• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Voltman said:
Which bit? That he doesn't go well left-handed? Check some of the videos of his races.
More so that the change in way of racing directly leads to his soreness...

They what him to race left handed they should give him a full preparation going left handed. Its just an excuse imo

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
thewizard1o1 said:
More so that the change in way of racing directly leads to his soreness...

They what him to race left handed they should give him a full preparation going left handed. Its just an excuse imo
I don't think I quite said that. He developed an injury but that's not related to the change in way - it was just unfortunate that it was before he went left-handed last week.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nah - wasn't even nominated. I think they were looking for some of the major Aussie races for him.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
No excuses for me.... IMO he hasnt been beating super horses, whereas Racing to win has been up against the likes of Eremein, Desert War etc...

I think the hype over El Segundo has been so over exagerated its not funny.. I think Racing to win will clean up in the Cox Plate now...

Also how dissapointing was Primus again... This horse promises so much but never delivers on the big stage... John O'Shea has said on numerous occasions that he consistently matches Racing to win in all Trackwork but when it comes to the track Racing to win seems to switch on that little bit more...

Another good caufield Cup trial also on Saturday with Growl coming in from 150's to 7's after his win... David Hayes has been talking him up for a little while now and his win on the weekend was promising, but with only the 1 week turnaround to the cup im still not 100% sure...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Watching TVN's Racing review last night(missed it sunday morning) Damien Oliver has a VERY BIG opinion of Pop Rock! Beat last years Caufield Cup runner up Eye Popper a few starts back and they reckon its a very strong horse, and Oli honestly thinks its the horse to give him his 5th Caufield Cup...

Might be one to watch for sure...

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I'm backing Railings E/W in the Caufield cup today. I haven't been following the horses much this year, usually I punt right through the crappy winter meets, so this is just a lazy interest bet. Form not great but he drops 3-4 kilos on what he has been dragging around and at least you know he can run out the distance.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Blewy said:
Well, the Spring Carnival gets into full swing this weekend with some big races to come in the next few weeks...

My early tips for the carnival:

Caufield Cup: Sphenophyta
Cox Plate: Racing to Win
Melbourne Cup: Tawqeet

My worry with Racing to win is the distance but if he settles i think he will give El Segundo a big shock...

Tawqeet may shock a few for the Cup, but to me it looks like he can stay all day and i would have tipped him in the Caufield as well but im not sure he has the turn of foot that Sphenophyta has...

Court Command looks the goods in the Guineas this weekend, whilst im also going to tip Primus in the Toorak to beat Rewaaya, as for the Yalumba i dont think its a 1 horse race as a few are suggesting... El Segundo deserves favourtisim but i would not rule out Zipping, Pompei Ruler and the old boy Fields of Omagh...

Wasnt i proven wrong... Bummer i didnt get on him for the Melbourne Cup before this as his odds will be pitiful now..

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They did, but Tawqeet was going as well as any of them. I don't believe any horses that finished behind Tawqeet yesterday can finish ahead of him at Flemington.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
_Ed_ said:
They did, but Tawqeet was going as well as any of them. I don't believe any horses that finished behind Tawqeet yesterday can finish ahead of him at Flemington.
Tawqeet got a dream run 3 and 4 back the fence and only went around one horse, while the others were out 3 and 4 wide for the trip. But in saying that Tawqeet was atleast hitting the line as good as anything. Outside of Yeats is there anyother 'big guns' to come into the field for the cup?

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
thewizard1o1 said:
Tawqeet got a dream run 3 and 4 back the fence and only went around one horse, while the others were out 3 and 4 wide for the trip. But in saying that Tawqeet was atleast hitting the line as good as anything. Outside of Yeats is there anyother 'big guns' to come into the field for the cup?
I disagree about the dream run... Had he stayed on the fence then yes he would have had a perfect run and probably would have won be even more... But Dunn took him off the fence about the 250-300 and he hit a wall, had to check come back across heels to the fence and then get going again.. To find the turn of foot he found after doing that was a sign of a super horse... I agree that of the rest Delta Blues and Pop Rock were the best cup trials, but for me Tawqeet was the standout..

The dissapointments were without doubt Railings and Headturner... I had Headturner in my top 3 for the Melbourne Cup but now i am struggling to keep him there..

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Blewy said:
I disagree about the dream run... Had he stayed on the fence then yes he would have had a perfect run and probably would have won be even more... But Dunn took him off the fence about the 250-300 and he hit a wall, had to check come back across heels to the fence and then get going again.. To find the turn of foot he found after doing that was a sign of a super horse... I agree that of the rest Delta Blues and Pop Rock were the best cup trials, but for me Tawqeet was the standout..

The dissapointments were without doubt Railings and Headturner... I had Headturner in my top 3 for the Melbourne Cup but now i am struggling to keep him there..
Its still a dream run imo, the fact that he was still able to switch back to the fence after making a boo boo, when you only have to pass one horse to winn a race you are doing alot better then the ones out wide for the entire trip.

That said i agree that he was the most impressive run of the race.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geelong Cup today, Pentane will beat this field easily if he's at his best. Here's hoping.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Cox Plate on Saturday? I like Grey Swallow, Racing To Win and Miss Finland with her tiny weight.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
_Ed_ said:
Geelong Cup today, Pentane will beat this field easily if he's at his best. Here's hoping.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Cox Plate on Saturday? I like Grey Swallow, Racing To Win and Miss Finland with her tiny weight.
Havent really taken alot of notice of the Geelong Cup yet... Will have a look at it soon...

As for the Cox plate... I like Racing to win.. I also think Miss Finland will be very hard to beat... As for Grey Swallow and Honor at War both are very much unknown.. Im dont see how honor at war can come out of quarantine on the eve of the race and be able to do any good.. Grey Swallow could surprise though...

El Segundo will not do any good, very very over-rated..