• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nicely done!

You did better than I would have. I would have gone for Sky Lantern, clearly the class horse in the Nassau. But she never saw daylight at all. Desperately unlucky.

_Ed_

Gutted. Quality racehorse, and it's a shame we won't see her again. It might sound unpatriotic, but I expected her to turn the tables on It's A Dundeel in the Cox.

_Ed_

There really is nothing in the world like Breeders' Cup Saturday - nine G1 races, all season-ending championships. Just awesome. And there was brilliant action all the way through yesterday. Three 2012 winners came out and defended their titles, and there was a stunning three-horse war in the Classic.

2013 Breeders' Cup Classic - Mucho Macho Man - YouTube

And I loved the Juvenile win by New Year's Day. Where did he come from?! Hoping a new star was born here.
2013 Breeders' Cup Juvenile - New Year's Day - YouTube

Burgey

Yuck. Gai Waterhouse won a Melbourne Cup. Odious first lady of an odious racing family. Bloody woman cost me thousands when I had a horse with her. Hope she tripped and fell on the way to the mounting yard.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
yesssss

backed Red Cadeaux for a place, first good bet of my life, probably only won about 20 bucks but whatever

edit: actually it payed 11 bucks for a place, so I probably won more

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Yuck. Gai Waterhouse won a Melbourne Cup. Odious first lady of an odious racing family. Bloody woman cost me thousands when I had a horse with her. Hope she tripped and fell on the way to the mounting yard.
and no doubt her absolute **** of a son wouldve made millions today

Burgey

Mind you, it's always a treat being out and about in Martin Place on Cup day. Fascinating.

flibbertyjibber

Roll on Tuesday and Cheltenham.

Got a nice tasty 25-1 antepost bet on the 2-1 favourite in the opener so fingers crossed I get off to a flyer.

For anyone looking for a tasty priced ew bet this week then Sraid Padraig looks a decent one.

_Ed_

Any thoughts on California Chrome's shot at the Triple?

Jeez, this horse is a machine. His effortless acceleration just blows me away. I haven't been this excited about a Triple Crown bid since Smarty Jones in 2004. But, just like with that horse, I have a bad feeling about the distance of the Belmont. I hope he keeps going, but I'm scared that he'll start to wobble and get caught by some newcomer with fresher legs. But I hope he can do it. It's been a long wait - 36 years and counting - and it'll have to be one of the greatest sporting feats of the year if he finally breaks that drought.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
It was disappointing to see California Chrome fall short in his Triple Crown bid. I thought the coverage was pretty poor though. No attention at all was given to the winner and the connections. Instead the audience had to put up with a very emotional rant by one of California Chrome's owners, they should've just left him alone. A pretty sour sort of atmosphere, I thought.

On another note Ed, the NZ breeding industry really know how to breed quality stayers don't they? You only have to look at the results during the recent carnivals, the NZ stayers have more than held their own. I'm a firm believer that the NZ sprinters are well short of ours, but any race over 1600m is one where you have to treat the NZ horses with genuine respect. I'm a big fan of distance racing and I have many gripes with its current state in Australia. The overseas influence is just becoming a bit ridiculous in Sydney.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Absolutely. Although I think the European stayers are even better than ours at the moment. They've been dominating the big cup races over the last few years, and I think that might continue.

Speaking of Europe, some awesome racing at Ascot overnight. Jeez that Kingman is a good horse.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Absolutely. Although I think the European stayers are even better than ours at the moment. They've been dominating the big cup races over the last few years, and I think that might continue.

Speaking of Europe, some awesome racing at Ascot overnight. Jeez that Kingman is a good horse.
Oh the European stayers are definitely superior to the New Zealand ones. For a relatively small country with smaller breeding operations they certainly manage to hold their own overseas, which is a great effort. It gets a bit tiresome after a while though in Sydney, when you see 4 or 5 Chris Waller trained imports competing in the same race. It's not healthy, IMO.

I own a tiny share in a horse called Planet Purple with my father and thankfully he manages to acquit himself well against the overseas stayers. Raced on Melbourne Cup day last year, and that was a massive thrill.

_Ed_

Triple Crown!

In my time as a racing fan I've seen nine bids come up short in the Belmont, so I began to doubt if I would ever see one. Yesterday was a special day. :)

His name may be misspelled, but American Pharoah is one hell of a racehorse.