• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mandela is 10 lengths behind Pentane at his best...bizarre result. Good on Mandela though, great run.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Got a tip for Mandela today and laughed at the bloke :(, that said i can't see anything in that making an impact in the Cup.

On Pentane, what was the speed in the race like, because nothing in the race seemed to make ground at all...

_Ed_

Haven't seen any sectionals but I thought the pace looked a bit slow. Also thought horses were struggling to make ground in some of the races earlier in the day so there may have been a bit of a bias towards runners on the pace.

Not making excuses though, Pentane wasn't up to it today and on that run has a 0% chance of winning the Melbourne Cup. :(

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
thewizard1o1 said:
that said i can't see anything in that making an impact in the Cup.
Agree 110%

A tip today... One of mine is having its 2nd start at Hawkesbury today... got nosed out in its 1st start about a fortnight ago and should be pretty much spot on today..

Hawkesbury Race 3 Number 2 - Prince Cashe...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
_Ed_ said:
Fields Of Omagh did it! Amazing performance by the old bloke.
Yeah super stuff, Didnt think he could win, but knew he'd be there abouts... Another Champion retires a winner...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
thewizard1o1 said:
I missed the race and haven't caught a replay yet...Racing to Win a bust?(@ 2000m...)
Racing to win had a very hard run, 3 wide most of the way....

From all reports connections are not very happy with Boss's ride either...

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Yeah, i caught it on racing retro, with all the talk Bossy was doing through the week the ride didn't look good at all.

_Ed_

Anyone here live in Melbourne? Just wondering if someone could give a weather update ahead of the amazing raceday on Saturday.

(although I am a supporter of those calling for a reduction in the distance of the Derby, but that's another matter)

_Ed_

Lovely run Seachange in the Myer, probably could have held on if she hadn't been attacked for the lead by Honest Politician. Great run by the winner too though.

Efficient was awesome, maybe he'll be the 2nd in the last 8 Derby winners to go on and do something else.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Great Day's racing..

Efficient was Super, his acceleration inside the last 100 was unbelievable..

Desert Wars start to finish win in the Mackinnon was also a great run..

The Melbourne Cup took a bit more shape today... Headturner and Railings are both GONE!! Maybe Better was a good run and it certainly comes into contention with the light weight and IF Efficient pulls up ok he is a BIG hope in the cup carrying 49kg...

Godolphin again flop in Melbourne with Imperial Stride out of the Cup...

Barrier Draw tonight will be very very interesting...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the final field for the Cup has been decided and the Barrier draw has taken place...

Full Barrier draw for Melbourne Cup (Barrier number in Brackets)
1. Yeats (Ireland) (Barrier 4)
2. Delta Blues (Japan) (11)
3. Railings (2)
4. Tawqeet (USA) (9)
5. Geordieland (France) (10)
6. Headturner (19)
7. Short Pause (Great Britain) (17)
8. Activation (22)
9. Land 'N Stars (6)
10. Mahtoum (7)
11. On a Jeune (15)
12. Pop Rock (Japan) (12)
13. Zipping (20)
14. Dizelle (21)
15. Ice Chariot (1)
16. Kerry O'Reilly (New Zealand) (5)
17. Zabeat (New Zealand) (16)
18. Art Success (Great Britain) (13)
19. Demerger (23)
20. Glistening (Great Britain) (24)
21. Mandela (New Zealand) (14)
22. Dolphin Jo (18)
23. Maybe Better (3)
24. Efficient (New Zealand) (8)

The top picks all seemed to draw well with Yeats(4) and Tawqeet(9) getting great draws..

Efficient if he backs up will take number 8...

An early look at the form and im finding it hard to go past Tawqeet and Yeats.. If Efficient backs up i would also include him, but in saying that i would be very wary how he pulls up more so because this is his 1st ever prep and to back up after a 2500m derby into one of the toughest races in the world is not an easy task..

Now theres always a roughie that gets into the multiples so a look towards who that could be...

We know On A Jeune can run the distance but he hasnt really come up this time in, and the same can probably be said about Headturner and Ice Chariot... I liked Dizelle before she drew 21.. So the 2 that im looking at are probably Land and Stars, despite his poor run in the Caufield Cup i think it will be much better with a run under its sleeve and the other one is Kerry O'Rielly... I didnt want to overlook the Japanese horses either but Delta Blues looses my support because they have taken off the aussie hoop and replaced him with a Japanese rider, whilst im holding out a little on Pop rock for the moment..

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I'm tossing up between backing Tawqeet and Pop Rock, I think I'll end up siding with the local. Efficient was super impressive but I'm willing to risk a one in 60 years achievement. It wouldn't surprise me if we get another Brew this year though.

Last edited:

tadeusz

State 12th Man
Melbourne Cup 06

Most, if not all, Aussies (and maybe a few others) will have an tip for the race that stops a nation.
What are yours?

I'm gonna chance my arm on 150:1 outsider Demerger, for not real reason.