• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Musket was awesome on Wednesday, as well as a couple in Melbourne Here de Angels, and Estelle Collection all will be very big players in the spring..

The Guineas races are going to be absolute screamers... I have a feeling last seasons 2yo's will not be up to the class of these newer horses...

Haradasun in again today at Caufield up against last seasons Slipper winner, Miss Finland... Miss Finland is 1st up so she wont be 100% fit however i think Haradasun will be to good for her even if she was 100% fit..

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The TAB went down just before midday here, which meant I missed out on the $10 on offer for Kristov as the TAB bookies' "Lay of the Day", so I got it at $7s.

Jokers Wild was impressive.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3rd, I do apologise for that. :oops: Good run though, had to use up a lot early but fought on well. Really great win from Seachange, that was incredible. I didn't think she'd be up to it but...wow.

And yeah I was impressed with Jokers Wild, tough to beat in the Hawke's Bay Guineas next start for sure.

Great race between Miss Finland and Haradasun earlier, think the latter might have got up if Rawiller had sent him around the outside instead of trying to get a run along the inside. Take nothing away from Miss Finland though, great performance.

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah super race... Haradasun got stuck for a run but when he got free he showed what he can do... Miss Finland surprised me a bit i didnt think she would be hard fit enough to withstand the challenge but to her credit she did...

Simon

Blewy, noticed yesterday Regal Troche is paying $301 for the Melbourne Cup, whats his path to making the big race, hes obviously gonna need to improve a fair bit on his last run, but whats next for him?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
Blewy, noticed yesterday Regal Troche is paying $301 for the Melbourne Cup, whats his path to making the big race, hes obviously gonna need to improve a fair bit on his last run, but whats next for him?
The tightfisted NZ TAB don't even have him in their futures betting - I was going to stick a lazy fiver on too.

Simon

Voltman said:
The tightfisted NZ TAB don't even have him in their futures betting - I was going to stick a lazy fiver on too.
forget it, Blewy told me a few hours ago hes gone. Has a bump to the leg or something and its stuffed his preperations...

_Ed_

Bad luck, sorry to hear that.

Sphenophyta - too short in the Caulfield Cup?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ed,

Mate of mine has a share in Halobelle. which is nommed for the 1000 Guineas. Paying $80s at the moment, so I made a $5 "investment". :D

Last edited:

_Ed_

Noticed her run in the Ray Coupland Stakes, nice effort for fourth, looks to have some ability. Good luck to your mate with that! And to you with the bet of course. Couple of decent horses in the 1000 though...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Naturo, for one...

Halobelle debuted well at Oamaru back in July - I got the tip from the trainer in the pub the night before but didn't back it, and she paid $7s. :(

_Ed_

Is she nominated for the 2000? Wouldn't surprise me to see fillies who are just a little bit below Naturo and Magic Tryst and the like go close in that race, as Jokers Wild apart I think the colts are weaker than the fillies.

In fact the colts are looking really quite average, hoping like hell that we haven't seen the Derby winner yet.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, the Spring Carnival gets into full swing this weekend with some big races to come in the next few weeks...

My early tips for the carnival:

Caufield Cup: Sphenophyta
Cox Plate: Racing to Win
Melbourne Cup: Tawqeet

My worry with Racing to win is the distance but if he settles i think he will give El Segundo a big shock...

Tawqeet may shock a few for the Cup, but to me it looks like he can stay all day and i would have tipped him in the Caufield as well but im not sure he has the turn of foot that Sphenophyta has...

Court Command looks the goods in the Guineas this weekend, whilst im also going to tip Primus in the Toorak to beat Rewaaya, as for the Yalumba i dont think its a 1 horse race as a few are suggesting... El Segundo deserves favourtisim but i would not rule out Zipping, Pompei Ruler and the old boy Fields of Omagh...

_Ed_

My view on NZ horses taking part in the Spring Carnival, might be worth having a look at some of them but of course bear in mind that I'm horribly biased:

Caulfield Cup - Can't see any NZ-based horses getting anywhere near this year, so I'll have to settle for Sphenophyta's NZ heritage. The only one we've actually got among the nominations is Sculptor. A decent horse at best, but that happens once in every 10-12 starts, and he'll probably find it a bit too short anyway.

Cox Plate - Seachange is IMO easily the best horse in NZ at the moment. She didn't quite manage the 2000 of the Kelt but fought all the way and I believe she'll weigh in in the Cox Plate if they decide to try it. She may not win, but if she's in front at the turn into that short straight at the Valley she'll be hard to get past and could easily run a place. If they go for the Myer Classic with her on Derby day I'd very strongly suggest you put a couple of dollars on her.

