• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oceanian football moves to Asia

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Oceanian Football Confederation have realised the inevitable - that it's much easier to get through Asian World Cup qualification than through a play-off with the fifth placed nation in South America, who'd be given good chances to thump Japan any day. Amazing that they had to move a whole nation into Asia to get it, really.

Instead of play-offs, the OFC winner will now qualify for the final stage in Asia, so Oceania will basically be a regional group of Asia to reduce travel distances.

http://www.oceaniafootball.com/index.cgi?det=1&intArticleID=2031&sID=12

Any pleased Kiwis? Or any peed off Aussies who realise that moving confederations will only result in longer away trips (and a bit more meaningful club competitions)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia might still get the 2010 World Cup and throw the whole thing into even more of a mess.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not a fan of New Zealand soccer, I obviously like to see the All Whites do well but the Knights just embarass me to be honest. This is good news for the national team though because we should be able to be the best team in Oceania and this would make our qualification to future World Cup's easier.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
would be good to see NZ at the world cup, for a start it would be a boost for the A League in the region as well as the popularity of the game in NZ. It will be tough for them to beat the Asian sides they would be likely to come up against but a hell of a lot easier than south america.

If Australia had of stayed in the region i dont think this change would have been made, obviously FIFA have looked at it and said its pretty much impossible for a side from this region it make the World Cup so we will give them a sporting chance, with Australia in it there was always some chance we could knock off the South American side.

Cloete

International Captain
Yeah it's good news all round IMO. I still think Australia's move into Asia was the best thing possible for us.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I read just yesterday that there are a few countries trying as hard as possible to get us kicked out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
By the sounds of it, only the WC quailfication process is moving to Asia for the final stage. So does that mean that they still get to qualify for Youth World Cups and Confederation Cups through Oceania?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
By the sounds of it, only the WC quailfication process is moving to Asia for the final stage. So does that mean that they still get to qualify for Youth World Cups and Confederation Cups through Oceania?
Yep. Oz' free Confed and YWC spot essentially moves to NZ.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yep. Oz' free Confed and YWC spot essentially moves to NZ.
Well still make the Confed through Asia, i just think our youth sides got stuffed. But i guess if they make it through Asia, they would have earned their spot, still better long term.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Are NZ up to giving (say) South Korea or Japan a game?

Didn't they go down to the Soloman Islands (or some other footballing powerhouse) last time?

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Are NZ up to giving (say) South Korea or Japan a game?

Didn't they go down to the Soloman Islands (or some other footballing powerhouse) last time?
Yeah, we lost to the Solomans in the qualifiers last time. The whole structure of NZ soccer was an absolute shambles at the time though and there were all sorts of problems between players and managers and the like. Since then we've had a bit of an overhaul at the top, with a new chief executive, new management system etc. Ricki Herbert has taken over as coach of the All Whites and seems like he really knows what he's doing.

I'd say that at full strength we're capable of giving Japan a good game, we could probably pinch a result off them at home though it might be a bit much away. South Korea would probably be too good.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think NZ are quite ready to take on Japan, Australia or South Korea yet. Maybe Saudi Arabia is a realistic target though...