• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most dominant sports player of all time

Fusion

Global Moderator
Stefano said:
123 SB in 22 season, which means ca. 5 SB per year. That is not a lot. And he was caught stealing 117 times. But he might be considered the greatest baseball player ever.
Agreed that's not a lot, but I was attempting to show that for a guy of his size, he wasn't a total liability at the bases. It just adds more to his legend IMO.

rubble_11

Cricket Spectator
Heather McKay - 2 losses in 17 years of squash (retired then took up racquet ball and became US champion).
Walter Lindrum wasn't too bad at billiards either.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im sure someone will have already mentioned him, but if you consider darts a sport then it has to be Phil Taylor. 13 World Champs and noone else won the World Champs throughout the 90s.

In athletics Ed Moses, Michael Johnson and Sergei Bubka dominated like no others. Brilliant does not describe them and their records.

Obviously, Marciano is the only unbeated heavyweight champ

and Bradman goes without saying

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The Power lost last night though, cracking match in the end, Barneveld taking it 7-6 in a sudden death leg after Phil was 3-0 up early on.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
The Power lost last night though, cracking match in the end, Barneveld taking it 7-6 in a sudden death leg after Phil was 3-0 up early on.
Stunning match, haven't seen anything like that for a long time. Every time it looked like going to either man there would be a twist in the tale. Couldn't get to sleep after watching it, either.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You watched two fat men throwing accurately and then couldn't get to sleep...

Chubb

International Regular
I wish I had seen the PDC final, but I don't have Sky. I hope the BDO final will be Klaasen v. Van Gerwen which would be very interesting. Darts needs to sort itself out because this current system with the two championships (one of which is clearly of a higher general standard than the other) is a ridiculous shambles, whatever the rights and wrongs of it.

PottedMustard

Cricket Spectator
I'll go with a triumvirate of sportsmen who were clearly unbeatable at their peak and who remained at the top for a sufficiently long period to be regarded as dominant:
Phil Taylor
Ed Moses
Mike Tyson