• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ed to post picks prior to the cup next year.

I got a place on Spanish Mission but Very Elegant busted my trifecta

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Big congrats to @_Ed_, who part-owns Markus Aurelius, the winner of the $230k Group 2 Coupland's Mile at Riccarton today. Welcome to the CW Group race-winning owners club.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks! Even though he's been aimed at this race since April, it still felt a bit surreal to see him win it (and in such great style).

It was a great end to an up-and-down few weeks - wondering whether we could travel from Whangarei to Christchurch for the race because of Covid in Northland, whether we could go because of potential Covid in Christchurch, whether we would make it there after flight cancellations made us postpone by two days, and then whether the horse could handle jumping from gate 13 with 57.5kg on his back. After all that, it's hard to believe it worked out the way it did this afternoon!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not horse racing, but thought I'd put it here. I've watched the video of Mark Todd hitting the horse to get it through water and couldn't see what was wrong. He only did it to get the horse to move and was hardly "beating". Thoughts?

_Ed_

@Flem274* will know a lot more from an equestrian perspective, but I'm not going to defend Todd at all here. I winced watching that footage, and it's definitely not the way I want to see a nervous horse being educated or encouraged.

Having said that though, the BHA welcomed Gordon Elliott back with open arms after what IMO was a fairly modest suspension for what he did, so there's not much they could do here that would be in proportion.

Flem274*

123/5
Haven't seen it yet. Surprised Todd lost his cool in public. Despite his skeletons he's a lot more aware of how he might come across than say, Andrew Nicholson.

flibbertyjibber

Don't you just love officials, Sam Whaley Cohen who is the best amateur jockey that England have had over the last 20 years announced on Thursday he was retiring after the Grand National. Come Saturday he wins the race on the horse owned by his dad sitting on a saddle with his brothers name on it (died in his 20's of cancer) and everyone is delighted.

What do the stewards do, give him a 9 day ban for overuse of the whip.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
One of the pacers I have shares in won her 3rd race from 5 starts tonight and looked really good doing it. Dare to dream...

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Nice one Smudge.

Over here Baaed won his 10th race by cruising home in the Juddmonte International and the comparisons to Frankel and Sea The Stars are off and running. Just appreciate them all for what they are/were and enjoy it.

_Ed_

One of the pacers I have shares in won her 3rd race from 5 starts tonight and looked really good doing it. Date to dream...
Fantastic, congrats! What an exciting start to a career. Will follow with interest from here.