• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Premiership vs La Liga & the Trials of the English & Spanish national sides.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ferdinand could push Puyol in the starting XI & Joe Cole could challenge either Jaoquin or Vicente for a place on the flanks aslo

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
aussie said:
Ferdinand could push Puyol in the starting XI & Joe Cole could challenge either Jaoquin or Vicente for a place on the flanks aslo
Ferdinand's better than Puyol IMO. In his prime I don't know but atm Ferdinand is way in front. Cole's better than Vicente. Not sure about Joaquin though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Vicente is a more natural left-winger than Cole though, but his performances can't match Cole's performances on the left-wing for Chelsea or England over the past 2 years.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
All this talk about Ferdinand is a bit of a laugh, he's IMO the weak link in both England and United's defence. That said, Puyol isn't great either.

roseboy64

Tom Halsey said:
All this talk about Ferdinand is a bit of a laugh, he's IMO the weak link in both England and United's defence. That said, Puyol isn't great either.
:laugh: Now that's a laugh.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ferdinand makes far too many mistakes. Sure, he can occasioanally look good on the ball and he uses it well but he makes far too many individual mistakes. As far as I'm concerned, he relies on Vidic to direct him.

roseboy64

Tom Halsey said:
Ferdinand makes far too many mistakes. Sure, he can occasioanally look good on the ball and he uses it well but he makes far too many individual mistakes. As far as I'm concerned, he relies on Vidic to direct him.
They rely on each other. Vidic provides the toughness while Ferdinand provides the calm figure similar to Bruce and Pallister in a sense.

roseboy64

marc71178 said:
What is?

Someone who supports Manure not immediately adopting your Mr Hanky approach?
Umm no. BTW I don't have a Mr Hanky approach whatever that is. From the context though I'll state that there a few Man Utd players who I feel are substandard and if you're referring to Manchester United's title aspirations they're well founded and if you still think theer isn't a title race and that Chelsea are assured of winning you're seriously deluded and need to stop being an ostrich. That's only if you mean that that is.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
They rely on each other. Vidic provides the toughness while Ferdinand provides the calm figure similar to Bruce and Pallister in a sense.
Neither Bruce or Pallister were anything like Ferdinand. For a start, they were better, but they were old-fashioned, physical centre-halves (somewhat like Vidic), unlike Ferdinand who may look reasonable on the ball but is extremely unreliable.

roseboy64

Tom Halsey said:
Neither Bruce or Pallister were anything like Ferdinand. For a start, they were better, but they were old-fashioned, physical centre-halves (somewhat like Vidic), unlike Ferdinand who may look reasonable on the ball but is extremely unreliable.
Well that's your opinion. (re: Ferdinand) When Ferdinand was banned the wheels fell off what was a good defence. All the other defenders were fit, (not sure about Brown) but it just highlighted his role to the team. He may not look like he does much but play five games consecutive without him against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal and you'll see. He may be a bit overrated I'll give you that but he's a very good centeback and one of the best in the world.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
pre-world cup i'd agree, but definately not since then, you can see Ferdinand has lifted his game to a new level since then for both club & country.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Well that's your opinion. (re: Ferdinand) When Ferdinand was banned the wheels fell off what was a good defence.
Coincidence - we were hardly defending well when he returned, were we?

With all this being said, Ferdinand > Silvestre.

roseboy64

Tom Halsey said:
Coincidence - we were hardly defending well when he returned, were we?

With all this being said, Ferdinand > Silvestre.
Wwell even O'Shea>Silvestre and he's now a midfielder.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
pre-world cup i'd agree, but definately not since then, you can see Ferdinand has lifted his game to a new level since then for both club & country.
Yet he's still made a number of errors for England through lack of concentration post-World Cup...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Wwell even O'Shea>Silvestre and he's now a midfielder.
Amazing that you can post something like that, yet insist that Manure's depth is equal to or better than Chelskis...