• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English sport in meltdown

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think English sport's really in melt down atm, given your great 08 Olympics.
As good as it was the success was in ‘sports’ that the vast majority of the British populace can not participate in. Track & field, the Olympics most plebian event (and most prestigious), team GB had a very disappointing showing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Back in the crapper?

Not looking too flash just now, is it?

Football: took until the last game of a rather peasy qualifying group to secure a spot in Brazil, recently lost consecutive home games for the first time since the dog days of Don Revie's ill-starred reign & looking like that hard won stay in Brazil will amount to three games.

Cricket: 2-0 down in the Ashes going to a ground where we're won once since 70/71.

League: failed to make the final for the third world cup in a row despite home advantage.

Union: lost a grand slam decider to the Leekists, playing predictable, guileless rugby and put firmly in our place when the ABs came to visit.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, as we say in East Cambridgeshire.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not looking too flash just now, is it?

Football: took until the last game of a rather peasy qualifying group to secure a spot in Brazil, recently lost consecutive home games for the first time since the dog days of Don Revie's ill-starred reign & looking like that hard won stay in Brazil will amount to three games.
I'm no fan of the English national side but I'd dearly love someone to lay me evens on England to qualify.

England's group to qualify wasn't that easy either compared to some others.

And also after the Olympics last year it's hard to say England's sport overall is in a bad state, especially if it's evaluated with reasonable expectations.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm no fan of the English national side but I'd dearly love someone to lay me evens on England to qualify.

England's group to qualify wasn't that easy either compared to some others.

And also after the Olympics last year it's hard to say England's sport overall is in a bad state, especially if it's evaluated with reasonable expectations.
Disagree about the football, I guess we'll see, but agree with Brumbers assessment about the respective strengths of the two respective groups.

Well I was foremost lover of the Olympics, but there was a report, out today I think, to say the Government has massively cut spending in physical education, and the yoof is spending even more time getting obese and picking up diabetes. Whic h is a bloody liberty if you ask me, it's us old uns that should be busy doing that.

Let's face it, with all the goodwill in the World, we all knew that most sports that got many excited in that month were going to be forgotten by nopw, Rowing, Yachting, horsey-bollox, shooting, cycling looking a berk in lycra? Nah.

Legacy what legacy?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm certainly not the arbiter of good taste but the last few posts makes me think of Craigos. No criticism of anyone on here. Just made me think about him and made me a little sad. I wish the best to his family this Christmas.