• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English sport in meltdown

steds

Hall of Fame Member
What are you on about Brumby, Rugby team in the WC Final, footy team poised to qualify for Euro 08 and the Cricket team has just won sucessive ODI series. Oh, and we may well soon have the F1 World Champion as well. English sport is doing just fine :p
lolz.

cpr

International Coach
Meh, give it a week or two and it'll be leathered in the final, out of Euro08 before it begins, innings defeat in the first test and Hamilton into a tyre wall.

Optimism FTW

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, give it a week or two and it'll be leathered in the final, out of Euro08 before it begins, innings defeat in the first test and Hamilton into a tyre wall.

Optimism FTW
Indeed.

Are we back in "meltdown", yet. I do hope so, this winning is so terribly un-English. No need for a stiff upper-lip in triumph, after all.

Still, Steve Webster (the golfer) won in Portugal today, he also won me 204 pounds. So I'll forgive him for crying like a wuss at the end8-) so yay-him.

He also went out with Susie Amy, for a while , which makes him fairly cool in my book.

Attachments

Flem274*

123/5
Pleased Hamilton didn't win. He just really annoys me for some reason, same with Button. Disappointed for McClaren though, they're awesome. (And started by a kiwi legend). Kimi Raikkonen is gun.

Looking forward to see Robbie Kerr join F1 (he should get there). Rather he won instead of Hamilton for the brits. Though Brendan Hartley should destroy them all when he gets there.

I thought the English rugby team played quite well, they were just a little one dimensional. They didn't attack with the backs as often as they should have which is a shame as they look to have some talent there and they should be backing them. Losing most lineouts didn't help.

Perm

I thought the English rugby team played quite well, they were just a little one dimensional. They didn't attack with the backs as often as they should have which is a shame as they look to have some talent there and they should be backing them.
Haha, can tell you aren't a rugby fan.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, can tell you aren't a rugby fan.
What? Robinson, that bloke that sliced the SA defence in half (Tate?) and Wikinson. They're quite decent IMO. They certainly didn't get enough ball.

And you're right. I'm not a rugby fan. I'm certainly not about to pretend to be. Just calling things they way I see them.

Perm

What? Robinson, that bloke that sliced the SA defence in half (Tate?) and Wikinson. They're quite decent IMO. They certainly didn't get enough ball.

And you're right. I'm not a rugby fan. I'm certainly not about to pretend to be. Just calling things they way I see them.
It wasn't supposed to be an offensive or aggressive comment. It was quite funny how you described the English team as playing one-dimensional, which is the reason they've had success in this tournament. Robinson and Wilkinson are class acts, but the rest of the backline isn't up to much.

Flem274*

123/5
It wasn't supposed to be an offensive or aggressive comment. It was quite funny how you described the English team as playing one-dimensional, which is the reason they've had success in this tournament. Robinson and Wilkinson are class acts, but the rest of the backline isn't up to much.
Oops sorry if it sounded like i was lashing out at you, that definitely wasn't the intention.

Mmm yes thats how they have had sucess but all the same, you need to have faith in the whole team and it looked like England didn't.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Almunia for England?

Wenger says yes.

Maybe the fact that a solid Spaniard who's currently in admittedly great form is seriously being considered isn't a sign of meltdown in itself, but it hardly reflects well on the English goalkeeping stocks. When I was a nipper the no1 jersey was shared between Shilton & Clemence and decent keepers like Jimmy Rimmer never got a look. Even when Shilts finally retired we had Chris Woods & big Dave Seaman to feel the gap. Where's all the quality gone?

Elsewhere our league team won one game out of four in the recent world cup (and that versus the might of Papua New Guniea), our union side suffered two record home defeats in the autumn & its most creative player is a Maori and our cricket team lost to the Windies and is reduced to pilfering players from Denmark & Ireland.

Feel free to whinge at our misfortune/laugh at the Poms at your leisure.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea the situation has been pretty bad since Euro 04 no doubt. But i like the looks of Foster, Hart & Joe Lewis as future prospects. They just need first team football & managers to back them TBH.

Couldn't Wenger himself given Hart a chance as back-up to Almunia instead of Fabianski??. I really hope Foster becomes the first team option after VDS instead.

The problem is right now with James he really doesn't inspire much confidence, one can't help but feel he'll do a Seaman 02 if England where to go far in SA.

I'd pick Green to start, but Almunia could very well & make the national squad at least. Spain won't call him i reckon Valdes & Palop are the preferred 3rd choice options ATM.