Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: English sport in meltdown

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    We're no Scotland, but we hold our own. We've done alright recently in the worlds before Dott's win last year. The lack of youngsters called Davis probably hampers us

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

As for the other sports, I know v little about squash, badmington or track cycling (I suppose we could charitably call them of selective appeal to the public)
    I tend to follow squash because I play it, and apparently (there was a poll in the Guardian about a week ago) more people play squash regularly than cricket or Union. (about 500,000 people play squash each week and roughly 350,000 play cricket). But it had serious problems viz. spectator numbers because it is very boring to watch at pro level, pros are just too good, it all comes down to absolutely minute mistakes on five minute rallies, and also people think it's just played by stockbrokers in their lunch breaks. Right now, 3 of the world's top 10 men are English, Nick Matthew (5), James Willstrop (8) and Lee Beachill (10) All three of those guys have been higher ranked before I think, and recently retired Peter Nicol was No. 1 for quite a while (but he was a Scot who defected).

There are another 3 English women in the top 10, Tania Bailey, Vicky Botwright and Jenny Duncalf as well as another World No. 3 Vanessa Atkinson who defected to Holland.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Our cricket team isn't that bad. The Ashes have been a case of Australia being awesome, and England losing it at crucial points. We beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka convincingly in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Our cricket team isn't that bad. The Ashes have been a case of Australia being awesome, and England losing it at crucial points. We beat Pakistan and Sri Lanka convincingly in the summer.
    1-1 test series followed by a 5-0 ODI loss is a convincing win now is it?

PY
    IMO, the England cricket team hasn't done well since the Ashes.

We lost in Pakistan, we drew in India (I doubt I'll ever fully celebrate a draw), drew against Sri Lanka when we could and should've thumped them and beat up Pakistan in friendly conditions for our strike bowlers. And we've somehow managed to hoodwink people into thinking we had a chance in the Ashes against an Aussie side which hasn't done anything but win Test matches since 2005 except one where it took a beast of an effort from one man to get a draw out of them.

I'm not generally a doom-and-gloom character when it comes to sport but it has to be said that we're on a bit of a downer in terms of the national sports.

Union = disgrace, football could swing either way. We'll come out of it pretty soon though I think but we could be on for a hiding in the upcoming WCs though.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    The thread title says sport, SP.
    Who said darts? At least Scrabble is a mind sport...
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    1-1 test series followed by a 5-0 ODI loss is a convincing win now is it?
    Forget ODI stuff, it's fairly meaningless as far as form calculator goes. In my eyes, if it wasn't for Murali, we would have white-washed Sri Lanka in the tests.

Forget ODI stuff, it's fairly meaningless as far as form calculator goes. In my eyes, if it wasn't for Murali, we would have white-washed Sri Lanka in the tests.

if it wasn't for Ponting and 10 of his Australian mates we wouldn't be 2.9-0 down in this series

plus i don't think Murali had much of an effect on the Lords resultf

well i never had much interest in Rugby, although i did jump when England won the WC in 2003.

But overall i don't think the Football & Cricket teams are in a meltdown at all. Yes the footballers have been so mediocre and frustrating in the past, but i have great expectations for them to come good in the future, plus the cricket team is in good shape, everyone gets smoked down-under..

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave

if it wasn't for Ponting and 10 of his Australian mates we wouldn't be 2.9-0 down in this series

plus i don't think Murali had much of an effect on the Lords resultf
    In Lords he took half of SL's total wickets. In the 3-match series he took 24 @ 16.87, with the next best being 5 @ 53.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Seems to be altogether too much acceptance of second best in the thread. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely no disgrace in losing to a champion team like the Aussies clearly are, but we haven't even looked like winning a test (even if we were hamstrung by selection issues somewhat). The Ashes very obviously hasn't been a clash of equals.

WRT football, we always seem to delude ourselves we're better than we are. Our players have a great deal of global recognition (mainly 'cos of the popularity of the Prem), but on the world stage we have never been able to string together the set of results needed to win a WC or EC. Moreover our best player at the WC was a Canadian who plays in Germany.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 16-12-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

In Lords he took half of SL's total wickets. In the 3-match series he took 24 @ 16.87, with the next best being 5 @ 53.
    Yes, but at Lords the problem was that we couldn't take 20 wickets not that Murali was bowling us out.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Who said darts? At least Scrabble is a mind sport...
    That was an attempt at humour. Must need some work...

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    well i never had much interest in Rugby, although i did jump when England won the WC in 2003.
    It seems everyone did apart from me. I winced when Robinson scored. Can't get much worse than born in France & played for Wigan.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    That was an attempt at humour. Must need some work...
    Humour doesn't score enough points, 4 of the 6 letters are only worth 1.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information