• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Updated Cup Order of Entry following Interpretation's Bendigo Cup win - moves to 24th. Also Interpretation has not recoeved a weight penalty for the Melbourne Cup....will carry 50kg.

The winner of Race 2 at Flemington on Saturday, G3 Archer Stakes (Hotham) at 2500m gets a guaranteed entry into the Cup.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What are the reports over there as over here we are being told Vauban is fit and ready and destroyed Absurde in a strong gallop the other day. All aboard.

_Ed_

It's going to be really interesting to see how Ladies Man goes on Saturday and then again in the Cup. I'm cautiously thinking he might be the best Cup runner NZ has had for quite a while - he certainly compares pretty favourably with a horse like Who Shot Thebarman, who had a couple of top-five finishes in the race.

Ladies Man will definitely run the distance out strongly, and 50kg isn't much weight for a big horse like him. However, he's a son of Zed and would appreciate some rain. That looks pretty unlikely, so the firm ground might be a problem for him.

flibbertyjibber

Obviously the list I am looking at over here is showing Vauban has 8 stone 9 to carry and that is a featherweight for him given he had 11 stone 10 when watching Constitution Hills backside at Cheltenham. Can't see past him and the Mullins front running tactics will probably be used, get in front, dictate the pace and avoid trouble on the best horse in the race.

Bring it on.

Molehill

International Captain
Obviously the list I am looking at over here is showing Vauban has 8 stone 9 to carry and that is a featherweight for him given he had 11 stone 10 when watching Constitution Hills backside at Cheltenham. Can't see past him and the Mullins front running tactics will probably be used, get in front, dictate the pace and avoid trouble on the best horse in the race.

Bring it on.
Weights are all relative, but I suspect Vauban is a Group 2 horse masquerading as a handicapper. Positioning in the race could be draw dependent, I suspect they'd run him prominent without necessarily having to make the running.

UK Bookmakers have him as 5-2 fav with Gold Trip at 4-1 and Without A Fight 7-1. I still think Absurde at 20's could be value.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Just announced...no penalty for Kalapour for winning G3 Archer Stakes (2500m). He stays on his weight of 50kg for the Melbourne Cup.

Archer Stakes (Hotham)/Melbourne Cup Double

2009: Shocking
2000: Brew
1974: Think Big
1958: Baystone
1949: Foxzami
1944: Sirius
1943: Dark Felt
1931: White Nose
1922: King Ingoda
1870: Nimblefoot

_Ed_

Alcohol Free hasn't really performed up to that $10 million price tag so far in Australia.

flibbertyjibber

She was a big disappointment after her 2 year old year over here and was a massive shock winner of the July Cup when she last won. No surprise she still struggles.

Molehill

International Captain
Alcohol Free hasn't really performed up to that $10 million price tag so far in Australia.
That price tag probably represents breeding value too mind. Used to be trained in the village up the road from me.

Interesting goings on in the Breeders Cup with a number of European trained horses being scratched after the vets decided they weren't fit enough to run, apparently they know more than Aidan O'Brien about his horses. Not sure they're used to seeing horses not drugged up on lasix. Didn't stop him having a one-two anyway and Big Evs was a great winner of the 2 year old sprint.

Molehill

International Captain
Man, Without A Fight has gone to a new level.
Won it easily. This seems like it's been a plan for about 18 months. The fact it was never sold just changed trainer to stay in Aus after last year's Cup suggests they'd worked this out a long time ago. Fair play to them, pulled it off with aplomb. I'm semi claiming an English one-two!!

Disappointing run from Vauban, never seemed right in the race. Even so, Moore had it in the right spot all the way, crazy to think he was winning the Breeders Cup Turf in LA on Saturday.

We should mention Auguste Rodin too, has become a real star after a couple of shockers. I don't know if he'll run again, but given how he perfectly combines the Deep Impact/Galileo bloodline, he's going to be in a lot of demand at stud.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vauban was beaten as they turned in. Moore looked after him then
Mate of mine is a big punter and I don’t bet at all so I asked him for a tip

He told me this morning that Vauban would finish so far back that they would need to send out a search party :laugh:

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Winner too good. Soulcomb missed the start....again, ran 2nd. The outsider Sheraz surprised and ran well for 3rd. Ashrun - ran super. Credit to the Maher/Eustace Stable to get him right after a 3 year lay-off with injury, ran 4th, so glad I backed Asheun at $101 4 weeks ago and then $51 2 weeks ago on Bet365....they paid out for 4th place in the Melbourne Cuo which was good. WA jockey Mark Zahra...his second Melbourne Cup (won it in 2022 - Gold Trip)....riding very well.

Also, I think the mindset for a lot of people (not necessarily on here) has to change now in regards to disregarding a horse who is having their second (or more) attempt at winning the Melbourne Cup. One of the processes of elimination was to not back a horse who was having another attempt at winning the race if they didn't win the previous year. In recent times - it's changed...

Horses to win the Melbourne Cup at their second + attempt - Since 2000:

1st: Brew (finished 10th in 1999)

1st: Fiorente (finished 2nd in 2012)

Twilight Payment (finished 11th in 2019)

1st: Verry Elleegant (finished 7th in 2020)

1st: Without A Fight (finished 13th in 2022)

Last edited: