• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

10 best All Blacks ever

Francis

State Vice-Captain
NOTE: If someone here thinks this should be in the rugby thread, then that's fine with me. I just felt this topic might get enough attention in the rugby thread, and also too many topics in one thread can get too much at times. I'm not meaning to clog up space though.

You know, something that interests me when I've spoken with New Zealanders is how hard they are on their players when it comes to designating them as "great". I mean it's a severe case of tall poppy syndrome. So that gets me thinking, which players in All Black history (a long and prosperous history) would be in their top 10 best ever.

Definitely to make it one has to do something majorly historic, like Don Clarke kicking NZ to victory over South Africa etc. One really had to be apart of one of their grestest teams to get a nod for the list. Now I'll admit I am definitely no expert on rugby, but here's an attempted top 10 based on a heck of a lot of conversation I've had with different New Zealanders.

1. Colin Meads
Seems to be a general concensus pick for a lot of Kiwi's. He doesn't exactly sound like the nicest and fairest player on earth, and for that reason my number two pick could've been number one based on his spirit for the game. But there's a lot of strong testimony on the net talking about how great Meads was.

2. Sean Fitzpatrick
I don't know if New Zealanders think as highly of him as northern hemisphere folks do. One Kiwi I talked to thought he was the best All Black ever - mainly for his captaincy. Certainly a lot of people here rate him because he was a constant in a lineage of great front rows. The fact that he was such a great captain puts him over the top, and then there's the significance of winning on SA soil... the significance of which was enphised greatly by one I talked to.

3. Michael Jones
I was reading about him just the other day. Sounds like many felt he was the perfect rugby player. He makes it for reportedly being the best player NZ had during their winning streak from 1986-1990.

4. Don Clarke
I have no doubt there's probably a few All Blacks who would be greater than him... but not many more famous. His kicking ability is still used in metaphors like "oh that's a Don Clarke kick".

5. Brian Lochore
Makes it for being a stalwart of the All Blacks team that had a winning streak from 1966-1969... in fact he was captain wasn't he?

6. George Nepia
I sort of feel weird having such a player on my list. I mean how good was the quality of rugby in the 1920s? Who knows maybe it was good. But during one conversation I had with a Kiwi while playing tennis, it became apparent to me that he was THE STAR of the Invincibles side. I mean he stands out after all this time. So he makes the list.

7. Zinzan Brooke
Zinzan makes the list because he's rated highly by Kiwi's already. Often time shows how ones legacy can be gauged, but there's no second guessing this guys greatness. I once asked a Kiwi, "what did you think of Grant Fox?" He laughed and said he couldn't score a try to save his life. I asked a different one, "how bout Lomu?" and he cut him down. Nobody cuts Zinzan down.

8. Ian Kirkpatrick
Picked for being a constant for so long in the All Blacks. I've been trying to find the 1971 Lions tour to NZ on DVD so I can see how good he really was.

9. Buck Shelford
I hesitated in putting Shelford on the list. He is VERY LOVED by every Kiwi I have ever conversed with. I guess I picked him for being the spirit of the team during such a great period, leading from the front etc. Sort of the man who epitomises everything that Kiwi's love about the All Blacks. I get the feeling though there were many better than him as a player.

10. Sid Going
The man Gareth Edwards said was the best he'd ever played against, that says a lot.

Anyway that's no great list because I've tossed a few names in there based on different criteria. Someone here's gonna do a list FAR better than that one. And there are Kiwi's here, so they'd do the job well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There are better qualified posters on here that me to say, but Meads was, by repute, the dirtiest player ever to pull on the black jersey as well as being one of the best. He (allegedly) finished Ken Catchpole's (Oz scrum-half) career by yanking him one-footed out of a ruck & shredding his groin so badly he never played again.

I remember reading after the 4th Lions test in 1966 when Pinetree (6' 4" & 16st) had laid out our stand-off Dai Watkins (5' 6" & 10st dripping wet) with a spectacular haymaker the British press had asked what he thought he was doing. Meads replied, "Aw, Jeez, gents, not guilty. It's an open-and-shut case of self-defence." :D

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Colin Meads easily, it's too hard to judge the others but I think by far Meads was our best. Greatest living New Zealander in my opinion.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A top ten will prove too troublesome for me, so I'll go with the best XV you could select.

15. George Nepia (of course, back in his day, he would be wearing #1)
14. Jeff Wilson/John Kirwan/Bryan Williams
13. Bert Cooke
12. Bill Osborne (Ian McRae unlucky)
11. Ron Jarden (Lomu unlucky)
10. Dan Carter
9. Dave Loveridge
8. Sir Brian Lochore
7. Michael Jones
6. Ian Kirkpatrick
5. Andy Haden (not easy - no real standout second lock)
4. Colin Meads
3. Ken Gray (Hayman could be there in a couple of years)
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
1. Wilson Whineray (c)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Showing my ignorance, but what the hey, I'll let you guys all have a laugh at my expense, but what about Lomu?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not ignorant at all, he'd be close IMO.

