• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite team - why, how, when,what?!

luffy

International Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
Team - Everton

Why? - Dad supports them (he used to go to every game, sadly too expensive for us to see any more than a handful of games a season) and I was basically indoctrinated from when I was little. I can't remember ever feeling any interest in another side, when all my friends were growing up and choosing their own sides, I already hated United/Liverpool. I know no different. My children are definitely supporting Everton anyway.
Another everton supporter!!!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Man City, Melbourne Demons and Sydney Roosters.

Man City because when I was 6 years old I hated United so much that I thought I'd support their closest "rival". Didn't realise they were that dire at the time.

Demons because I was brought up to support them. Everyone in my family does (bar my Auntie, who supports the Bombers)

Roosters because I have since I watched my first game and will until I watch my last.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Man City because when I was 6 years old I hated United so much that I thought I'd support their closest "rival". Didn't realise they were that dire at the time.
Should have chosen *****pool. They (unfortunately) win far more games that City do, too.

ash chaulk

International Captain
AFL - West Coast Eagles- have to go for the home town team. love all the players except josh wooden.

A League - Glory- again Home town

English football - Oxford United - born there went to there games funniest looking stadium

NFL - St Louis Rams- I pretty much picked them because of there colours(blue and gold) but in love with them after reading about them etc etc.

Steulen

International Regular
Football - PSV Eindhoven.

Simply because I'm from the area. I actually couldn't care less about it until I moved away. Now I work in Amsterdam and since PSV has been by far the dominant team in The Netherlands (6th league title in 8 years coming up) at the expense of Ajax I'm camping happily over here. Now if only they can give arsenal the boot in the Champions League in March.

Cricket - Essex

Because of RTD, of course. I'm a turncoat, though. Used to support Sussex while Zuiderent was there and if Kervezee becomes a success I'll happily support Worcestershire too.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In football i go for PSV, firstly it was cause they were one of the first teams i had success with on CM, but its grown since, at first it was just keeping a tab on their results but now i have heaps of PSV stuff, like a signed jersey, phone wallpapers etc... soon ill be getting PSV personalised number plates.

In League i go for brisbane, maily cause when i was 5 (in 1989) a friend who lived across the road told me to support them so i did and it pretty much just stuck...

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
liverpool for me in football. ever since i was a youngfella and good ol craig johnston played i have just supported them and have heaps of stuff in jerseys, pictures ring tones, dvd's etc etc.

rugby league. i supported north sydney as i was ball boy for a few years but when they got punted i just followed newcastle as i hated manly whom which north sydney got taken over with.

ripper868

International Coach
Rugby Leauge - Brisbane Broncos...even though i go for nsw at SOO time. reason i go for them...i use to go for whoever was winning when i was bout 6 then old man said pick a team and so i said whoever wins this year will be it and it was brisbane so i followed them ever since....not with any great passion, im a union man.

Union - Brumbies....do more for country rugby in nsw then the nsw team actually does.

Cricket - NSW - self explanatory

SOCCER - Man United and Sydney FC....man united because everyone goes for them. sydney fc cuz there....sydney fc.

Hockey - Redwings...won stanley cup with them on NHL 2003

Basbeall....Cubs...why not?

David

International 12th Man
My favourite team ever would have to be Fitzroy Lions, chosen when I was really young because I liked lions.. Don't follow AFL that much anymore after they merged with Brisbane. One of the bleakest moments of my life.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Grew up in Camden, probably a mile down the road from where this really good football club played, who everyone in the area and at school supported. Could do worse.

Support Somerset in the county stuff. Originated from when I first started watching county stuff (2008, the first year I had Sky Sports) Trescothick was pretty much the only county regular I knew anything about and already liked, and he was probably the best bat in the county at the time, so I naturally followed and enjoyed the matches he played. I grew in affection for a lot of his teammates and a couple years later I was pretty much a full-fledged supporter.

cpr

International Coach
Oh if I must

Saaawwwkkka (official new name of the FBIFA)
Manchester United. I think we can all guess why. You don't be a city fan around where I grew up - even less where I'm living now (which, alas, because I'm skint, is in Old Trafford...). Remember my first game was a reserve game at Old Trafford in 90/91 season - must've been a kids go free thing because my dad and 2 of his mates decided to take their sons along to a couple of games. We got beat by Everton 3-2, Mark Robbins getting both our goals. I was happy that Bryan Robson was playing on the way back from another injury, dad was just amazed by this Welsh kid on the wing who he predicted would be a utd legend (then spent the next 20 seasons calling him a bag of ****).

Second club is the mighty Trafford FC, just relegated from the Unibond Premier (and to think we were tipped to follow FC Utd to the Conference North this year), screwed over because all the decent players have been enticed by the upstarts at FC and Salford. Spent many a fine afternoon as a teenager playing for their junior team

Have a soft spot for Everton, as it was my Grandads club when he first came to England, for the same reason as I still like them - They're not Liverpool. Keep an eye out for Morecambe results as most of my immediate family live there and my step-dads a passionate fan (I've been to the Globe more than OT in recent years), and Altrincham, as I went to school round there and played for their juniors a few times too. Like most of the forum, I also suffer watching out for Tranmere results too....

Foreign teams

Sound a right glory hunter here, but Real Madrid and AC Milan for me. Milan is a bit glory hunter-ish, as the 89-91 era team was amazing (I was 6 in 89, let me off), stuck with them since, and the kit is teh ***.. Went there for the CL semi in 07 when they beat us 3-0, was a great day and the city is full of fantastic folk, even the Milan fans were a joy. Hated Juve due to our battles against them in the late 90s in Europe, evil team IMO.

