• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football World XI's - Eurpoe, South America, Africa

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
EUROPE 20 MAN SQUAD:

GOAL-KEEPERS: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Peter Cech (Czech Republic)

DEFENDERS: Philipp Lahm (Germany), Ashley Cole (England), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), John Terry (England), William Gallas (France), Carlos Puyol (Spain), Gianlunca Zambrotta (Italy).

MID-FIELDERS: Michael Ballack (Germany), Arjen Robben (Holland), Jaoquin (Spain), Christiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Steven Gerrard (England), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Patrick Vieira (France).

STRIKERS: Wayne Rooney (England), Thierry Henry (France), Fernando Torres (Spain), Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine)

FORMATION: 4-5-1

GK – Gianluigi Buffon
RB – Gianlunca Zambrotta
LB – Ashley Cole
CB – Fabio Cannavaro * - Captain
CB – John Terry
RM – Jaoquin
LM – Arjen Robben
CM – Andrea Pirlo
RCAM – Steven Gerrard
LCAM – Michael Ballack
ST – Thierry Henry

Really wanted to pick another striker to start, but with such talented mid-fielders i couldn't keep them out either..

SOUTH AMERICA 20-MAN SQUAD:

GOAL-KEEPERS: Dida (Brazil), Roberto Abbodanzieri (Argentina)

DEFENDERS: Javier Zanetti (Argentina), Cicinho (Brazil), Roberto Ayala (Argentina), Ivan Cordoba (Columbia), Walter Samuel (Argentina), Lucio (Brazil) Gabrielle Heinze (Argentina), Roberto Carlos (Brazil).

MID-FIELDERS: Kaka (Brazil), Emerson (Brazil), Estaban Cambiasso (Argentina), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Juan Roman Riquleme (Brazil), Juninho Pernambucano (Brazil), Ze Roberto (Brazil)

STRIKERS: Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Adriano (Brazil), Robinho (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina)

FORMATION: 4-3-3

GK – Dida
RB – Javier Zanetti
LB – Gabrielle Heinze
CB – Roberto Ayala
CB – Ivan Cordoba
RCM – Juan Roman Riquelme
LCM - Kaka
CM – Ronaldinho* - Captain
RS - Robinho
ST – Hernan Crespo
LS – Lionel Messi

AFRICA 20 MAN SQUAD:

FORMATION: 4-2-3-1

GOAL-KEEPERS: El Hadary Essam (Egypt), Tony Sylva (Senegal)

DEFENSE: Lauren (Cameroon), Emanuel Eboue (Ivory Coast), Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast), Celestine Babayaro (Nigeria), John Mensah (Ghana), Rigobert Song (Cameroon), Taye Ismalia Taiwo (Nigeria).

MID-FIELDERS: Geremi (Cameroon), Michael Essein (Ghana), Mahamadou Diarra (Mali), Stephen Appiah (Ghana), Didier Zokora (Ivory Coast), Salomon Kalou (Ivory Coast), Quinton Fortune (South Africa).

STRIKERS: Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Obafemi Martins (Nigeria), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Mido (Egypt)

FORMATION: 4-2-3-1

GK – El Hadary Essam
RB – Emmanuel Eboue
LB – Celestine Babayaro
CB – Kolo Toure
CB – Rigobert Song
RM – Geremi
LM – Salomon Kalou
LCDM – Mahamadou Diarra
RCDM – Michael Essein
CF – Didier Drogba
ST – Samuel Eto’o* - Captain

Very strong sides, would love it if these sides were picked and clashed in a little tournament. Overall its close between Europe & South America for which continent has the better side, but i'd give it to Europe slightly since defensively they look more powerful.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I don't think Eurpoe would be able to compete, maybe Europe but definately not Eurpoe.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kone from PSV would be in the African squad in front of Mido i feel, maybe im a bit bias but hes an explosive striker whos a proven performer in the CL...

Craig

World Traveller
There is no way in hell that Adriano is should be in there for the South American team and would swap Ballack for Robben at the very least and Ruud van Nistelrooy should be there on the basis of his form for Real Madrid ATM.

Robinho for all his talent and potential is a little bit overhyped for mine.

Simon

i would suggest Jefferson Farfan in the South American squad but i cant see many agreeing even though he'll be one of the best players in the world in the world in five years...

Simon

Craig said:
I expected Farfan to be sold IMO after last season.
he was wanted by Portsmouth, Newcastle and half of the German League.
He was talked into staying until the right club comes along and wants him then PSV wont stand in his way.
Hes an incredible player now i cant wait to see how he goes when hes playing with a lot better players than he is currently...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a big fan of Ronaldo but i think Jaoqiun at his best is a better winger than him, after all its only this season Ronaldo has really shown very good consistency since United signed him for Sporting.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
There is no way in hell that Adriano is should be in there for the South American team.
I know Adriano has been out of sorts since the World, but when i picked the sides i wanted to base it not solely on current form, but a mixture of that and overall career performances and obviously Adriano is good enough to come out of his problems ATM & cause defenders hell again.

Craig said:
and would swap Ballack for Robben at the very least and Ruud van Nistelrooy should be there on the basis of his form for Real Madrid ATM
Why would you want to swap Robben & Ballack wouldn't robben be more effective on the wing than Ballack?, on Ruud yea his form has been superb but couldn't look last Henry, Shevy, Wazza & Torres.

Scaly piscine

Chief poseur as the only forward and Gerrard?!?

Why don't you pick players who can actually turn up for their own country first.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Henry playing as the only foward, its debatable but he's definately good at it, he does it for the gunners & France most of time and very well too. Plus Stevie G has to be in for me..

Scaly piscine

aussie said:
Henry playing as the only foward, its debatable but he's definately good at it, he does it for the gunners & France most of time and very well too. Plus Stevie G has to be in for me..
What games do you watch? Chief poseur is decidedly average for France, particularly when he's on his own up front and supposedly has a sulk when he's playing up front on his own for France (but then he doesn't like playing with Trezeguet either apparently).

Scaly piscine

Matteh said:
Still has an alright goal scoring record.
No it's fairly poo for someone who's played mostly with Zidane in midfield for a team that made two World Cup finals and won one of them. France also have had some very easy qualifying groups which has helped keep his record above being complete rubbish.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm thinking Ferdinand should be there ahead of Puyol and of Ronaldo or Rooney should be in that starting XI. Pirlo and/or Ballack out. Joaquin too is questionable.

Matteh

Scaly piscine said:
No it's fairly poo for someone who's played mostly with Zidane in midfield for a team that made two World Cup finals and won one of them. France also have had some very easy qualifying groups which has helped keep his record above being complete rubbish.
Anyone that has scored 30+ goals at international isn't that dire.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
he was wanted by Portsmouth, Newcastle and half of the German League.
He was talked into staying until the right club comes along and wants him then PSV wont stand in his way.
Hes an incredible player now i cant wait to see how he goes when hes playing with a lot better players than he is currently...
Apparently IIRC his agent said he is only to join a big club. Well the only things big about Newcastle is the stadium, the and chairman's chequebook.