• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really sad to hear. She was always one of my favourites, ever since a ridiculous maiden win at my local track here in Ruakaka. An absolute gem of a mare.

Molehill

International Captain
This week used to be my favourite of the year, but Cheltenham has lost its magic. The Mullins operation has now got so big it had almost as many runners as the entire English contingent on Day 1, and 3 times the winners. There were 100 runners on Day 1 in the Graded Races in 2009, there were 48 yesterday. The English trainers can't be bothered to compete with Mullins anymore so wait for when he's less likely to turn up with an army at Aintree. It's just not competitive anymore. Lossiemouth hacked up in the Mares when she should've been competing in the Champion. The NH Chase was a 7 min bore.

The people attending are just there for a social day out, they're not Racing enthusiasts. A sad state of affairs.

flibbertyjibber

I'm going tomorrow, can't wait. Looking forward to seeing Envoi Allen again. The big hope I have is that Fergal O'Brien pops his Cheltenham cherry.

The Mullins domination is worrying but you can't blame him or the owners for the horses going to the best.

As for Aintree, Mullins might send his 3rd string and clean up as he must have a chance of the British trainers title the way he is cleaning up.

Molehill

International Captain
I'm going tomorrow, can't wait. Looking forward to seeing Envoi Allen again. The big hope I have is that Fergal O'Brien pops his Cheltenham cherry.

The Mullins domination is worrying but you can't blame him or the owners for the horses going to the best.

As for Aintree, Mullins might send his 3rd string and clean up as he must have a chance of the British trainers title the way he is cleaning up.
Hope you have a great day. Numbers are clearly down so it will make it a better experience getting around the course.

Yeah, really hope Crambo wins, would be good after the sad story of Highland Hunter on Tuesday.

The problem is that Mullins has built such a huge operation that it's going to take years to compete with. None of the horses he's won with at the Festival ever went to auction, he has the resources (both money and personnel) to buy heavily in private. His competition is simply not getting access to them. They're not even advertising their ability in point to points because he already owns them. Over 200 horses in one yard, and most of them were probably more expensive than virtually all that were bought in England. Annoyingly, he does seem like a nice bloke, but what he's doing to a sport I love is not great.

It's come to something when you find yourself half hoping an Elliott horse beats one of his.

Good to see de Bromhead have a couple of winners anyway.

flibbertyjibber

Well i got out on top but Envoi Allen getting beat cost me a packet.

Grey Dawning and Shakem Up'arry were my winners. Left before the last race as was fed up of drunks. There was even a punch up in the bogs before 1.00. Crazy.

Molehill

International Captain

_Ed_

Oh boy - Antrim Coast, who was four lengths behind Orchestral in the NZ Derby at the beginning of this month, just headed over to Australia and won the Group Two Alister Clark. Good luck to the fillies lining up against Orchestral in the Vinery next Saturday.

_Ed_

Sure enough, Orchestral won the Vinery - she's just a very, very good filly. But jeez, Nash Rawiller made it interesting with his tactics on the runner-up.

_Ed_

Justify disqualified from his Santa Anita Derby win. Doesn't affect his subsequent Triple Crown sweep (even though he wouldn't have been in the Kentucky Derby without the Santa Anita win), but he's officially no longer undefeated.

Molehill

International Captain
Justify disqualified from his Santa Anita Derby win. Doesn't affect his subsequent Triple Crown sweep (even though he wouldn't have been in the Kentucky Derby without the Santa Anita win), but he's officially no longer undefeated.
It’s also not stopping him becoming an awesome stallion either. Will be interesting to see what City Of Troy achieves this year, looks an absolute superstar….

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Timeform have already done the ratings for the race, this is where Pride Of Jenni sits in terms if other mares this century.

Australian mares this century by Timeform rating:
Black Caviar: 136
Winx: 134
Makybe Diva: 129
Sunline: 129
Pride Of Jenni: 129

ashley bach

International Captain
Incredible performance by Pride Of Jenni in the Queen Elizabeth today. The whole race is well worth watching, but this sums it up:

Meanwhile, Orchestral was well below her best in the Oaks - maybe one run too many in the campaign.
That's just remarkable. Outside of long distance jumps races I've never seen a horse 30 lengths in front coming around the turn in any race never
mind in a race as high quality as the Queen Elizabeth.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Kotare Chief got out as far as 25 lengths in front, according to Keith Haub, back in the 1987 Auckland Cup, going on to win by 7 lengths, but the horseflesh won't have been quite as impressive as the QEII.

flibbertyjibber

Timeform have already done the ratings for the race, this is where Pride Of Jenni sits in terms if other mares this century.

Australian mares this century by Timeform rating:
Black Caviar: 136
Winx: 134
Makybe Diva: 129
Sunline: 129
Pride Of Jenni: 129
Saw the split screen of this and Winx and Pride of Jenni was 2 and 3/4 lengths ahead at end. 20+ lengths ahead at bend. Shows how good a performance it was and that it wasn't a fluke or a bad year and one decent horse.

Obviously gives no indication of what may have happened if they met but gives a good guide as to how brilliant a performance it was.

flibbertyjibber

Id say it is the same as Frankel in his Guineas and Msster Minded in his first Champion Chase, a jaw dropping display that you need to watch again and again just to let it sink in.