I agree mostly with Voltman's XV, but I'd have trouble picking between Nepia and Christian Cullen, and Richie McCaw would be pushing pretty hard for a spot too I'd imagine. But that may just be me favouring more recent players for no good reason other than seeing much more of them than those who played longer ago.

Perm

When Hayman, McCaw and Carter retire I think they could all be in with a decent chance of making our best XV but I find it hard to judge when they are still playing.

15. George Nepia
14. Jeff Wilson
13. Frank Bunce
12. Bill Osbourne
11. John Kirwan
10. Grant Fox
9. Justin Marshall
8. Zinzan Brooke
7. Michael Jones
6. Ian Kirkpatrick
5. Colin Meads
4. Ian Jones
3. Ken Gray
2. Sean Fitzpatrick
1. Wilson Whineray (c)

Whilst Lomu was special I beleive he received too much hype from the press, definately from the English press and was made into some sort of superhero which he wasn't. He could do amazing things when you got the ball in his hand but I prefer JK and Goldie who were also very special players.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
There are better qualified posters on here that me to say, but Meads was, by repute, the dirtiest player ever to pull on the black jersey as well as being one of the best. He (allegedly) finished Ken Catchpole's (Oz scrum-half) career by yanking him one-footed out of a ruck & shredding his groin so badly he never played again.

I remember reading after the 4th Lions test in 1966 when Pinetree (6' 4" & 16st) had laid out our stand-off Dai Watkins (5' 6" & 10st dripping wet) with a spectacular haymaker the British press had asked what he thought he was doing. Meads replied, "Aw, Jeez, gents, not guilty. It's an open-and-shut case of self-defence." :D

Nah, it was Jamie Joseph., he was the dirtiest player ever.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Nah, it was Jamie Joseph., he was the dirtiest player ever.
Corne Krige...

Actually, the dirtiest player ever to pull on an All Black jersey was Richard Loe - not just for what he did at international level, but his disgraceful eyegouging of Greg Cooper in the 1992 NPC final - caught on TV cameras for the whole country to see.

Perm

Voltman said:
Actually, the dirtiest player ever to pull on an All Black jersey was Richard Loe - not just for what he did at international level, but his disgraceful eyegouging of Greg Cooper in the 1992 NPC final - caught on TV cameras for the whole country to see.
Agreed. Tough as nails but very dirty.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Krige was bad; had something of a Napoleon complex (I guess 6' 2" is short-ish for a flanker nowadays) & seemed determined to "prove" himself at the earliest opportunity. Grewcock's a niggley bugger too really; Jute warned him for hair-pulling (I didn't see whose locks he tugged) on Sunday. Classy from a bloke of 34. He's a bit of a cheap-shot merchant too; I remember a couple of years back him belting Dallaglio in a Premiership match when Loz was trapped at the bottom of a ruck.

Only thing I really remember about Joseph is his outrageous stamp on Bracken's ankle when we beat the ABs in 93 (IIRC). Turned up playing for Japan in a WC later too I think.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Grewcock grabbed the debutant Ellis' hair.

Loe was just a thug. While Joseph's act was semi-related to the play (not that I'm justifying it), Loe's forearm hit on Carozza in 1992 was nothing short of cowardly.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw this program on Fox yesterday about All Black legends in the SANZAR era, totally amazed by Zinzan Brooke. Just a machine.

Xuhaib

International Coach
What about that all-black who played cricket aswell but was quite crap at it, i think Wilson was his name:unsure:

Craig

World Traveller
It was Jeff Wilson and Brian McKechnie was the other one I can think of.

Actualy Voltman will probably prove me wrong but I think IIRC it was him or Haden who took a dive on a tour of the UK and Ireland to win a penalty against Wales (again I could be wrong) to get a draw. They did the Grand Slam on that tour.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
It was Jeff Wilson and Brian McKechnie was the other one I can think of.

Actualy Voltman will probably prove me wrong but I think IIRC it was him or Haden who took a dive on a tour of the UK and Ireland to win a penalty against Wales (again I could be wrong) to get a draw. They did the Grand Slam on that tour.
1978 - Haden dived out of the lineout in the dying minutes of the test against Wales, when NZ were down 12-10. Although the referee actually gave the penalty against Welsh lock Geoff Wheel, who leaned on his opposite, Frank Oliver, to claim the lineout ball, which was illegal. McKechnie (a replacement) kicked the penalty.

Perm

Brian McKechnie was also involved in the underarm incident, correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive he faced the ball that Trevor Chappell bowled illegaly.

Perm

Well done Voltman, well done. Well he faced the ball that Chappell bowled.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Matt79 said:
Showing my ignorance, but what the hey, I'll let you guys all have a laugh at my expense, but what about Lomu?
Exactly what I was going to say. Know Jack about rugby but I'd have assumed he was up there.