• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Western Australian Jockeys to Win the Melbourne Cup:

Damien Oliver - 3
Doreimus: 1995
Media Puzzle: 2002
Fiorente: 2013

Mark Zahra - 2
Without A Fight: 2023
Gold Trip: 2022

John Marshall - 1
Rogan Josh: 1999

John Miller - 1
Galilee: 1966

Molehill

International Captain
A lot of talk about a new horse to the Henderson stable, Willmount.

Plan is to set him up for a crack at the Supreme Novices at Cheltenham.
Made his debut at Newbury today - jumped like a stag and outclassed his rivals. I think Altior made his debut in this race too. Be interesting to see where he goes next....but I'd imagine he'd go straight into Graded Company now.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
You'd think racing journalists would do some research before releasing articles. Horses have won two Group 1s at the 4-day Flemington Melbourne Cup carnival long before Pride Of Jenni came onto the scene.

Rogan Josh (1999), Let's Elope (1991) and At Talaq (1986) all won two Group 1s during the Melbourne Cup carnival - the famous Mackinnon Stakes/Melbourne Cup double. In fact that double was achieved quite a few times.

Article link: https://www.racing.com/news/2023-11-11/news-review-incredible-jenni-creates-history-111123

First paragraph of article:

"Pride Of Jenni became the only horse to win two Group 1 races for the Flemington carnival when she again led throughout to capture the Kennedy Champions’ Mile"

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
The first paragraph in the article about an hour ago said:

"Pride Of Jenni became the only horse to win two Group 1 races for the Flemington carnival when she again led throughout to capture the Kennedy Champions’ Mile"

Now that first paragraph has been changed to:

"Pride Of Jenni has capped off an incredible week and etched her name into the history books, winning two Group 1 races for the Flemington carnival when she again led throughout to capture the Kennedy Champions’ Mile

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Horses to win multiple Group 1s during the 4-day Flemington Melbourne Cup Carnival in the same Year - Past 40 Years

2023: Pride of Jenni (AUS) - 2
Cantala Stakes (1600m)
Empire Rose Stakes (1600m)

1999: Rogan Josh (AUS) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

1991: Let's Elope (NZ) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

1988: Empire Rose (NZ) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

1986: At Talaq (USA) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same old same old at Down Royal and Wincanton. Elliott wins 10 of the first 11 races at Down Royal and Nicholls has 4 winners and a 2nd in the first 5 at Wincanton. Both target these meetings every season. Like shelling peas.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Horses to win multiple Group 1s during the 4-day Flemington Melbourne Cup Carnival in the same Year - Past 40 Years

2023: Pride of Jenni (AUS) - 2
Cantala Stakes (1600m)
Empire Rose Stakes (1600m)

1999: Rogan Josh (AUS) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

1991: Let's Elope (NZ) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

1988: Empire Rose (NZ) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)

1986: At Talaq (USA) - 2
Melbourne Cup (3200m)
Mackinnon Stakes (2000m)
Good story about Pride of Jenni that you probably know

Teenage daughter of owners tragically passed away & all their horses are named after her

flibbertyjibber

Any thoughts on Jamie Spencer's ride on West Wind Blows?
Given up trying to work him out ages ago. Usually criticism of him is waiting too long and not getting there but not the case here. Probably the jockey that gets the most criticism in Europe so a bad ride is no shock here.

Molehill

International Captain
Biggest surprise from that race for me is that a horse rated 111 can go off a short priced favourite in a Group 1. I've not seen it, but a mid race move is very un Spencer like who as @flibbertyjibber says, normally likes to leave it as late as possible.

First big jumps meeting of the new season this weekend, surprised to see no mass attack from Ireland on Cheltenham.

Molehill

International Captain
Protectionist kicked a wall at his stable in France and sadly had to be euthanised due to a fractured leg on Wednesday.
It's very sad but it sums up horses. We own a couple of ponies for my eldest daughter, l have never come across a breed of animal so intent on trying to kill itself in so many ways. In last week's storm, our two chose to stand under trees instead of hiding in their actual shelter!! It's why I've always had such an issue with people who say Racing is cruel. Horses love to run, but they're just as likely to injure themselves in a field (or even a stable in this case).

_Ed_

I try to maintain my professional objectivity as much as possible, but the connections of today's NZ 1000 Guineas winner are some of the best people I deal with in this industry - and the trainers of the Listed sprint winner and G3 New Zealand Cup winner are top-notch too. Delighted for all of them.