Real because when I got to secondary school in 94, Barcelona were the top team, and quite happy to embarrass us in the European Cup (plus I didn't like them because they had the gall to face us in the CWC in 91 - I still remember Clayton Blackmore saving the day). One of my friends family was from Madrid, and he convinced me to support Real. Again stuck with them.

Don't have a German team, Dortmund can do one after 97...

Also, Celtic, because it's ingrained... (soft spot for Aberdeen too, even if the city is one of the dourest to visit)

Other sports (they exist???)

Cricket - Lancashire.... Might be the only thing GIMH and I will ever agree on sporting wise. Actually the only thing Manchester and Merseyside can ever agree on.
Rugby Union - Sale - About the only decent rugby team for around 200 miles (and that includes the League teams - suck it hataz...). Grew up playing union over league (public school FTW) Also free tickets when at school helped

Rubgy League - If I must watch it then Salford, though gone off them since they stuck that huge stadium next door and ****ed up the motorway for getting home from work. Says it all about Salford when they build the stadium at the most remote part of the places boundaries so they can get away from the locals but still claim to be in Salford. They'd rather be next to the sewage works than a Salfordian (smells better TBH)

NFL - Detroit Lions - When Channel 5 (remember that, its still going) launched in the mid 90's, it'd show games late at night (just after your Friday night 70's British smut), Barry Sanders was amazing, so I became a fan of the least successful franchise in NFL. No glory hunting there.

F1 - If you can support a team in it - then Williams, grew up on Mansell and Senna in the early 90's, and then Hill being F1s version of Hugh Grant (wonderfully British, completely inept and out of his depth yet still scores). Went rubbish sure, but always some interesting driving selections rather than just rehashing the old names off the grid each year. Now making Massa look like a racing driver again.

Tennis - Philadelphia Freedom, because Elton wrote a song about them.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Plymouth Argyle - Family are from Cornwall and PAFC has always been the local club for dad.. Been lucky enough to take advantage of a couple of season tickets to home park in recent times
I bet Grecian was in ozone zone when he read the words Plymouth Argyle - local club - Cornwall in the same sentence.

I'm also Plymouth Argyle because it's my local team (local as in Devon).

Cricket I support Kent because it's where my father's side of the family come from. Even though he died when I was 6 and apparently had no interest in cricket, it was still the team I started to follow.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, Celtic, because it's ingrained... (soft spot for Aberdeen too, even if the city is one of the dourest to visit)
Yeah, **** you.

Rangers. As if I had any other choice, I'm from a family of massive Rangers fans, my uncle missed about 5 games in 20 years before he sadly passed, was taken to my first reserve game when I was 5 by my dad when Ian Durrant made his long awaited comeback from injury and I was a season ticket holder for 20 years before boycotting at the start of 2013 due to mismanagement by the board. Was lucky enough to get a ticket through the club for the UEFA Cup Final as well in 2008, shame about the result.

Arsenal - harder to explain - the first full season I can remember following was 1991/92 where it was all about Rangers and nothing else. 1992/93 was the first year I can remember anything about English football and it was the season Arsenal won both cups against Sheffield Wednesday, so there was a bit of an emotional attachment there I guess. Definitely the next season with the Cup Winners Cup run, and it helped that the aforementioned uncle's new girlfriend, later wife, was an Arsenal fan from London, which solidified the family connection. And then Wenger's ***y brand of football which I could watch once my family got Sky sealed the deal.

Have soft spots for a few other teams - Dortmund because of the football they play and the way the club's rebuilt themselves after being near financial oblivion, Barcelona for being phenominal under Guardiola, Ajax because they're a properly big club so I always like seeing them do well in Europe, Atletico because they're not Real, Bilbao for their signing policy, and Queens Park because the first ever senior game of football I went to was a Queens game some time in 1992. But other than a little bit of Dortmund, none of the above get the same love as Rangers and Arsenal do.

Cricket - Lancashire. No idea why, I guess I liked the romance of a properly big county not winning the Championship for ****ing ages, plus they had Flintoff and Anderson who were my favourite players when I started properly watching cricket. And England, because if I was good enough to be an international cricketer, they'd be who I play for. I don't actually mind Australia either, a lot of my favourite players tend to be Australian for some reason.

Rugby Union - Glasgow Warriors. No explanation needed really, home town team. Have a bit of a soft spot for Ulster of the Irish sides because of family (dad's side hail from Antrim), and I quite like what I've seen of the Hurricanes in Super Rugby this season.

Rugby League - Wigan Warriors. I'll admit to blatant glory hunting on this one. They were the best team when I started watching Super League in 1996. When Origin rolls round I support New South Wales, probably because every Queenslander I've actually met or worked beside have been ****s.

NBA - Orlando Magic. Penny Hardaway and Shaq were my favourite players as a kid

NFL - only started to watch it properly in the playoffs this season but properly got into it, will need to get a team to follow for next season.

AFL - Richmond. Blame Jono for that one.

F1 - tend to follow drivers but team wise it's Ferrari. So annoyed this season because they've got 2 drivers I can't stand.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Arsenal, Dortmund, Barcelona, Wigan, Ferrari..... So many reminders of why you need a lengthy ban.

(I'll let you off the Rangers one though, at least your reasonings sound)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Arsenal, Dortmund, Barcelona, Wigan, Ferrari..... So many reminders of why you need a lengthy ban.

(I'll let you off the Rangers one though, at least your reasonings sound)
In fairness, Ferrari were **** when I started following F1.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't support anyone in football, but enjoy Barcelona a great deal because their 2008-09 stuff brought be back to football after I'd sort of lost interest in the sport.

Cricket: Like India. Mainly because it's apparently it's an unlikeable team filled with ****s and .I'm contrarian like that.

Rock n Sock Connection (past) and Cesaro+Tyson Kidd (current) :wub: