• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A question for GIMH or any other Tranmere fans

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Reading up about 'The Rockford Files' (great show and Im thrilled its out on DVD now) and I came across this little gem

Wiki on the Rockford Files said:
English soccer team Tranmere Rovers FC have been connected with the show since the early 1980s. To this day, the players still run out before every home game to the sound of the "Rockford" theme on the tannoy. The reason for this has been lost in the mists of time; however, one possible explanation could be that during the 1980s the team played often on Friday nights. This was at the same time as the show was being aired on British TV; thus the theme became a tongue-in-cheek reference to what the alternative could be for the fans instead of watching a struggling fourth division team playing on a cold and wet Friday night.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rockford_Files

:laugh:

Is it true?
Anyone know the origins?

If true, its a little out of left-field and strange

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
They still play on Friday nights a lot, there's almost always a liverpool or everton game on the saturday and iirc Merseyside police don't have enough coppers to police that and a Tranmere game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We do indeed run out to the Rockford files, and have done as long as I can remember, althoguh I don't really notice it anymore so I don't think it's all the time. But when I was a lad, it certainly was something we were known for; if there was a big crowd and it was taking a while to go out, you'd hear the theme for ages. I love it :D

I do tend to believe that Friday night tale, but I've never really known whose idea it was etc. I'll ask in the Clipper pre-match today if anyone knows!

As for Friday nights, tis a disgrace IMO that the police make us play Fridays; I mean don't get me wrong the atmopshere can be good, but playing on a Friday cost us about 500 Millwall fans coming up, and about 1000 Blackpool fans, which equates to a lot of moeny for a club like us :@

Barney Rubble

International Coach
As for Friday nights, tis a disgrace IMO that the police make us play Fridays; I mean don't get me wrong the atmopshere can be good, but playing on a Friday cost us about 500 Millwall fans coming up, and about 1000 Blackpool fans, which equates to a lot of moeny for a club like us :@
The absence of 500 Millwall fans will surely save a few lives, though. :ph34r:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say i find the 'any other Tranmere fans' bit in the title mildly amusing. :happy: