• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It has been excellent so far.

Ooh, a horse who has never won on anything wetter than good just won race two. If Seachange wins I'll have to do a nice little replay of the race with slightly lame feel-good music. Like Tina Turner's Simply The Best, but preferably less cliched.

Edit: Seachange's main rival in the race in terms of ability, Darjina, has just been late scratched. I've found this out before Trackside TV has mentioned it. For shame. :p

Last edited:

_Ed_

Interesting debate over the future of thoroughbred racing in Auckland, with it being decided that two tracks is the best option rather than the three we currently have. So obviously, one of Pukekohe or Avondale have to go.

I'd be in favour of the latter. The members' facilities are really more reminiscent of the Tower of London than a stand, and the trips up the steps to get there are increasingly precarious. Maybe the lift would be better...but if the rest of the stand is anything to go by I think I'd rather steer clear of that altogether.

However, Avondale has its share of devoted followers who are doing all they can to protect their beloved old dear.

Another option apparently is to get rid of both Avondale and Pukekohe and build a new track altogether. Lovely idea, but...where would they put it? And how would they fund it?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Avondale is a joke in terms of facilities - an utter throwback to the 70s. I am certain nothing has been done to many of the rooms since night racing was abandoned 25-odd years ago. Track seems alright though, but a lot of work has gone into Pukekohe Park too. That said, having a racecourse inside a motor racing track really isn't ideal.

_Ed_

Yeah the Avondale track's alright, the same can't be said about the stabling area though. (Although Ellerslie needs some improvement there too, the stables at the moment are in the old tote building!)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the Avondale track's alright, the same can't be said about the stabling area though. (Although Ellerslie needs some improvement there too, the stables at the moment are in the old tote building!)
Alexandra Park has it sorted. The perfect set-up for horsemen and women and owners alike - with the birdcage, stables and track all within 10 metres of each other. That's what they're doing at Addington at the moment too with the renovations.

_Ed_

Yeah that's the way it should be. Not easily to replicate at Ellerslie though...unless they set up the stabling area in the infield I guess.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another option apparently is to get rid of both Avondale and Pukekohe and build a new track altogether. Lovely idea, but...where would they put it? And how would they fund it?
The industry has been looking to get rid of Avondale for years by all accounts. A big white elephant with land worth a **** load of money and a stubborn as old boots Club that still thinks its something. The sooner they need to plough a motorway through there to force the issue, the better.

_Ed_

The industry has been looking to get rid of Avondale for years by all accounts. A big white elephant with land worth a **** load of money and a stubborn as old boots Club that still thinks its something. The sooner they need to plough a motorway through there to force the issue, the better.
Agree!

The Avondale Cup could be a Group 2 or Group 3 at Avondale in the next couple of years...or a Group 1 worth twice as much run at Ellerslie. I'm amazed it's even being debated.

_Ed_

Grafton Cup day (NSW)on thursday, any tips (i'm attending with about 80 bucks to blow)
Would probably go for Art Success in that race. Not with any great confidence though.

Another one to look at might be How Cannhe in Race 7 - went some nice races in NZ before going over there.

_Ed_

I hear the Interdominions might be run at the Gold Coast.

So Chris Barsby calling I assume? That's something I don't want to miss.

_Ed_

Winter thoroughbred racing is absolutely atrocious. Can't stand it.

But, only 37 days 'til the Mudgway. I'll keep reminding myself that.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Winter thoroughbred racing is absolutely atrocious. Can't stand it.
You'd almost be grateful to see those abandonments for the last three Saturdays then? Nice open handicap at Wanganui today though - Bulginbaah super-tough while that was a Winter Cup trial and a half for Cape Cover.

_Ed_

I ordinarily wouldn't mind the abandonments, no...but being at work and needing to fill the 35 minute gaps is no fun at all.

Yeah today's race was excellent I have to admit. Tough bastard, that Bulginbaah. Not a nice sight seeing them all scrambling to the outside fence though - one even hit it today!

_Ed_

Some nice performances up at Ruakaka today, a bit of a glimpse of Spring racing.

Who Knows took out the 1300m open race, having won the same event last year. Poor bastard, the best 1200m horses are a bit too quick for him and he can't quite get 1400 against top company. Still, 8 wins from 31 isn't too shabby and a nice performance today. Best run in the race was Gaze in 3rd though, absolute beauty.

Couple of talented youngsters as well, Gigino in the first of the day (only won by a nose against a field he really should have beaten by half a dozen, but a win is a win and he'll improve with the run), and a first-starter called The Diamond Knight who produced a massive finish to beat the stakes-placed (but still maiden) Fyfetheknife.

Had a really good day up there. Other tracks around the country this time of year are having 1200 run in not much less than 1:20, Ruakaka has 1:11.68. Love the place, tbh.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Magic Cape a bit of a disappointment but can't read much into a performance over 1300m for him. I'm sure he'll take some improvement from the run.

Onto harness, unbelievable effort from Dexter Dunn to take the national drivers' premiership in his first full season of driving, and ending up with the fourth-highest season total - 146- in NZ history. Started off the new season well with a win in his first drive on Sunday. Nice guy from all accounts and his employer, Cran Dalgety, is a very professional and easygoing bloke, so good on 'em.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Sounds like there will be an extra four $1 million races on the thoroughbred calendar this season - the 2000 Guineas, Telegraph, Derby and Auckland Cup.

Absolutely thrilled about those two 3yo races, couldn't care less about the handicaps but it's good to see that sort of money being given out. Having said that though, the Telegraph has had some outstanding horses win it in recent years - Keeninsky, King's Chapel, Darci Brahma, Seachange...