Melbourne Cup - A race we traditionally do rather well in but have been embarrassingly poor in of late, as exemplified by the way in which we celebrated Xcellent's "mighty" third-placing last year. But this is the strongest group of NZers we've sent over, sadly made slightly weaker by the season-ending injury of Zarius (Zabeel ex Sadler's Home by Sadler's Wells...watch him next year). Leading them is Auckland Cup winner Pentane, the only horse to beat Xcellent on NZ soil (admittedly in a trial, but easily), he is proven at the distance and has an impressive turn of foot. He won fresh-up over a mile before turning in a performance that could be compared to a pile of steaming fecal matter last start. Apparently he had a skin rash. If he's recovered and runs his best race I think he's the best chance we've had of taking out the Cup since a mare called Ethereal. It might just be bias and patriotism and all that, but I genuinely believe he's as good as any other stayers in the race and has a decent weight for the winner of Australasia's third-richest (soon to be second at $1m :D) 3200m race.

Kerry O'Reilly is a dour stayer who surprisingly ran second in our premier WFA race last weekend...I'm still trying to figure that one out. I don't think he's up to it in terms of class...but I thought he'd be unsighted in the Kelt. I'll say here that he can't win though.

Zabeat ran second in the Auckland and Sydney Cups last season, and Olivier Doleuze is coming over from Hong Kong again to ride him in the Melbourne Cup. I don't think he can win, but there is absolutely no doubt about his ability at the distance.

Envoy...seventh last year, that's the best he can hope for this year.

My picks for the major races:

Caulfield Cup - Sphenophyta
Cox Plate - El Segundo (but go Seachange!)
VRC Derby - The One (but how bad was his run last time? Shocker)
Melbourne Cup - Pentane

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A peek at the NZ Trotting Cup:

The big question on every harness punter's lips a few weeks out from the cup is whether the queen, Mainland Banner, ($3) will line up. She created history by becoming the first ever four-year-old mare to win the cup last year, but soreness in a couple of her joints have restricted her build-up, and a run-around next Tuesday will either remove the question mark from beside her name in the fixed odds, or remove her name all together.

The delay in getting her back to the track will make defending the crown rather difficult - particularly as she goes back to the 10-metre mark thanks to her win last year.

Potentially oining her on the back mark are Howard Bromac ($25) and Mi Muchacho ($18), who each won an Auckland Cup last season (due to two being held). I simply cannot give the grey, Mi Muchacho a chance, simply because he doesn't go well at all left-handed. That problem was exacerbated last week at Cambridge, where he developed problems in his off-front forelock (or something like that), which means he gets sore going left-handed as all the pressure is on the outside legs. Four times in a row now, he has tried and failed on the left-handed trip. Howard, on the other hand, is a chance - purely because he's been there and done that. Forgive his Oamaru run - he was a bit fat, and the race didn't pan out the way trainer Kirk Larsen would have hoped - and his run at Addington last week, was much more meritorious, particularly as the distance didn't suit.

The other chances? Sly Flyin may be 8, but he showed plenty of racing nous at Cambridge last week and at $25, the former juvenile star could be a great rough chance.

It's Ella ($40) is another Southland horse (along with Howard) doing the province proud, although she's been a touch unlucky in her runs this campaign and will need a placing at least in the next few weeks to secure a spot.

The big mover in the fixed odds market has been Bailey's Dream ($6). Trainer Steven Reid has his team cherry-ripe at present, and Bailey's Dream is possibly the pre-cursor to something even better from Reid's barn - Monkey King, described by northern scribes as the fastest pacer over 200 metres they've seen in years.

Others to consider are The Flyin Doctor ($20), particularly as the Butt/Anderson team have two other stable runners (Tribute ($25) and former Queenslander Flashing Red ($14)) likely to start in the race. They've already influenced a couple of races this season with smart driving, and could do the same if the race panned out the way they'd like.

The other obvious favourite is Christian Cullen's offspring, Roman Gladiator ($5.50). However, he showed in the Hannon Memorial that leading isn't his thing - he'll be relying on a drag into the race then a withering sprint at the end of the 2 miles to win.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Potentially oining her on the back mark are Howard Bromac ($25) and Mi Muchacho ($18), who each won an Auckland Cup last season (due to two being held). I simply cannot give the grey, Mi Muchacho a chance, simply because he doesn't go well at all left-handed. That problem was exacerbated last week at Cambridge, where he developed problems in his off-front forelock (or something like that), which means he gets sore going left-handed as all the pressure is on the outside legs. Four times in a row now, he has tried and failed on the left-handed trip. Howard, on the other hand, is a chance - purely because he's been there and done that. Forgive his Oamaru run - he was a bit fat, and the race didn't pan out the way trainer Kirk Larsen would have hoped - and his run at Addington last week, was much more meritorious, particularly as the distance didn't suit.
I find this to be a load of BS, Last year in the cup he galloped about 50 to 100 meters after turning for home, so at the time was going in a straight line and broke under pressure when mainland banner turned on the gas.

Is Monkey King going to run? Flashing Red no hope...Cobbity Classic is a chance to go over there too according to 2ky (take that for what you will...)

_Ed_

Didn't see the race today but I notice El Segundo was only third...any excuses or just a below par effort?