• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest field hockey player ever ?

Who is the greatest field hockey player of all time ?

• Islahuddin (Pakistan)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stephan Blocher (Germany)

• Leslie Claudius (India)

• Stephan Veen (Holland)

• Sean Kerly (Great Britain)

• Juan Escarre (Spain)

• Total voters

Salamuddin

International Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
Alyson Annan, TBH.

Trust McNamara to bring up the chick.

Yeah she was a good player but in terms of skill she wasn't especially brilliant.....I'd say Luciana Aymar of Argentina ("the princess of the pitch" was the most skilful player women's hockey has ever seen.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dhyan Chand ---- he is to hockey what Pele is to football, Babe Ruth to baseball and Bradman to cricket.

Even Ric Chareslworth admitted Chand was the greatest player the world has ever seen.
Chand's hockey stick wasd examined after his death to see if there were magnets inside it -- such was his level of control.

Even someone as racist as Hitler was cso aptivated by Chand's ball control in the 1936 Olympic final that he offered to promote him from a lowly lance-corporal in the Indian army to a colonel if he played for Germany.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
I would Say Shahbaz Ahmed........although I'm sure a lot of my Indian firends will disagree. :)
shahbaz was a magnificent player and certainly an all-time great but if you have to pick one, it really has to be the immortal dhyan chand...:)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gajanayake said:
Dhyan Chand ---- he is to hockey what Pele is to football, Babe Ruth to baseball and Bradman to cricket.

Even Ric Chareslworth admitted Chand was the greatest player the world has ever seen.
Chand's hockey stick wasd examined after his death to see if there were magnets inside it -- such was his level of control.

Even someone as racist as Hitler was cso aptivated by Chand's ball control in the 1936 Olympic final that he offered to promote him from a lowly lance-corporal in the Indian army to a colonel if he played for Germany.
I dare say when I die my stick will be examined too to see if there's magnets in it :sleep:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
She was pretty good, made her provincial side from the ages of 13-18 before she gave it up. But probably not.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Some tidbits about the greatest Hockey Player

* 'Lance Naik' Dhyan Chand first built a reputation for himself while playing for the army.

* At the Berlin Olympics in 1936, Dhyan Chand could not play for finals against Germany, as he was hurt in the feet. At half point, India led by only 1-0. A worried Dhyan Chand removed his shoes and entered the field bare foot. He took India to a stunning victory scoring 6 goals !

* Adolf Hitler, the German dictator, was so impressed by Dhyan Chand's performance in the Berlin Olympic finals that he offered to elevate 'Lance Naik' Dhyan to the rank of a Colonel if he migrated to Germany. Of course, Dhyan Chand refused.

* It was hard for people to believe that somebody could have the kind of hockey skills Dhyan had. In Holland, the authorities broke his hockey stick to check if there was a magnet inside, in Japan they felt Dhyan was using some glue which made the ball stick to it and in Germany, Adolf Hitler believing the stick to be Dhyan's source of power, even offered to buy it!

*Dhyan Chand scored over a thousand goals in a career spanning 22 years (1926 -1948), more than any other hockey player in the world!

*A sports club in Vienna, Austria built a statue of Dhyan Chand with four hands and four sticks. To the Viennese, it seemed that no ordinary man with two hands and one stick could have played as well as Dhyan!.

*In spite of all his achievements Dhyan Chand was a simple man. His autobiography 'Goal' begins with the words "You are doubtless aware that I am a common man!"

After watching him play in Adelaide in 1935, Bradman told him: "You score goals like runs in cricket."

Chand however died penniless and uncared for in a hospital, receiving a meagre pension. Dhyan Chand was very sad to see India finish seventh at the Montreal Olympics, 1976. The Indian team included his son, Ashok Kumar. When he was on his deathbed at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, he reportedly told a doctor that Indian hockey was dying. He then went into a coma and died in 1979.

Fan incidents
Dhyan Chand was a very simple man. Once he played in an exhibition match with a women's team at Prague, after the Olympic Games. A female fan was highly impressed by his game and expressed her desire to kiss him. He stepped back, saying that he was a married person!

Once, some time after the Partition of India, Dhyan Chand was seen at the Lahore railway station, on way to Peshawar as a part of the Indian team that was scheduled to take part in Joshan celebrations in Afghanistan. Thousands of his Pakistani fans rushed to the station to catch a glimpse of the wizard. The surging crowds led to breakdown of all arrangements. One of the members of the Indian team, Krishan Kumar Kakar narrated "Such was the scene on all stations right up to Peshawar where the train reached more than four hours behind the schedule."

Cloete

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
I dare say when I die my stick will be examined too to see if there's magnets in it :sleep:
:laugh:

Can't believe no one's made note of this one. Absolute ripper.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Is there a Field Hockey thread? I play it pretty seriously and would be good to talk to other players.
There's no specific thread about it; there was one for the World Cup a couple of months ago which had a bit of discussion in it (mainly me posting scores and a few other people chipping in) but there's nothing for it in general. There aren't all that many of us who play hockey in here which I'm a bit suprised about considering there's quite a few subcontinental posters.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
De Nooijer by far..legend

I play hockey...although it's more that im ****e at football, and keep a bit of form for the cricket season :p

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kweek said:
De Nooijer by far..legend

I play hockey...although it's more that im ****e at football, and keep a bit of form for the cricket season :p

De Noijer is very good but Shahbaz leaves him high and dry when it comes to pure skillwork with the hockey stick.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I have seen, and been coached by Chand, and it is something really to behold. The ball never, never, ever leaves the end of his stick; He can make the ball talk.

Just as a note, what sticks do you guys have?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kweek said:
still, dutch team by far over Pakistan.

What are you smoking Dutchie boy ?

Pakistan have won more Olympic medals and World cups than Holland And Pakistan beat Holland at this year's World cup.