• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 matches for stepping on an opponents ankle

Craig

World Traveller
Well the big story in Italian football is Czech star Juve's Pavel Neved got sent off on the weekend for 'voluntarily trod on his opponent’s ankle' 'And after being consequently sent off by the referee, offended him and stamped on his foot, with no damaging consequences'.

Given that now Nedved feel's he has been treated harshaly and is threatening to retire, do you think the ban was too harsh or Nedved is being a sook?

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/dec6g.html

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
5 matches sounds about right for that (assuming it was the opponent's foot he stamped on after being sent off?)

If it was the referee then more (life IMO, but unfortunately they won't do it)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He stood on the players' foot/ankle maliciously, then supposedly stood on the referee's foot. Been trying to find the latter bit on YouTube but haven't seen anything yet, the first incident alone was probably worth a 5 match ban anyway, disgraceful.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
He stood on the players' foot/ankle maliciously, then supposedly stood on the referee's foot. Been trying to find the latter bit on YouTube but haven't seen anything yet, the first incident alone was probably worth a 5 match ban anyway, disgraceful.
If he did stand on the referee then it should a very lengthy ban.

Depends who Juve can get onto the disciplinary committee really...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
If he did stand on the referee then it should a very lengthy ban.

Depends who Juve can get onto the disciplinary committee really...
How long did Di Canio get?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He missed 11 matches, but I think it was a time-related ban (3 months or so IIRC)

Lenient if you ask me, especially as that then filters down to lower levels of football...

Craig

World Traveller
If I'm not mistaken but didn't Di Canio got voted the FIFA Fairplay Award or something similar five years ago?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, he did get an award - completely unrelated to the previous incident.

I mean Zidane still gets praise, even making shortlists for player of the year when he retired half way through it!