• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you rate Thierry Henry aka Chief Poseur as he is known in Durham ?

How do you rate Thierry Henry ?

• Total voters

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I may well post all the players I can remember who are/were better than chief poseur in the Premiership:

Scholes, Keane, Vieira, Sol Campbell, David Seaman, John Terry, Gianfranco Zola, Michael Owen, Cantona, Shearer, Schmeichel, Tony Adams, Gerrard.

There'll be more but it's hard to remember everyone obviously. If I included players that were in the Premiership but were better than chief poseur internationally that list would bloat towards 50, probably more.

Matteh

So in the 14 years of the Premiership, only 2 out and out strikers have been better than him, wow dire player.

As the poll says 'One of the best ever to play in English Premier League?' you've just said that yes he is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As has been stated before, van Nistelrooy, Shearer, Cole and of course Cantona. If you're including other players not just forwards there's Schmeichel.
Andy Cole better than Henry? Do me a lemon. Cases could be made for the others (only extremely tenuously in RvN's case tho), but if you seriously rate Cole as a better player you're missing something pretty fundamental about football.

Matteh

Cole in his 93-95 time could possibly compare but Henry's peak has easily been longer.

Scaly piscine

So in the 14 years of the Premiership, only 2 out and out strikers have been better than him, wow dire player.

As the poll says 'One of the best ever to play in English Premier League?' you've just said that yes he is.
At least four forwards, there'll be other players as well I just can't think of them off-hand. I only remembered Zola because I looked at the football Hall of Fame list. I've not mentioned anyone who had nearly all of their career or best parts of their career outside of the 14 years (Gazza, Bryan Robson for example) and anyone who's only just played the odd season, so there'll be what around 20-30 players who are definitely better over what really is more like a window of 5-10 years. There are obviously players who are around the same level as well who'll I'm considering equal. Remember I've always said he's a good top flight club player and average international.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Cole in his 93-95 time could possibly compare but Henry's peak has easily been longer.
This is what I was aiming for. In his time he was one of the best. Also second leading goal scorer in the EPL. That's the only basis for his selection. It really is marginal though WRT him.

Matteh

This is what I was aiming for. In his time he was one of the best. Also second leading goal scorer in the EPL. That's the only basis for his selection. It really is marginal though WRT him.
I can't believe he's still playing Premiership football. :blink:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For Marc - Cantona > Henry.
That's a tough one - I'd rank them fairly level, with an edge probably to Henry now because he's been doing it for so many years.

No contest between Henry and RVN for me though - assisting that many whilst scoring more...

Scaly piscine

That's a tough one - I'd rank them fairly level, with an edge probably to Henry now because he's been doing it for so many years.

No contest between Henry and RVN for me though - assisting that many whilst scoring more...
Didn't realise RVN assisted that many [/marc mode]

Scaly piscine

251 > 150

Do I need to quote the meaningful statistics from earlier or does you wit extend to navigating your way to previous pages?

[/marc mode]

Scaly piscine

I thought you'd be trying to find an article that doesn't make chief poseur look so average in international, cup and European games. But obviously that would be like trying to track down the holy grail.

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
So no doubt you will also list a huge number of better players then?
i would be happy to

Basically all Chelsea and United Forwards and Midfields
All the Brazilian Forwards and Midfields(currently in National team)
The Australian forwards and mids
THe English forwards and mids
All the Italian and German Forwards and mids ..............................

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
251 > 150

Do I need to quote the meaningful statistics from earlier or does you wit extend to navigating your way to previous pages?

[/marc mode]
So in 101 extra games, he's scored 77 extra goals - yes - well done for making your argument oh so more strong...

By the way - 172/251 > 95/150

Scaly piscine

So in 101 extra games, he's scored 77 extra goals - yes - well done for making your argument oh so more strong...

By the way - 172/251 > 95/150
Pretty marginal and can be explained by him beating up on rubbish teams, I would guess he spends a fair bit more time on the pitch than horse (dunno if there's anyway of checking my suspicion based on horse's post-injury blues not long before he moved clubs) and being the focus for every CDMs attack. Then you've got...

51/64 >>>>>>> 42/82 in Europe
19/20 >>>>>>> 10/29 in domestic cup competition
28/54 >>>> 39/91 for their country (which is a big difference given the relative quality of their nations)

These are comprehensively better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just as an exercise I thought I'd look at a "better" forward in his games aginst the other 3 sides in the big 4 and the local rivals.

Interesting reading:

vs. Chelsea - 3 goals in 9
vs. Arsenal - 2 goals in 11
vs. Liverpool - 3 goals in 11
vs. Citeh - 5 goals in 7

Overall 11 goals in 38 games, or approximately 1 every 3 and a half games.

I did note 2 of the Liverpool goals were penalties, but couldn't be bothered to go back and look at the other games to check on others.

Good job he got to play a relatively weak local rival to make the ratio look that healthy really...