• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest French Footballer Ever ?

Who do you think is the best French footballer ever ?

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Even now as well.

Trezeguet - Argentina (grew up there and did say in World Soccer magazine last year he hopes to finish his career at River Plate since he is a fan)
Vieria - Senegal
Makelele - As above
Cisse - As above (IIRC Makelele and Cisse were born there)
And technically Freddy Kanoute.

Plus you have Saha, Gallas, Pires (according to FM he is half Portugese but don't quote me for fact), Dacourt, Thuram, Boumsong (was born in Cameroon), Malouda, Wiltord, Abidal, Anelka etc. were all born or have parents or grandparents from abroad.

France has to be one of the most multicultral countries out there (I know Germany has their fair share of Poles, Turks and those from Croatia and the Balkans after the war in the 90's).
Ha, well i wonder who is the greatest pure French player then if the majority of their great players have links to other nations.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Ha, well i wonder who is the greatest pure French player then if the majority of their great players have links to other nations.
Keegan, duh!

Cloete

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Hmm, I've only seen three, and of those 3 I reckon Cantona and Henry are slightly ahead of Zidane. Then went for Cantona out of bias more than anything else.
:laugh:

Seriously Halsey, you're often rational but that's appalling. :laugh:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Halsey said:
Hmm, I've only seen three, and of those 3 I reckon Cantona and Henry are slightly ahead of Zidane. Then went for Cantona out of bias more than anything else.
That post puts you below a certain Malcolm Glazer in terms of footballing knowledge as far as I'm concerned.

Chief poseur is a below par France international over the past decade, most of their defenders and midfielders have performed leagues ahead of him and that's what their triumphs have been based on. Cantona is worse than chief poseur, barely scored a decent goal in his life and didn't have a particularly good scoring record either. After he was crap for French clubs and Leeds he played at a team where chances were handed on a plate to him at such a frequency that he almost managed to get near a goal every two games.

Zidane is so far ahead of either of them that it's an insult even mentioning them on the same page as Zidane

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Chief poseur is a below par France international over the past decade, most of their defenders and midfielders have performed leagues ahead of him and that's what their triumphs have been based on. Cantona is worse than chief poseur, barely scored a decent goal in his life and didn't have a particularly good scoring record either. After he was crap for French clubs and Leeds he played at a team where chances were handed on a plate to him at such a frequency that he almost managed to get near a goal every two games.
I can't be bothered to argue with statements like those.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Cloete said:
:laugh:

Seriously Halsey, you're often rational but that's appalling. :laugh:
Hmm, I don't see what puts Zidane so far ahead of Henry and Cantona. For a start he played in a different position and thus they're hard to compare, and obviously Zidane was a world-class player, but I don't see what makes him better.

Scaly piscine

Err Zidane was one of the best players in the world if not the best player in the world for a spell. Chief poseur and Cantona were/are average international players who were consistently outperformed by numerous players for France at the time they played, let alone across the world as well.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Err Zidane was one of the best players in the world if not the best player in the world for a spell. Chief poseur and Cantona were/are average international players who were consistently outperformed by numerous players for France at the time they played, let alone across the world as well.
You seem to be basing your whole argument on goal socring records (from post previous to this), yet, although I agree that Henry is over-rated as a goalscorer alone (as far as I'm concerned Cantona wasn't ever rated as one particularly) both were/are so much more than goalscorers.

Scaly piscine

Tom Halsey said:
You seem to be basing your whole argument on goal socring records (from post previous to this), yet, although I agree that Henry is over-rated as a goalscorer alone (as far as I'm concerned Cantona wasn't ever rated as one particularly) both were/are so much more than goalscorers.
No they aren't so much more at all. They're not great passers and they're not particularly creative. They're just like most other forwards who hit the odd ball when needed and invariably some will come off. Chief can obviously get in and around defenses and cut the ball back more than most, but neither have much more ability in creating goals than you average forward, it's just a perception based on hype - which is the whole problem when the easily swayed try to judge players like chief poseur and Cantona.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
No they aren't so much more at all. They're not great passers and they're not particularly creative. They're just like most other forwards who hit the odd ball when needed and invariably some will come off. Chief can obviously get in and around defenses and cut the ball back more than most, but neither have much more ability in creating goals than you average forward, it's just a perception based on hype - which is the whole problem when the easily swayed try to judge players like chief poseur and Cantona.
Cantona and Henry have both made lots of brilliant goals, and scored their fair share of goals too (often at crucial times, Cantona 95/96 CIP). Just search for Cantona on youtube for examples, and one assumes the same for Henry too.

Scaly piscine

Tom Halsey said:
Cantona and Henry have both made lots of brilliant goals, and scored their fair share of goals too (often at crucial times, Cantona 95/96 CIP). Just search for Cantona on youtube for examples, and one assumes the same for Henry too.
They've made no more 'brilliant goals' than you'd expect anyone to make after playing so many times for good teams.