he doesn't need to worry about tracking back as much as he knows Makelele is there.When Lampard and Gerrard play together Lampard is the one who drops back and collects passes from the back 4 which is something Makelele does for Chelsea.This means that Lampard can't influence the game as much and he is not higher up the pitch with alot of freedom to pass or go for a shot.This severely limits his game as we all know he doesn't really dribble with the ball and can't run at people due to his lack of pace.If for eg Hargreaves and Lampard were in the midfield Lampard would be able to dictate play and play higher up the pitch meaning his passes would be telling and worthwile.You have to get the best out of Lamprd by playing the correct system.This is why Gerrard and Lampard will never play well together and one of them will have to be sacrificed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This whole frank lampard debate to me is a load of nonsense, the simple fact is that he is not very good, radio5 raised the point long ago that "frank lampards amount of goals often mask the fact that he has put in a very poor/mediocre performance"
The name Paul Scholes springs to mind...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well his tackling is rubbish and he gives the ball away a lot for a midfielder. Probably creates more goals than Lampard tho
Yeah his tackling is obviously rubbish, but that isn't really his game tbh. Ideally he'd play in the hole behind the front two but we don't generally play that way, so he plays in midfield, where he still creates goals.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The goals of Scholes don't hide mediocre performances though.
What exactly do they hide then, because all I can remember of him for a long time in an England shirt was that he was pretty much anonymous except when he was in the right place at the right time...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tries to tackle someone every match, forgetting that he can't tackle and inevitably picks up a yellow.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yep, Heskey was playing there for a while too. What annoyed me was that Scholes was one of our most important players, but **** on the left. At least Heskey was rubbish wherever he played...