• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Snooker: Aussie reaches final

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
There are some snooker fans hiding around CW, so I thought I'd post a thread to commemorate the first Aussie ranking tournament final appearance since the 1970s (at least from what I can dig out of Wikipedia).

The bloke in question is Neil Robertson from Melbourne, who reached the final of the Grand Prix tournament in Aberdeen. He started a bit shabbily in the tournament, losing 2-3 to Nigel Bond, but due to the round robin system he survived thanks to wins in the next four games, and he's simply got better and better during the knockouts. He beat Andrew Norman 5-3, then Ronnie O'Sullivan 5-1 (!) and today he went down 0-2 against the only remaining Scot, Alan McManus - only to play fantastic snooker and win the next six frames. He rounded off by potting black on the top after rebounding off the baulk cushion - amazing shot.

He'll meet Jamie Cope, two years his junior, who's also been great in this tournament - I think he'd have struggled if he met John Higgins, but Higgins was ridden by errors in his QF against Mark King, who was no match for Cope and lost 3-6. Cope has, among other things, made a 147 in the tournament, and smashed Ken Doherty 5-0 in the last 16. Should be a very good final tomorrow.

Now, let's see if any Aussies have actually heard of the bloke... ;)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Decent player. Good luck to him.

Not a fan of the new format of the Grand Prix, though. Group stages are open to abuse and I hate the shorter matches. The fact that one ranking tournament consists of games so much shorter than all the other ranking tournaments is a farce, too. It's like Twenty20 games going towards Test rankings.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I've heard of a few of the others you mentioned, but not the Australian. Snooker gets very little coverage in Australia. There's the occasional match on pay TV at 3 in the morning, but that's it. If an Australian won a major tournament it'd make the news, but it wouldn't get shown on TV.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I've heard of a few of the others you mentioned, but not the Australian.
Ever heard of Quinten Hann? He was another aussie snooker player. Was a ****ing tool. Recently banned for 8 years for match fixing.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
steds said:
Ever heard of Quinten Hann? He was another aussie snooker player. Was a ****ing tool. Recently banned for 8 years for match fixing.

From Wagga I believe. Complete and utter moron.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steds said:
Decent player. Good luck to him.

Not a fan of the new format of the Grand Prix, though. Group stages are open to abuse and I hate the shorter matches. The fact that one ranking tournament consists of games so much shorter than all the other ranking tournaments is a farce, too. It's like Twenty20 games going towards Test rankings.
Well the players get well over 20 frames to try and make the last 16, so I don't see what's wrong with it personally. The players usually play in mini-sessions of 4 frames anyway, the likes of Dott moaning about is pretty pathetic really. I mean the guy would do away with snooker if he had the chance because he's so dire to watch, it's not his place to go whingeing in public about it (his brother is a Scrabble player and he whinged just as much when 5 point penalty challenges were mooted on the Scrabble mailing list, threatened to quit the game).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Wasn't he the fella who had a boxing match with another player? Mark King, possibly?

Hadn't heard about the ban. A tool tho, as you say.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
the likes of Dott moaning about is pretty pathetic really. I mean the guy would do away with snooker if he had the chance because he's so dire to watch
My favourite player, actually. :ph34r:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Wasn't he the fella who had a boxing match with another player? Mark King, possibly?
Yup. Wiki says he also has his nose broken in a boxing match with a gaelic footballer.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He's taken Frame 4 from Cope's back pocket. Needed Reds and Blacks to win by 1 point. He got Reds and Blacks, and now leads by 3-1.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He looks pretty talented. Cope isn't going to be able to pot his way to wins for his whole career.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh, Robertson got dead jammy when he missed a red at 64-0, Cope just didn't make enough of his chances and his safety was weak.

9-5 and trophy to the Aussie.