• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In less disturbing, but disappointing news, Auckland's Covid cluster is having a huge effect on the NZ Derby - our greatest thoroughbred race.

Best-case scenario at this stage is that it'll be run on Sunday (a day late) and behind closed doors at Ellerslie, its rightful home. But if Auckland's current restrictions are extended, it sounds like Plan B might be a relocation.

Either way, since I'm able to provide coverage from home, it might be most responsible for me to stay away. But it'll be the first Derby I've missed since 1998, and my poor parents have been to every one since they moved up to Auckland in 1980. :( A minor inconvenience compared to what Covid has done to people all around the world, but still.

flibbertyjibber

So worse emerged last night with a video of a jockey jumping onto a dead horse as it is being removed from the gallops while he and his mates all laugh. Said jockey rode a winner at the festival last year and is supposed to ride today in Ireland.

Rumours of 2 other videos that are as bad/worse to come.

_Ed_

Cheers! Can't believe it. Obviously it wasn't the normal Derby Day atmosphere, but still bloody special to have a win on a day like that. Apparently the Easter Handicap is on the radar now - we'll see.

I see you picked up a black-type placing at Alexandra Park on Friday night too?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
We did, although she was a $1.40 fave and had a softer run than the one that beat us home.

She's had a long campaign and I suspect she's a little tired. Time for a bit of a spell, I reckon.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, safe to say that's a bit of a story, didn't even bet on it, but that transcends many things.

_Ed_

Female jockeys have been dominating premierships and winning all of our major races in NZ for decades now, so it feels kind of strange to see such shock in media reports about this result. But I guess it was the same in Australia when Michelle Payne won the Melbourne Cup, and it's still happening over there now whenever Jamie Kah does Jamie Kah things. But hopefully days like this, in front of huge TV audiences, will help other countries catch up a bit in terms of giving female riders the opportunities they deserve.

I don't really follow the jumps, but it seems like Blackmore's having an incredible run - she had a great Cheltenham as well.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Female jockeys have been dominating premierships and winning all of our major races in NZ for decades now, so it feels kind of strange to see such shock in media reports about this result. But I guess it was the same in Australia when Michelle Payne won the Melbourne Cup, and it's still happening over there now whenever Jamie Kah does Jamie Kah things. But hopefully days like this, in front of huge TV audiences, will help other countries catch up a bit in terms of giving female riders the opportunities they deserve.

I don't really follow the jumps, but it seems like Blackmore's having an incredible run - she had a great Cheltenham as well.
She had the choice to ride the Gold Cup winner too, but chose the second, I mean De Bromhead is doing incredibly really, he was really self-deprecating in the interview after the race and acknowledged Rachael was the story, but as anyone knows a jockey can only win if they have the horses to ride.

_Ed_

A big couple of days in Auckland this weekend for CWers - runners in a Group One at Alexandra Park and then a Group Two at Ellerslie. Best of luck to Smudge tomorrow night.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately not a big couple of results! Your boy never looked that comfortable just now. Our two last night were a mixed bag - the 2YO is a bit inexperienced, while NYN was excellent from a tough draw and finished off well.

_Ed_

Yeah, not a single top-three finish between us! :( But circumstances weren't in our favour and they're all still young horses. Hopefully onwards and upwards from here.

_Ed_

Last week's Kentucky Derby didn't really do much to excite - Bob Baffert won it for the seventh time with an all-the-way effort by Medina Spirit. I briefly had a flicker of interest with this horse costing only $1000 as a yearling and $35k as a two-year-old, but he's still ended up being owned by a mega-rich Saudi businessman. Ho-hum.

Jim Bolger's effort to win the 2000 Guineas as breeder and trainer (and wife as owner) of Poetic Flare was pretty awesome, especially since he also bred, owned and trained the sire Dawn Approach, and even trained the grandsire New Approach.

Meanwhile in Australia, Explosive Jack (bred and bought in NZ, I must add) has been pretty incredible in winning a Derby in three different states, and apparently now aiming for a fourth in Queensland. Never seen a three-year-old campaign like it.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Last week's Kentucky Derby didn't really do much to excite - Bob Baffert won it for the seventh time with an all-the-way effort by Medina Spirit. I briefly had a flicker of interest with this horse costing only $1000 as a yearling and $35k as a two-year-old, but he's still ended up being owned by a mega-rich Saudi businessman. Ho-hum.
Things have got a little more exciting now.

_Ed_

Yeah, ****ing hell. First time they've run the race without Lasix, and this happens. American racing is horrific for this. Baffert has history in this area as well.

_Ed_

As far as cancel culture is concerned, I have no idea what the hell he is talking about.
:laugh: