• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most dominant sports player of all time

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Who, in your eyes, is the player who has dominated their particular Sport the most, of all time. Bradman for me.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jungle Jumbo said:
Phil Taylor, depending on whether you count darts as a sport or not.
Sport, Game or Hobby?

I'm going for game as Darts is known as a pub game.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
Lance Armstrong deserves a mention despite not liking him personally.
No, he doesn't. For athletic performance, maybe, but Armstrong won three races (two of them stage wins to the big one) a year and trained for the remaining 11 months. That's not dominance.

Eddy Merckx does, tho.

So does Ingemar Stenmark (pretty much unbeatable in slalom for 10-12 years) and Eric Heiden (speed skater who won everything for four seasons at the start of the professional era of the sport).

Still thinks Bradman ranks top for sheer dominance.

Chubb

International Regular
Eddy Merckx without a doubt. Armstrong won the yellow jersey, but Merckx used to win the green and polka dot jerseys as well, and also dominated the other grand tours and the classics.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, Armstrong only does the Tour de France, whereas Mercyx did the Giro, and the Tour de Spain, and all the Classics too. And won them all. Plus he smoked 40 cigarettes a day, quite an acheivement.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bradman, in statistical terms, has a very good case. What is surprising is not so much that he's still clearly the best nearly sixty years after he played his final test, but that he's the best by quite so much. Unparalleled in major sports I would imagine.

The other sportsman who came to mind for me is Ed Moses. In the 400m hurdles he was pretty close to unbeatable for a good many years. After a quick trip to Wiki I find that he was undefeated for 10 years over 122 races.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
In The Best of the Best, statistician Charles Davis argues that Bradman's performance is the most dominant of any player of any major sport. He calculates the number of standard deviations above the mean that several prominent individual sporting statistics lie. The top performers in various sports are:

Code:
Athlete 	     Sport 	     Statistic 	               Standard deviations
Bradman           Cricket 	  Batting average 	4.4
Pelé 	              Soccer 	     Goals per game 	3.7
Ty Cobb 	   Baseball 	  Batting average 	3.6
Jack Nicklaus 	Golf 	           Major titles 	   3.5
Michael Jordan 	Basketball     Points per game 	  3.4
Björn Borg 	  Tennis 	   Grand slam titles 	3.2

In order to post a similarly dominant career statistic as Bradman, a baseball batter would need a career batting average of 0.392, while a basketballer would need to score 43 points per game.

-Wikipedia-

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
TSN a sports channel did analyze all dominating athletes and somehow did an over view of how each athlete would fare in other sports if that was his sport. So for example, how many homeruns would Tendulkar have had he been a baseball player instead of a cricket player. And they came to a conclusion that Tiger Woods was by far the MOST DOMINATING athlete of all time!

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Michael Jordan.

Not at all, non of his numbers are out of this world

hes the greatest bball player of time for various reasons

but overall if u wanna look at the most dominant sports persons ever

u gotta think bout

gretzky
armstrong
maybe tiger woods

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I read somewhere that for Bradman to have such an allround effect on the game, in the way Jordan did in basketball, he would've had to of had a bowling average of around 30. In terms of dominating a particular aspect of a sport, Don's way ahead of everyone.