• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sounds like there will be an extra four $1 million races on the thoroughbred calendar this season - the 2000 Guineas, Telegraph, Derby and Auckland Cup.

Absolutely thrilled about those two 3yo races, couldn't care less about the handicaps but it's good to see that sort of money being given out. Having said that though, the Telegraph has had some outstanding horses win it in recent years - Keeninsky, King's Chapel, Darci Brahma, Seachange...
Yeah. I'm bloody delirious that Winston Peters has been another $9m of tax payers money to increase stakes funding to the Racing Industry. Effectively wealth redistribution from the average income earner to the richest people in the country. Oh, the prestige is nice I'm sure, but he only gave $20-25m back to the Racing Industry 2 years ago, why the **** should tax payers give another $9m? ****ing ridiculous.

If the Industry closed down the loss making tracks and actually ran itself like a proper ****ing business, then hand outs would not be required.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love the Taupo August meeting. Last year some decent horses ran - Alamosa and Insouciant for example. It was no different this year.

IMO we saw the 1000 Guineas winner today. Not sure if it'll be Bankside Belle or Amaryllis, but I do think one of them will do it. They both looked outstanding today. If I had to choose one of them it'd be Amaryllis, she was really professional for a first-starter and showed a pretty special turn of foot.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Insouciant may have been good last year, but lost a few admirers in the office today - yes, 1200m isn't her go, but she couldn't even see that out.

Bankside Belle's race became a bit of a farce when she was one of only two that didn't have to stay in the gates for 10 minutes while they dealt with Strabelle, who had tossed herself under the gates.

_Ed_

Yeah that was ridiculous, although it was a comfortable win in the end and I don't think the result would have been any different even if the situation before the start had been properly handled.

Not sure what to think about Insouciant. This was a much weaker performance than any she had as a 3yo, and weaker even than the trial she had before this race (where she gave at least 5kgs to Princess Coup and only just went down). I believe that at her best she'd win the Mudgway, so I hope we see the real Insouciant on August 30.

Also, a couple of races have lost their G1 status. One is greatly overdue - the Avondale Cup has been barely G3 quality for at least the last decade (She's A Meanie, Trounced, Regal Krona, The Mighty Lions, Creil...need I say more?) - and the other is a bit more controversial, the Wellington Cup. RaceCafe is up in arms. :laugh:

But really, was Willy Smith a genuine G1-quality horse? Young Centaur? Admittedly, the same questions can definitely be asked of the Auckland Cup. The 2400m City Of Auckland Cup on the other hand has been absolutely outstanding since its inception.

_Ed_

Mudgway day on Saturday, some ridiculously good fields. One that really stands out to me is the fourth of the day, for 3yos:

1 111 Altered Image 5 80 58.0 Michael Coleman Mike & Paul Moroney, Matamata
2 X2112 Rough Odds 6 75 55.5 Mark Hills Craig Ritchie, Pukekohe Park
3 3721X Juice 8 72 54.5 Leith Innes John Wheeler, New Plymouth
4 2148X Lady Alberton 3 72 54.5 Sam Spratt Richard Yuill, Pukekohe Park
5 3480X Noble Manor 9 70 54.0 Mark Walker, Matamata-Rangiora
6 1 The Diamond Knight 4 69 53.5 Steven Pinfold, Byerley Park, Kingseat
7 2721X Awesome Planet (AUS) 1 68 53.5 James McDonald (a1) Rogerson/Lucock/Bergerson, Tuhikaramea-Palm Nth
8 1 Redessi (AUS) 2 68 53.5 Richard & Chris Otto, Te Awamutu
9 93X Baloo 7 56 53.0 Noel Harris K W, B W Hawtin & S R Autridge, Te Awamutu

:-O

Also:

Open handicap featuring Pentathon, Katy Keen, Mirkola Lass, Capecover, Izzat and Nanjara.

Rating 90 featuring Veloz, Ebony Babe, Fully Fledged, Eye Me Up and Bewildered.

Rating 94 featuring Red Ruler, Mufhasa (if he doesn't make the Mudgway field), Rios and Patrick.

Oh, and the Mudgway of course. I just did some selections for Hawke's Bay Today, so I had to hop off the fence. Went Insouciant-Fritzy Boy-Sterling Prince in the end. Favourite Bulginbaah to finish outside the first 5 IMO.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Fritzy Boy won the Mudgway, absolutely massive performance. Won 8 from 13 starts now, not bad at all.

Katy Keen was brilliant as well winning fresh-up over 1600m. If anything she looks better than last season, which is a bit scary for everyone else since she won seven in a row in her last campaign.

Pretty chuffed with my selections for Hawke's Bay Today - had The Black Oak as my third selection for the second race, and he won and paid $44.60.

_Ed_

Fully Fledged absolutely awesome at Te Rapa, beating a good 1200m field by 7 lengths under a hold.

Shame the 2000 Guineas fixed odds prices didn't come out before that performance.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how you and I can keep this thread going on by ourselves, Ed... :D

Great Northern day today - I would have been cashed up if I had won Pick Six last night. Got the leg with the $29 winner, but missed a horse that returned a positive three weeks ago. Very dark.

_Ed_

Gutted. :(

We had the first 2yo race of the season earlier today at Wanganui, and the favourite came out and won it by 7. Very impressive.

_Ed_

Not usually much of a fan of jumps racing, but I have to admit the Northern is a pretty ****ing awesome race.

Not many better steeplechases in the world, IMO.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Stunning win by Hypnotize - horses just shouldn't be able to sprint like that at the end of a 6400m race. Great to see them all jump so well too.

_Ed_

Sir Slick's running again in Melbourne on Saturday - this has got to be bordering on animal cruelty. He's had more than 80 starts now.

In contrast, it was good to see a trainer who really looks after his horses well in Roger James have a couple of very impressive debut winners at Te Aroha yesterday. Islington Bay in particular is a huge chance in the 2000 Guineas IMO.

_Ed_

Islington Bay in particular is a huge chance in the 2000 Guineas IMO.
Or not. Kildonan was pretty spectacular again today. Amazing training performance by Yves Seguin - the horse hasn't raced since his debut in June, or even had a trial, but he was in great condition today and performed accordingly.

Pretty stark contrast with the handling of poor Sir Slick.

_Ed_

Just back from the Kelt. 9th year in a row I've gone, tempted to say this was the best...it took a long time to beat Cinder Bella's one in 2001 but this year was absolutely awesome.

Oh, and Weekend Hussler came 8th in his race over in Melbourne! Have to say that made me laugh, after hearing some dumbarse had put a $1 million bet on him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Kelt will prove to be an outstanding form race this season (although I'm biased because I got a slice of the trifecta). I watched the Princess all the way around and she had the right to have excuses, particularly when she was caught off heels around the 1400m, but that withering burst she has is something else. Equally meritorious was Red Ruler's return to form, with the blinkers making a big difference as he kicked on for second. He, too, had his excuses, having been pushed wide at the top of the straight. Boundless was half a run short according to her trainer, but boxed on for fourth, while Nom Du Jeu's third will see him move forward across the Tasman (along with the other top four) with plenty of confidence in the Baker camp.

_Ed_

Absolutely.

Massive run by Prize Lady for sixth as well, she has to be hard to beat in the next 2 mile race she runs in on that performance.

_Ed_

Oh this has made my day. Couple of gems from a certain RaceCafe poster...

Looking forward to seeing the future star SIEM REAP tear up Te Rapa Today in 1 09.88 under a hold in his first start back since his stroll in the park victory on this track back in Feb. This gelded son of Bertolini is something else as you race nuts will witness today. Royce has had some top class cattle over the years & this bloke might just the best yet that he has put a saddle on. Enjoy folks as Horses of this class are few & far between.
The only thing that will stop it. Is you clowns with your poultry $1..00 trebles & doubles. Yours truly has forgotton more about class horses than you have had hot dinners. On Yah Baby.
Comes 4th.

Love it.