Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: English sport in meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    TBF that's what Roebuck was saying, Chubb just quoted the old child-beater.
    Aye. I was referring to Roebuck's view of England, not what I think, Phoenix Fire.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    the whole nation now largely consists of ignorant, racist, xenophobic, drunken louts, and what sporting culture we have is obsessed with the individual rather than the team.
    Haha, whoah! I haven't been hacking into Chubb's account!

Yeah, English sport is in crisis, but this is just the natural ground that sport in England has inhabited for years, so it shouldn't come as a shock.. I blame the following

1) Massive amount of apathy - So I'm not the most proud Englishman about, but I begin to think I'm not the only one.. I know countless people who support other nations, or just generally don't care about sport and have other things, like Celebrity Big Brother on their minds.. People will generally support whoever is winning, rather than actually caring about or liking a sport

2) Bad weather, it doesn't help when it comes to cricket.. If I wanted to bowl a cricket ball now I'd have to pay thirty quid to hire a lane at the county ground.. Grass is mud, tarmac is full of cars or people on this crowded and muddy island..

3) The Drink culture - So while all my South African/Aussie/Kiwi friends are down the cricket club braai, most Brits are getting tanked and knocking hells bells out of each other.. If there was a world cup for Disorderly behaviour, or Tossers, England would win hands down (but only if I was allowed to compete).. Englishmen drink with a background to sport, Aussies play sport with drink in the background..

4) Softies - Makhaya Ntini was brought up in shoes made of ****, and he's a damn good fast bowler for it.. I get the impression many English sportsmen are pampered and expect success to come to them.. Maybe it takes a bit of adversity to get the drive to be the best you can be, but I think life here is a bit too cushdy, and many would rather take to the armchair than the rugby pitch
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 20-12-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    Dunno about the rest of you Aussies... but i'm loving this thread It reminds me just what a great country we live in....
    You have Kath and Kim on your stamps, the English have Isembard Kingdom Brunel, The Queen and Father Christmas. Three great British institutions.. You may have the ashes, but I wouldnt get too carried away with how "great" your country is..

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    You have Kath and Kim on your stamps, the English have Isembard Kingdom Brunel, The Queen and Father Christmas. Three great British institutions.. You may have the ashes, but I wouldnt get too carried away with how "great" your country is..
    And you have a 40 year old woman in your avatar
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    And you have a 40 year old woman in your avatar
    You have a tubby St Kilda fan in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    You have a tubby St Kilda fan in yours.

tbf he's got 699 more test wickets than the 40 year old woman.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

PY
    And the same size chest.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Can't hold that against a man, IMO.

Nah, Australia is the greatest... admit it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    pap.

Long may it continue! There are few things that improve my mood more than logging onto the BBC website just after an England team which was deemed invincible goes down to an obviously superior opponent.

It's all so inevitable. Steven Gerrard is the best midfield player in the world, Beckham the best passer, Pietersen the most destructive batsman, Harmison a World no. 1 bowler etc. etc.
    They're all good at what they do, but somehow to the media it seems impossible to comprehend that somewhere out there there may be someone who is, whisper it, better than an Englishman .

The cricket team is actually quite good when it can play in whites, the football team was, is, and always will be dire, and given that hardly anyone plays rugby, you're bound to be top of the tree sometime in the future again...just keep that in mind and it's no worries!
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen
    Long may it continue! There are few things that improve my mood more than logging onto the BBC website just after an England team which was deemed invincible goes down to an obviously superior opponent.

It's all so inevitable. Steven Gerrard is the best midfield player in the world, Beckham the best passer, Pietersen the most destructive batsman, Harmison a World no. 1 bowler etc. etc.
    They're all good at what they do, but somehow to the media it seems impossible to comprehend that somewhere out there there may be someone who is, whisper it, better than an Englishman .

The cricket team is actually quite good when it can play in whites, the football team was, is, and always will be dire, and given that hardly anyone plays rugby, you're bound to be top of the tree sometime in the future again...just keep that in mind and it's no worries!
    Hardly anyone plays rugby? South Africa won the world cup after re-admission when a maximum of 10 percent of the male population had any kind of rugby pedigree whatsoever.. It's all to do with skill, fitness and passion, not sheer numbers..

Apart from that, I agree, I wanted England to retain the Ashes before it started, but it's lovely to see Fletcher who has transpired to be a bit of a tool this winter, as well as the English media and the Barmy Army come up with egg all over their faces.. Shame for everyone else, but heyho, at least they aren't losing to India..

The English media build people up as if they were world beaters and shoot them down hard when things don't go their way.. It's all to do with selling more copies

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    The English media build people up as if they were world beaters and shoot them down hard when things don't go their way.. It's all to do with selling more copies
    They love to turn on their previous sporting heroes. The English gutter press effectively pick and then sack the England football manager not the FA.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    They love to turn on their previous sporting heroes. The English gutter press effectively pick and then sack the England football manager not the FA.
    They need to pull their finger out with McClaren sharpish then.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information