• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Being a Wrestling smart

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
TEW I think you're thinking of, it's gun

If you prefer Raw to Smackdown you're definitely not a wrestling smart, I don't mean that in a patronising way or anything bytw
Extreme Warfare Revenge was the the prequel to TEW pretty much, it's still pretty good tbh. Worth a play through if you cba with the sheer amount of detail in TEW.

And yes, if you prefer RAW to Smackdown, or even ECW, you are not a smart.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, HBK-Taker the best markout moment for me possibly ever. The 'smark' in you knew that HBK couldn't possibly win because they will never end the streak, but throughout the match moments made me believe that HBK was going to win. Disbelief was suspended throughout and I really did root for HBK. I was drunk when I watched that, me and my mate gave it a five-minute standing ovation at the end. Still haven't watched it again since, still not sure if I want to either!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Benoit v Angle matches in Smack Down and during that era were my dream matches. Have most of the PPVs of the period too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, HBK-Taker the best markout moment for me possibly ever. The 'smark' in you knew that HBK couldn't possibly win because they will never end the streak, but throughout the match moments made me believe that HBK was going to win. Disbelief was suspended throughout and I really did root for HBK. I was drunk when I watched that, me and my mate gave it a five-minute standing ovation at the end. Still haven't watched it again since, still not sure if I want to either!
Yeah that really is as close to an Art form as Pro Wrestling can get tbh. Two top performers, who almost force the watching crowd to suspend belief. If you can find anyone who can genuinely do that, then you're looking at a once in a generation type character. That is why wrestling can be so good imo, granted a lot of what you see is bilge, but it's things like that which are just impossible not to applaud. Like you, that may be the ultimate mark out moment of all time. As for one, I'm not sure I will ever see a match as good as that, and secondly I don't know if you could find any two guys who were so iconic to such a large audience or fanbase who could simply evoke a reaction amongst so many people, by their presences alone. I've not watched it again since either, but I think sooner or later I will, but I just know it won't be any the worse for it, but nothing will recapture the awesomeness and emotion from watching it live, WAG both of them are.

...on the subject of breaking the streak though, I honestly think, that if they pitch Undertaker up against Cena at a WM, Cena is the one and only guy I can see breaking it, and I really think it may happen....but that is a story for the proper wrestling thread I suppose.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The type of match you enjoy doesn't really determine smart or mark, as someone who prefers technical matches could still completely believe that it was all real. The reason I say that someone who prefers Raw to Smackdown is less likely to be placed in the smart/smark category is because Raw is an entertainment show whereas Smackdown is a wrestling show. Nothing wrong with preferring Raw to smackdown (well, except that Smackdown is just better :ph34r:), just the way I see it.

That being said, I miss Smackdown since cancelling Sky Sports, Raw less so, but I'd still be reluctant to ever term myself a 'smart'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
So TEW 2005 is the best game available or a later version is better?
TEW 2005 is free, the later versions may be better, but you would have to pay for them. I have TEW 2008 and it's pretty awesome, but it is very stats heavy and massively in depth. It's like comparing the Football manager game series to the championship manager games of about 8 years ago, if that comparison is of any use to you.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I prefer Raw because of the matches and entertainment too. The battles in the past PPVs were very good - Legacy (I love Dibiase) v D Generation X, Cena v Orton. It is a bigger show. I am a fan of pure wrestling but I don't see any thing special in the smackdown roster right now. I am bored of Batista and The Undertaker, despite Rey Mysterio being there, I can't watch him as I have seen him millions of times. Same goes for many wrestlers in Smack Down while in Raw I am seeing the likes of DiBiase develop. I do like Superstars and ECW but not Smackdown so much.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
TEW 2005 is free, the later versions may be better, but you would have to pay for them. I have TEW 2008 and it's pretty awesome, but it is very stats heavy and massively in depth. It's like comparing the Football manager game series to the championship manager games of about 8 years ago, if that comparison is of any use to you.
I didn't understand the comparison as I have played football manager just once or twice. Which one should I go for?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I prefer Raw because of the matches and entertainment too. The battles in the past PPVs were very good - Legacy (I love Dibiase) v D Generation X, Cena v Orton. It is a bigger show. I am a fan of pure wrestling but I don't see any thing special in the smackdown roster right now. I am bored of Batista and The Undertaker, despite Rey Mysterio being there, I can't watch him as I have seen him millions of times. Same goes for many wrestlers in Smack Down while in Raw I am seeing the likes of DiBiase develop. I do like Superstars and ECW but not Smackdown so much.
Nah look, in all seriousness it's obviously a matter of personal preference, I personally can't remember a single week since Mania where I have felt that Raw has been better than Smackdown, bit if you prefer it it's your call. My kid bro is the same, but he loves Randy Orton so it makes sense I guess.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I didn't understand the comparison as I have played football manager just once or twice. Which one should I go for?
Well, basically, EWR is just a watered down version of TEW. TEW is massively in depth, you pretty much have to do everything very specifically like decide how long each match is going to last, discuss certain aspects of how you want each match to go with the road agents, decide where you want the show to be held for that night, and stuff like that etc...Whereas EWR takes care of all the really in depth stuff like that for you, you still get to build the shows yourself and sort out all the feuds etc...but not in so much depth or detail. If you aren't sure then maybe read a few reviews of both of them, or just get them both, both TEW 2005 and EWR are free for download iirc, so you could make your own mind up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What about TEW 2005 v TEW 2008? How did you get 2008?
TEW 2008 has a few more features and a better engine iirc, and probably a load of other crap I haven't been bothered to remember/mention. You can probably find the differences on a host of websites though. I paid for TEW 2008, as that is unfortunately the only way you can get it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I will stick with TEW 2005. Looks awesome and a huge improvement on EWR. :) If I like it a lot, I will think of buying TEW 2008. Thanks (Y)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pratters, get yourself some mods for TEW, if you search through pinchy's post in the main wrestling thread you will find a link to them. Allows you to use real feds and wrestlers.

