• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Diego Maradona

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ok, I'd like to know what people's objective opinions are of Diego Maradona ?

For mine, I think he is the best footballer I have ever seen.....man some of the moves he effected during the 1986 WC were just breathtaking especially that goal wehere he weaved past five Englishmen to score....., as well as that perfect back pass to Jorge Valdano without even looking.

And I have to admit, I found "Hand of God" incredibly amusing.....the audacity and cheekiness of it was quite something.....(no doubt quite a few of my English friends will have their say on this but I hope we can have a robust debate :laugh: )

I'd rank him ahead of Platini and Zinedine Zidane as the best footballers I have seen (altho I admit from the limited video clips I saw....Garrincha and Pele were pretty aweseome).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never really saw much of him other than the "Hand of God" moment but he has definately caused a lot of controversy and headlines in his day.

cameeel

International Captain
No matter how good he was as a player, the fact that he has said that the 'hand of god' incident was deliberate means I have absolutely no respect for him. I don't really care who won that World Cup, but for a player of his standing to blatantly cheat then state that he doesn't regret is shameful.

Cloete

International Captain
Best player in the history of football IMO.

Possibly one of the biggest tools as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty hard as a English football fan to have an objective opinion about the fat, drug-addled, stumpy, money-grabbing little cheat.

He is massively overrated tho; his legend was basically based around his performance in the 1986 WC. He was very impressive, undoubtedly, but he was rubbish at Barca to such an extent that only a decidely second-rank Italian club would touch him afterwards. True, they won a couple of titles, but did the square root of sweet Fanny Adams in Europe.

At his peak he was probably the most skillful player I've seen play in a match I've seen unfold live (albeit only on telly), but others have had longer peaks & thus were arguably more effective players. A 34 year old Zidane nearly dragged France to the title; at the same age Maradona was so pumped full of drugs his eyes were practically on stalks (witness his celeb after his goal in the 94 WC just before he got pinged for drugs).

Craig

World Traveller
His other goal against England (not 'Hand of God', the other one) was quite possibly one of the best I have ever seen, in fact I will say it is the best I have seen. The distance he ran, beat a thousand men (ok not that amount, just doing my best Paul Vautin impersation and only League fans + Steds and BB would get it)and smashed it home past the 'keeper (and England's goal keepers in the 70's & 80's were not rubbish either) :mellow:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Stunning player, comfortably the second-best to have ever played the beautiful game. What he did at Napoli is unsurpassed in terms of one player catalysing an ordinary team into a great one.

I saw him play at some charity game earlier this year (only reason I went TBH) and even though he could barely run, his right foot was still brilliant - probably still not far off Premiership class even now.

Interesting that he's in talks to become the Honduras manager. I don't think he's management material, but given the Argentinian infrastructure I can see him managing Boca or Argentina some day.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
I saw him play at some charity game earlier this year (only reason I went TBH) and even though he could barely run, his right foot was still brilliant - probably still not far off Premiership class even now.
Wasn't he always left footed?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
Interesting that he's in talks to become the Honduras manager. I don't think he's management material, but given the Argentinian infrastructure I can see him managing Boca or Argentina some day.
Diego Maradona being appointed as a manager is akin to Gary Ablett Senior getting a gig as an AFL coach. Great players but completely not suited to running a team, it's crazy talk.

grecian

There may be a time when I can view Maradona in is proper context as one of the games greats.

That time is not now, cheating little druggie scumbag.

grecian

He says its not cheating, its craftiness, rot in hell you slime, honestly how did lineker do that interview without smacking the smarmy git one.:ph34r: