• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Auckland Reactor is BACK! Was apparently amazing at a trial at Ashburton today - carving the last 800m in sub-55, and the last 400m in about 26.4 untouched with the very classy mare Nearea Franco on his back.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's good to hear, wasn't convinced we'd ever see him on the track again.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
wasn't convinced we'd ever see him on the track again.
Pffffft - that "mystery back" injury was a cover-up and a half for a terrible Jewels draw, I reckon - he was always going to come back. They just wanted to keep his unbeaten 3-year-old record with his stallion career in mind - trust me, knowing one part of the connections, they'll do anything to keep up appearances....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And he's off to the spelling paddock now. No excuses yesterday, he jumped well, got a nice sit and - quite simply - had nothing.

Sadly, I backed the wrong Kiwi - Red Ruler tended to be up on the bit and raced a bit keenly - still kicked on for sixth when he got the gap, but he'll need to settle better in the Cup. Nom Du Jeu, on the other hand, was massive, and would have won if the race had been 50-60 metres further - great Melbourne Cup trial.

_Ed_

Yeah, excellent run.

You know who else was massive? Moveovr in the Ray Coupland Stakes today. Unbeaten in 4 now and a real chance in the 2000 Guineas.

_Ed_

Would make a nice change.

A couple of disastrous efforts yesterday at Tauranga - Il Quello Veloce & Quartz Reef in particular.

_Ed_

Bizarrely, Princess Coup has been entered for both the Cox Plate in Melbourne and the Captain Cook Stakes at Trentham on Saturday, and Opie Bosson is booked to ride her in both.

She's a super horse, but that could be asking a little too much of her...

_Ed_

Didn't see Auckland Reactor's win today, was he impressive?

Fully Fledged sure was in the Sarten at Te Rapa today. I thought he couldn't go further than 1200...I was wrong.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't see Auckland Reactor's win today, was he impressive?
Was he impressive? The horse is a ****ing freak. Unbelievable. By this stage, I don't expect to be amazed by him, but he keeps on doing it. Today, he stepped terribly again (much like what he did at the Ashburton trials on October 14) - in contrast, Nearea Franco, far from a mug herself (the 4YO mares Jewels winner with ease last season), stepped perfectly and went to the lead.

They were in Indian file before Purdon (who settled about 5th last) pulled out and went out to sit parked. He pulled up just about alongside with 200m to go and eventually pulled away from Nearea Franco to win by 1 1/4 lengths.

But that doesn't tell the whole story - Nearea Franco got away with soft sectionals early on (the whole journey was run in 3.02.9 - almost 5 seconds slower than the Flying Stakes) but the last 800 was a staggering 54.2 (sheer lightning).

Forget that though - the last 400m was 25.6! To put that in perspective, it's the fastest ever 400m in NZ history (possibly Australasian?) breaking the previous best of 25.9 set by - you guessed it - Auckland Reactor back at the Southern Supremacy Stakes at Ascot Park in April.

The scariest thing for every other pacer in Australasia (Blacks A Fake included) is that unbelievably the most Purdon did was shake up the reins. The whip was never used...

Will his connections pay up for the NZ Cup? I'm not convinced they will, considering he's making such a mess of the starts, but if he goes to the Miracle Mile instead then... look out Australia.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last years winner Efficient has been scratched from the Melbourne cup. For those in the know, can other horses be called up to the race? Or is it to late for a sub, so to speak.

_Ed_

Still plenty of time, I think there are still 38 entered and the top 24 will start.

The owners of Efficient still have a massive chance of winning the race IMO, with NZ Derby winner C'est La Guerre. Hugely talented horse.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah fair enough. Assuming they select the top 24 on recent form? Or is there an overall rankings type system?

_Ed_

I think it's an overall system, because Prize Lady (winner of 2 Auckland Cups) is safely in despite poor recent form. I'm not sure how they do it though, whether it's based on career earnings or some other criteria.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's an overall system, because Prize Lady (winner of 2 Auckland Cups) is safely in despite poor recent form. I'm not sure how they do it though, whether it's based on career earnings or some other criteria.
I was talking to a guy at work about it today - the prime example is the WA horse Gyno, who won the WA Derby a year and a half back yet still is high up the list because of that win. Group One staying races give a huge boost to a horse's ranking - eg. Boundless' win in the NZ Oaks, Nom Du Jeu's win in the AJC Derby and Red Ruler's second in the same race and C'est La Guerre's win in the NZ Derby last season. There are races with automatic entry like Saturday's Saab Quality.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
After the blasting Opie Bosson got last week for his ride on Princess Coup, I hope Craig Newitt gets the same this week. That was ****ing atrocious.

_Ed_

Yeah, definitely. Has Princess Coup ever been given a good ride in a race in Australia? Can't remember one.

And the VRC Derby was absolute rubbish, again. None of the field from last year have won a race since, and I don't see today's 80-1 winner doing so in the near future. I hope they learn soon that 2500m at the start of November is too ****ing hard on a 3yo horse. Back to 2000m, please.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Although, don't get me wrong about Princess Coup - I don't think she could have won the race or even placed in the first three the way she eventually did travel when she got clear, but at least give her half a chance, Newitt.