David

International 12th Man
As for someone calling ROH the "real stuff" or whatever was said earlier, it's a bit of a laugh. It's far more watchable from a pro wrestling stand point, but say it to any collegiate level wrestler or follower and watch the horror on their face.
:blink::laugh:
I struggle to understand how you came to that conclusion about my post. Missed by about 90 degrees.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
If you guys were real smarks, you'd hate the business because it ruins people's lives.

As for whether pro-wrestling is stupid, I've watched it almost my entire live and seen pro-wrestling from all over the world. Some of it is athletic, some of it showmanship. The NRL and AFL are just as moronic to me, so it's all a matter of perspective. At the end of the day, it's a hobby.

I stopped watching WWE years ago, but pro-wrestling has been around for well over a century so there's some basic appeal to it. If you don't like the wrestling itself, then it's just a soap opera. Personally, I like wrestling. It's not a sport, but I've seen a lot of hard, hard men in my time who could wrestle.

I dunno. I could tell a lot of people here that their taste in movies or music suck, but what's the point? If you approach any hobby like pro-wrestling with the depth of interest that people approach cricket with here, then you become a connoisseur of sorts. Casually watching WWE is like saying all cinema is Hollywood movies or all music pop songs you hear on the radio. Dismissing it because of WWE is like saying cricket sucks because you saw a Twenty20 game and didn't like it.

Waste of time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, the "I hate it because it's fake" argument is often the funniest tbh, as I find the ones who generally say that will then turn the channel over onto something like CSI, which is of course, incredibly realistic.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:blink::laugh:
I struggle to understand how you came to that conclusion about my post. Missed by about 90 degrees.
You said watch ROH for "pure" wrestling. Which is complete hilarity. Maybe if you actually referred to pro wrestling you might have a point.

EDIT: As opposed to mildly insinuating it.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you guys were real smarks, you'd hate the business because it ruins people's lives.

As for whether pro-wrestling is stupid, I've watched it almost my entire live and seen pro-wrestling from all over the world. Some of it is athletic, some of it showmanship. The NRL and AFL are just as moronic to me, so it's all a matter of perspective. At the end of the day, it's a hobby.

I stopped watching WWE years ago, but pro-wrestling has been around for well over a century so there's some basic appeal to it. If you don't like the wrestling itself, then it's just a soap opera. Personally, I like wrestling. It's not a sport, but I've seen a lot of hard, hard men in my time who could wrestle.

I dunno. I could tell a lot of people here that their taste in movies or music suck, but what's the point? If you approach any hobby like pro-wrestling with the depth of interest that people approach cricket with here, then you become a connoisseur of sorts. Casually watching WWE is like saying all cinema is Hollywood movies or all music pop songs you hear on the radio. Dismissing it because of WWE is like saying cricket sucks because you saw a Twenty20 game and didn't like it.

Waste of time.
The Benoit, Eddie, Henning etc situations are what initially put me off the industry. Became very quickly repulsed by it and it stemmed from there.