• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Premiership vs La Liga & the Trials of the English & Spanish national sides.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The Premiership vs La Liga & the Trials of the English & Spanish national sides.

Well firstly on the domestic competitions, a lot of people reckon that La Liga is the greatest league in the world and when you see games like last weekend most would agree. But IMO since Chelsea have become a powerhouse in English football the English game has become slightly better with all of the other major premiership sides trying to catch the blues which has made competition very good over the past two seasons.

But when you come down to strenght of the clubs & quality of players it evens out a bit i.e the top clubs in England are Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham & Newcastle (if they play to potential i guess) while in Spain its Barca, Real, Valencia, Ath.Madrid, Villareal. When it comes to crowd support and turn-outs both leagues are superb & fans equally fanatical about their clubs success which makes if even harder to understand why two countries with such great leagues that have some top players currently keep doing so badly on the international stage.

We all know about England, so i'll look at spain:

In defense on paper its as strong as any side in the world with Goal-keepers such Casillas (arguably the best shop stopper in the game), Reina, Valdez. Then in defense Puyol (one of the best defenders around), Pablo, Ramos (on of the best young full-backs currently), Marchena, Juanito, Salgado, Del Horno & Capedevilla.

Mid-field is very creative with the X-men, Jaoquin & Vicente (two of the best wingers in the buisness), Albelda, Garcia, Baraja along with good talented set of youngsters lead by the Fabregas & Silva.

Then going foward not many sides in world football can boast to have such firepower with the likes of Torres, Villa, Raul, Morientes, Angulo. But just like England they continue to flatter on the international stage.

For me come Euro 2008 an England vs Spain final would be great, but it will all depend on if Mclaren and Aragones can turn their side of talented players into world beaters.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How can i team that are like 18th/19th be considered a top side regardless of any top players they have? :p
You're living 10 years in the past Aussie.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
just because they are having a bad season currently doesn't mean the magpies aren't one of the top sides in the premiership. A side that has the likes of Owen, Emre, Martins, Duff, Parker, Given, Luque certainly isn't poor.

Since the premiership began their record even you leave out this year is fairly good and other tham the likes of Man U, the gunners, Chelsea, Liverpool & Tottenham no other club has a better record i don't think.

1993-94 - 3rd
1994-95 - 6th
1995-96 - 2nd
1996-97 - 2nd
1997-98 - 13th
1998-99 - 13th
1999-00 - 11th
2000-01 - 11th
2001-02 - 4th
2002-03 - 3rd
2003-04 - 5th
2004-05 - 14th
2005-06 - 7th

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Spurs :laugh:

I see the odd La Liga game and the defences look awful, half-decent strikers scoring at will e.g Forlan, but this does mean the games are good to watch. In the Prem even Chelsea and Arsenal struggle to actually hammer sides regularly, it's very competitive and above La Liga for me.

Craig

World Traveller
Personally I love Spanish football, perhaps because ESPN show so much of it it is common for me to check all the Spanish games that are on the weekend and tape them and watch it later.

Anyway Athletico Madrid have been underperforming for a quite a while now and wouldsay the equvilant of Tottenham/Everton in Spain and the success of the Champions League was too much for Villarreal in terms of depth (like what happened with Celta Vigo and their relegation in 03/04) as they struggled in the league and they weren't on song against Athletico. Anyway Aussie you have forgot to mention the form of Sevilla (Jesus Navas and Dani Alaves will surely join much bigger clubs?), Osasuna and Zaragoza. The signing of Pablo Aimar looks to be a shrewd one.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie said:
no other club has a better record i don't think.
I'll ignore the double negative and assume you mean that no other clib has a better record.

If so, you'd be very wrong - United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool all have far, far better records.

Matteh

Tom Halsey said:
I'll ignore the double negative and assume you mean that no other clib has a better record.

If so, you'd be very wrong - United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool all have far, far better records.
He actually said 'other tham the likes of Man U, the gunners, Chelsea, Liverpool & Tottenham no other club has a better record i don't think.'

Matteh

steds said:
Well, yes, but 01-04 they came back a bit.
True, but now they're back to the former period.

They really should have won that one Premiership where they blew a 12 point lead but they've done nothing since really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
just because they are having a bad season currently doesn't mean the magpies aren't one of the top sides in the premiership. A side that has the likes of Owen, Emre, Martins, Duff, Parker, Given, Luque certainly isn't poor.
Notice the distinct lack of defenders in that list of "quality"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tomm NCCC said:
The Premiership is the better league. I dont think i need a reason
IIRC that's what George W said before invading Iraq.

I obviously prefer the Prem, but that's because I was weaned on English football. I suspect at the top level the standard is broadly similar, but La Liga has a greater strength in depth. I would guess they've had more different teams qualify for the CL than us. Of the top of my head we've had ManUre, Blackburn, Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, Leeds & yer Chavs. Toffees jibbed the qualifying round too.